The Viking Age is Upon Us

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

The Viking Age is Upon Us

Post by Mothman »

This is one of the best articles I've read abut the Vikes this season. I highly recommend it:

From MMQB's Andy Benoit:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/11/16/minn ... fl-week-10
America, meet the Minnesota Vikings, the best team in the NFC North—both in record and in actuality. During the summer, many predicted the Vikings would take that Next Step under second-year coach Mike Zimmer. But no one forecast that a Week 10 victory at Oakland would be their seventh of the year. This morning, they lead the North for three reasons:

1. Their offense has a distinct identity, centered around Adrian Peterson and the power running game.

2. Their defense is young, fast in all the right places and very well-schemed.

3. The rival Packers currently have a poorly coached, mediocre offense that happens to be led by a phenomenal quarterback. (And that quarterback has been inconsistent lately.)

But the purpose of this article is not to condemn the Packers, who entered Week 10 amidst a two-game skid and came out of it home losers to the Lions for the first time since 1991. (If you’re interested in what’s triggering Green Bay’s struggles, read my Extra Point from two weeks ago, which followed their first loss of the season. The ills of that game were repeated last week at Carolina. And, presumably, without yet confirming on the coaches film, repeated again this week against Detroit.)

The purpose of this article is to introduce casual fans to the upstart Vikings, necessary considering Minnesota hasn’t had a nationally televised game since a dreadful Week 1 Monday Night showing at San Francisco. Let’s take the tour.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Re: The Viking Age is Upon Us

Post by Jordysghost »

Yea, Id like this article alot too, if I was a Vikings fan!

:lol:
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:Yea, Id like this article alot too, if I was a Vikings fan!

I imagine it's a lot less pleasurable to read for a Packers fan.

With a good enough game on Sunday, your team could have the press singing a very different tune next week. I obviously hope it doesn't work out that way though!
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Mothman wrote: I imagine it's a lot less pleasurable to read for a Packers fan.

With a good enough game on Sunday, your team could have the press singing a very different tune next week. I obviously hope it doesn't work out that way though!
There are a multitude of points made within that i completely disagree with, but I think it be smart for me to just leave it at that.

Reminds me of all the Lions garbage last year, maybe the Vikings will prove more deserving.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Jordysghost wrote: There are a multitude of points made within that i completely disagree with, but I think it be smart for me to just leave it at that.

Reminds me of all the Lions garbage last year, maybe the Vikings will prove more deserving.
Lucky thing that Jim really likes you :tongue:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Uh.. why do you say that?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:There are a multitude of points made within that i completely disagree with, but I think it be smart for me to just leave it at that.

We're going to find out!

Feel free to express your disagreement with points in the article if you'd like. I post links to articles like this to encourage discussion and I don't think I'm the only fan here interested in different perspectives. I imagine there are some points about the Vikings in that article that may not sit well with some Vikes fans either.
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

I read this earlier and was impressed that of all the nice things that were said about the purple, the writer portrayed the Vikings' weaknesses accurately.
"Meet at the quarterback"
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikeMike wrote:I read this earlier and was impressed that of all the nice things that were said about the purple, the writer portrayed the Vikings' weaknesses accurately.

That's what I liked bout it too. Overall, it seemed like a very fair and accurate assessment to me.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Jordysghost wrote:Yea, Id like this article alot too, if I was a Vikings fan!

Interesting how you laugh when somebody finally says something positive about the Vikings at the same time they say something negative about Green Bay.

Laughter by one's enemy is the surest sign of his fear.

Face it, man. You're afraid of what might come of this week. Not just talking about facing us Vikings fans on this board. Lose to us, and you could be a half game ahead of the Giants for the 6th seed.

I won't laugh. I want to, but I won't.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Interesting how you laugh when somebody finally says something positive about the Vikings at the same time they say something negative about Green Bay.

Laughter by one's enemy is the surest sign of his fear.

Face it, man. You're afraid of what might come of this week. Not just talking about facing us Vikings fans on this board. Lose to us, and you could be a half game ahead of the Giants for the 6th seed.

I won't laugh. I want to, but I won't.
Yea, being a sixth seed, we all know that never works out positively. :)

Im only laughing because I find it a gross over reaction, hell even if you guys whooped our #### twice this year I dont think that exactly means that a new era has risen and the Packers won't reclaim the role as big dog in the division any time soon. I think the idea that we suffer from 'poor coaching' is laughable at best, especially considering we have in my opinion the best coaching in the division.

