Four wins for division

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Four wins for division

Post by Raptorman »

jackal wrote:Green Bay can't afford too many more losses ..beyond Arizona .. which i think we lose as well...

If Detroit sweeps GB this week we would only need two more wins for the division I think
That would be true if one of the wins was over Green Bay.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

So even if we are 11-5 and there
10-6 if we don't beat them once
we don't take the division.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

jackal wrote:So even if we are 11-5 and there
10-6 if we don't beat them once
we don't take the division.

? If we have a better record then them it doesn't matter how many times they beat us.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

? If we have a better record then them it doesn't matter how many times they beat us.
Yeah I thought so, but was curious after the Raptorman post, maybe I misunderstood his post...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

jackal wrote: Yeah I thought so, but was curious after the Raptorman post, maybe I misunderstood his post...
It's simple. If we tie Green Bay, whoever wins the last game wins the division. Say at the end of the year, both teams are 10-6. whoever won the last game wins the division. If Green Bay wins the last game they take the first tie breaker, head to head. If the Vikings win, they take the second tie breaker, best record in the division.

That is why it is important to win a few more games, it will take that last game out of the equation.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Raptorman wrote:It's simple. If we tie Green Bay, whoever wins the last game wins the division. Say at the end of the year, both teams are 10-6. whoever won the last game wins the division. If Green Bay wins the last game they take the first tie breaker, head to head. If the Vikings win, they take the second tie breaker, best record in the division.

That is why it is important to win a few more games, it will take that last game out of the equation.
The Packers remaining games:

@ Detroit
Cowboys
@ Oakland
@ Arizona
Minnesota
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

We are all Detroit fans on Thursday. Then again, I'm always a fan of whomever is playing the Packers. ALWAYS.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Mothman wrote: The Packers remaining games:

@ Detroit
Cowboys
@ Oakland
@ Arizona
Minnesota
And at the current level of play of the Packers, they could lose all 5. But I doubt it. My guess would be 3-2.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Raptorman wrote:And at the current level of play of the Packers, they could lose all 5. But I doubt it. My guess would be 3-2.
Same here... and hopefully, the Vikings will be responsible for one of those 2 GB losses. :)
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

So I read the NFL tie breaking procedures:

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

If I'm reading this correctly the divisional champion is the team with the best W-L-T %, not the best divisional record. In fact, divisional record is the 2nd tie breaker, head to head is the first.

So the only way week 17 doesn't matter is if going into week 17 the Vikings have 2 more wins that GB. (and no Ties).

So as it was at the start of the season, we just need to take care of our business every week and the rest will take care of itself. Strength of schedule definitely seems to favor GB, but they have been laying some eggs against marginal opponents the past 5 weeks. The Chicago loss put us in the driver's seat and every win we get will keep the pressure on GB to win or fall out of contention. The heat is on for them.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi