Irvin just confirmed he was Patterson's mystery coach

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Irvin just confirmed he was Patterson's mystery coach

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: It's hard to answer that without knowing what they're doing. Does he get any snaps with the first team? The second team? Are his route-running struggles still an issue and if so, are they so monumental that he needs one-one-one tutoring? If so, have they considered bringing in someone to provide him with that extra help and get him up to speed? If he's a slow learner and he can't seem to grasp the full extent of the offense have they considered limiting his responsibilities to a package of plays (but not one so narrow that it's uselessly predictable)? Is there any real effort at all being made to bring this high draft pick along and develop him into a pass-catching wide receiver at this point? How many reps does he even get at the position or does he do most of his work with the special teams now?

As I've already said, I don't know what's going on. I'd like to know. Maybe they're doing everything they can reasonably be expected to do with Patterson. We're in the dark. Consequently, all I see is a first round pick who showed explosive playmaking ability in his rookie season and in the first game of this coaching staff's tenure now rotting away on the bench with no clear explanation for it.
Thats fair. Maybe I am lumping your posts in with some of the others which seem to place distinct blame on "Norv", the coaches, etc. I will try to be more aware if that's what I'm doing. Your second paragraph is spot on. It is very frustrating to see such talent being squandered.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Thats fair. Maybe I am lumping your posts in with some of the others which seem to place distinct blame on "Norv", the coaches, etc. I will try to be more aware if that's what I'm doing. Your second paragraph is spot on. It is very frustrating to see such talent being squandered.

Thanks and that's basically where I'm at on the subject: it's frustrating to see that talent being squandered and I just want to know why it's happening and, what if anything, is being done to try to make something out of that talent. It obviously has to start with Patterson himself...
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote:
Thanks and that's basically where I'm at on the subject: it's frustrating to see that talent being squandered and I just want to know why it's happening and, what if anything, is being done to try to make something out of that talent. It obviously has to start with Patterson himself...

But if he is terrible and lazy in practice is there actually talent being squandered?

If a tree falls in the forest...

Can God make a rock so big that he, himself cant lift...

:lol:

I see your point I just don't really see how we can figure that out short of the Vikings giving us all Week long practice passes to watch them.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:But if he is terrible and lazy in practice is there actually talent being squandered?

If a tree falls in the forest...

Can God make a rock so big that he, himself cant lift...

I see your point I just don't really see how we can figure that out short of the Vikings giving us all Week long practice passes to watch them.
We can't but the press could actually dig into it or the Vikings could tell us something. Of course, the latter isn't going to happen without prompting so I see the paucity of information on this as a press issue. Maybe Zimmer has made it clear that they're getting nothing on this subject so they've given up trying. Patterson doesn't seem interested in talking (probably wise).
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote: We can't but the press could actually dig into it or the Vikings could tell us something. Of course, the latter isn't going to happen without prompting so I see the paucity of information on this as a press issue. Maybe Zimmer has made it clear that they're getting nothing on this subject so they've given up trying. Patterson doesn't seem interested in talking (probably wise).

To be clear I would love a deluge of data and video that we could analyse regarding Patterson. I share your frustration I guess mine is just tempered by my sheep like obedience to Zimmer.

:govikes: :govikes: :govikes: :govikes: :govikes: :govikes: :govikes: :govikes: :govikes: :govikes:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:To be clear I would love a deluge of data and video that we could analyse regarding Patterson. I share your frustration I guess mine is just tempered by my sheep like obedience to Zimmer.

He does seem to inspire a certain cult-like devotion among fans.

There's a lot to like about the guy.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Frpm Sid Hartman's column:
Patterson returns to form

Vikings return man Cordarrelle Patterson has started to return kicks like he did during his rookie season, when the 2013 first-round draftpick was a first-team All-Pro as a special teams player.

With three games to go in the season, Patterson already has topped his kickoff return total from 2014. He has 30 returns for 933 yards in 13 games this year, compared with 34 returns for 871 yards last season. His 31.1 yards per return is the highest in the NFL.

Patterson also led the league in returns per kick his rookie year with 32.4 and had two TDs that season, a total that he has matched this year.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:Frpm Sid Hartman's column:
This is really good news! Maybe that means Patterson is healthy and has his confidence where it needs to be. I hope it leads to playing time on the offense..
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

As our offense transitions to this quick hitting, horizontal, YAC fest I can't help but think how much damage Patterson could do in a system like that. This guy is an absolute monster with the ball in his hands and all signs point to this being the way we should play with the personnel we have. Patterson might have sucked bad at running the deeper routes and those vertical concepts Turner's offense relied on at the start but what we're doing now seriously feels like it'd be tailor made for him.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mondry wrote:As our offense transitions to this quick hitting, horizontal, YAC fest I can't help but think how much damage Patterson could do in a system like that. This guy is an absolute monster with the ball in his hands and all signs point to this being the way we should play with the personnel we have. Patterson might have sucked bad at running the deeper routes and those vertical concepts Turner's offense relied on at the start but what we're doing now seriously feels like it'd be tailor made for him.
One would think so. The "problem" is we're getting great contributions from Wright and Diggs on those routes as well. I still want to see more of Patterson in place of Wallace but that won't happen. Even if Wallace gets injured, one would think CJ is higher on the depth chart to replace him. Patterson has been completely phased out of the offense and it doesn't look like he'll ever be back in this season. :cry:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote: One would think so. The "problem" is we're getting great contributions from Wright and Diggs on those routes as well. I still want to see more of Patterson in place of Wallace but that won't happen. Even if Wallace gets injured, one would think CJ is higher on the depth chart to replace him. Patterson has been completely phased out of the offense and it doesn't look like he'll ever be back in this season. :cry:
I understand fully why it's not likely to happen and I wouldn't bench diggs or wright for him, I probably wouldn't even bench wallace for him at this point but I would give him say, 8-12 snaps a game and go from there. Wallace probably won't be here next year and Wright is a VERY strong #3 WR but Patterson in the right fit would be down right scary and imo I think this offense and what we're doing now seems right up his Alley for how he would succeed in the league.

I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being a big time "oops" down the road.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Count me as one of the people dreaming of what Flash could do in this offense. :/
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I think the coaching staff may be holding on to the ball too long in this situation.
Maybe, assuming they get in, they will have playoff package for some CP. That would defintely give some defenses a pause in the right situations.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

mondry wrote:
I understand fully why it's not likely to happen and I wouldn't bench diggs or wright for him, I probably wouldn't even bench wallace for him at this point but I would give him say, 8-12 snaps a game and go from there. Wallace probably won't be here next year and Wright is a VERY strong #3 WR but Patterson in the right fit would be down right scary and imo I think this offense and what we're doing now seems right up his Alley for how he would succeed in the league.

I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being a big time "oops" down the road.
The problem with that is the Vikings only ran 25 plays out of the 3 WR set. 8-12 plays would be 30-50% of the time. They ran 2 or more WRS for 40 plays total, which would put that at 20-30% for 8-12 plays.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

MrPurplenGold wrote: The problem with that is the Vikings only ran 25 plays out of the 3 WR set. 8-12 plays would be 30-50% of the time. They ran 2 or more WRS for 40 plays total, which would put that at 20-30% for 8-12 plays.
Yeah, so 8 plays, 4 from wallace, 4 from wright most likely gets it done. It'd be worth experimenting imo before the playoffs start and against a weak opponent like the bears it probably wouldn't have cost us when we're up by 14+ points.