I think its going to be an uphill battle to beat Aaron Rodgers and the Packers consistently for the division title, year in year out, and I think the outcome of Sundays game, or even this entire season isn't going to change that. Im the first to admit that right here right now you guys have a chance to break away and take this division this year, and I predicted that you would have such an opportunity prior to the draft.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:Yea, being a sixth seed, we all know that never works out positively. :)

Im only laughing because I find it a gross over reaction, hell even if you guys whooped our #### twice this year I dont think that exactly means that a new era has risen and the Packers won't reclaim the role as big dog in the division any time soon.
I don't think that's really what the article is suggesting either., merely that the author believes, right now, the Vikes are the best team in the division.
I think the idea that we suffer from 'poor coaching' is laughable at best, especially considering we have in my opinion the best coaching in the division.
Well, there's certainly a strong argument for that position but there's some pretty good coaching in this division now so it's at least debatable.
I think its going to be an uphill battle to beat Aaron Rodgers and the Packers consistently for the division title, year in year out, and I think the outcome of Sundays game, or even this entire season isn't going to change that.
Battle? Yes. Uphill? I'm not so sure. The Vikings are getting better. Hopefully, that's going to continue. I definitely think Zimmer's going to keep fielding strong defensive teams. The Bears are likely to get better over the next few years too. They're looking more competitive by the week. John Fox has gone to two NFL teams that had 4 wins or less the season before he arrived and had them at 11+ wins within two years. In fact, he had each team in the Super Bowl within 3 years. There were obviously a lot of other factors involved in those situations but the guy knows what he's doing and I'll be surprised if the Bears aren't competing for the division title within a year or two.

The Packers, with Rodgers, are obviously likely to remain very competitive too and I'd expect them to remain a contender in the North but I think their years of dominating the division are coming to an end.

If the Lions can get their act together, this could become the best division in football over the next few seasons. Even if they don't, that might happen.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Thing is Jim, I think the Packers are getting better too, now I know, that statement is whatever especially coming off the heels of a 3 game losing streak, but for 6 games this year you could have made a real argument that were by and large the best team in the league, we were the only team to be top 5 in both offense, and defense, and that was mighty encouraging being that we are (quite typically so) one of the youngest teams in the league, as is your squad.

Now of course, Denver happened and things started to come unglued a bit, the consistancy just isn't there, but what is encouraging, at least, depending on how you look at it, I don't believe we are that far off from our status quo, not one bit. Opportunitities are there, but we aren't taking an advantage of them like we typically do, dropping turnovers, Rodgers (Who I think is unjustifiably being cut too much slack for our recent slump) is missing touchdown passes, when he does put it on the money our WRs our dropping passes, running the wrong routes etc. etc. When we do right the ship and turn things around, its too little too late and we are forced to overcome large 4th quarter deficits, only to fall just short.

Injuries have really taken a toll imo, on both the progression of our Offense and Defense, our secondary was and is decimated (Playing decent despite this I might add) and our WR core seriously doesn't have one player on it who hasn't sustained an injury at some point this season, Cobb (Thank the Lord) has been able to play through his AC joint sprain, and im honestly terrified of what could have been had he not be able to that. Now don't get me wrong, im NOT using it as an excuse, Im a firm believer that injuries are a part of the game and something that must be overcome, I simply feel that injuries have coincided with inexperienced performances, and it has really schewed the numbers on what appeared to be, a fastly rising young unit, and it does not dissuade me from the belief that our D is chock full of young ascending players, because I truly believe it is.

In a less long winded way of putting things, I think we are an ascending young roster as well, who has hit there first obstacle on the path to success, and that will happen, the difference though, is that we have one of the greatest (The greatest, if your a sheer statistical out put kind of guy) QB in the history of the game to guide them through, but first he has to to break a funk of his own. (Not something unprecedented, mind you, as Aaron as great as he is hasn't been quite as infallible as the media occasionally makes it seem)

I think anytime a transcendial QB is in the division, it makes winning the division an uphill battle, unless you have one of your own, Brady, Manning, Marino, Montana, these guys didn't fall short of the division crown often, and with good reason. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think as long as Rodgers is our QB, there is only going to be one team in the division that takes home the NFCN Crown with any measure of consistancy, and that is us. Ill be interested to see if tbe Vikings or someone else can make me eat those words, but as of right now we have a more pressing, and concerning in my case, division battle/race to attend to.
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

Jordysghost wrote:Thing is Jim, I think the Packers are getting better too, now I know, that statement is whatever especially coming off the heels of a 3 game losing streak, but for 6 games this year you could have made a real argument that were by and large the best team in the league, we were the only team to be top 5 in both offense, and defense, and that was mighty encouraging being that we are (quite typically so) one of the youngest teams in the league, as is your squad.

Now of course, Denver happened and things started to come unglued a bit, the consistancy just isn't there, but what is encouraging, at least, depending on how you look at it, I don't believe we are that far off from our status quo, not one bit. Opportunitities are there, but we aren't taking an advantage of them like we typically do, dropping turnovers, Rodgers (Who I think is unjustifiably being cut too much slack for our recent slump) is missing touchdown passes, when he does put it on the money our WRs our dropping passes, running the wrong routes etc. etc. When we do right the ship and turn things around, its too little too late and we are forced to overcome large 4th quarter deficits, only to fall just short.

Injuries have really taken a toll imo, on both the progression of our Offense and Defense, our secondary was and is decimated (Playing decent despite this I might add) and our WR core seriously doesn't have one player on it who hasn't sustained an injury at some point this season, Cobb (Thank the Lord) has been able to play through his AC joint sprain, and im honestly terrified of what could have been had he not be able to that. Now don't get me wrong, im NOT using it as an excuse, Im a firm believer that injuries are a part of the game and something that must be overcome, I simply feel that injuries have coincided with inexperienced performances, and it has really schewed the numbers on what appeared to be, a fastly rising young unit, and it does not dissuade me from the belief that our D is chock full of young ascending players, because I truly believe it is.

In a less long winded way of putting things, I think we are an ascending young roster as well, who has hit there first obstacle on the path to success, and that will happen, the difference though, is that we have one of the greatest (The greatest, if your a sheer statistical out put kind of guy) QB in the history of the game to guide them through, but first he has to to break a funk of his own. (Not something unprecedented, mind you, as Aaron as great as he is hasn't been quite as infallible as the media occasionally makes it seem)

I think anytime a transcendial QB is in the division, it makes winning the division an uphill battle, unless you have one of your own, Brady, Manning, Marino, Montana, these guys didn't fall short of the division crown often, and with good reason. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think as long as Rodgers is our QB, there is only going to be one team in the division that takes home the NFCN Crown with any measure of consistancy, and that is us. Ill be interested to see if tbe Vikings or someone else can make me eat those words, but as of right now we have a more pressing, and concerning in my case, division battle/race to attend to.

Okay let me take a crack at this.
1.) Despite losing (mostly before the lions game) there are those in high places who still believe that very point you made that the packers are "SUPERAWESOME!" and Rodgers is the GOAT.

2.) If you guys did have the real Jordy no @#&@(# way you lose to the lions that's for sure.

3.) Most of the fan base here has given the Packers a lot of respect in this upcoming game, regardless if they deserve it, very few are questioning the rough patch as anything other than a whoopsie (even though we pray to Thor that AR caught an STD from Munn and is dying).

4.) Why the hell are you so defensive, how many division titles have you guys had in the last 15 years? R E L A X E X L A X and let the chips fall, if this is the Packers last gasp... Well good #### them.

5.) This Sunday will be the answer for most if the Packers are going to turn things around or if the purple kool-aid well doth spring eternal. Only time will tell. Like I try and tell these yahoos all the time, any team any day and nothing is certain. I would wish you GL Sunday... but you know #### Packers.

Edit: WTF is with that QB list? No Kelly? No FAVRE!? No Elway?! *cough FT.... Anyhow I just want to add one thing, to the point you're trying to make. Leadership is crucial to victory however I don't think it's exclusively a QB's only list but the confidence of a QB will float or sink ships that's for sure, one of the things is when AR gets into crying baby mode you know they're going to have a rough game he exudes his mood and his team folds. So I'm with you to that extent but a good Coach makes a ton of difference in this same regard, just sayin.
Last edited by Skoltastic_Voyage on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by LA Viking »

Call me superstitious or whatever, but I saw ATH on ESPN gushing about the Vikings today at the gym, and now this - I start to get very nervous. I prefer to fly under the radar and be the underdog.

I am worried about Bridgewater though, but man it's nice to see a return to great defense.
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.