Thoughts Week 10

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Thoughts Week 10

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote: Answer: they didn't, at least that wasn't the impression I had when watching the Vikings offensive plays on the All-22 for the first time. Maybe I'll take another look later but from what I saw, Oakland's defense had 5 defenders right on the line of scrimmage, often with 8 total in the box or at least 8 within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage (they were creeping a corner up on the right edge of the Vikings formation a lot, clearly for run support). They showed concern about Peterson the majority of the game. On his 80 yard run, they had virtually their entire defense on the line or within 5 yards of it. When nobody made the tackle near the line, there was nobody left to stop AD. :beerock:

Anyway, the passing plays were a mixed bag: there were situations where the Raiders did have 7 back in coverage but that didn't seem to be "almost always the case". There were plays where Bridgewater simply didn't have time, plays where he stared down a receiver and consequently, missed someone else who was open, plays where he seemed indecisive, didn't throw to the open WR and ended up holding the ball too long, etc. There was at least one play where he checked down and appeared to miss a wide open receiver (Pruitt) that could have had a huge gain, etc.

In other words, the passing game never really got in sync. Sometimes receivers were open and didn't get the ball. At other times they didn't get open and still other times, Bridgewater was sacked or forced to scramble. Make no mistake though: he missed some opportunities in this game.

Watching the plays, I wonder if Norv may need to re-think some of the routes (not that I know anywhere near as much as he does about such things).

I guess I watched it and I didn't see what you saw. I saw A LOT of coverage on our receivers. Seemed like the vast majority of the time Teddy dropped back their were at least 2 defenders around is primary and secondary outlets. IDK if maybe they got really good at guessing running plays or not but It seemed to me Teddy didn't have many options with his main targets smothered and his online relatively porous.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:On his 80 yard run, they had virtually their entire defense on the line or within 5 yards of it. When nobody made the tackle near the line, there was nobody left to stop AD.
Pretty standard procedure in that instance with the Vikings up by two scores with under 2 minutes left.
In other words, the passing game never really got in sync. Sometimes receivers were open and didn't get the ball. At other times they didn't get open and still other times, Bridgewater was sacked or forced to scramble. Make no mistake though: he missed some opportunities in this game.
Sure he did. It just seems there were fewer opportunities for positive pass plays than perhaps in other games. Teddy included in some of the struggles but coverages, routes, pressure, etc. all played a part in the dismal passing effort. It's great the other areas were able to once again pick up the slack. Go team wins!
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Pretty standard procedure in that instance with the Vikings up by two scores with under 2 minutes left./quote]

Yes, risky against AD but not unusual. They knew a run was coming. They just failed to execute.
Sure he did. It just seems there were fewer opportunities for positive pass plays than perhaps in other games. Teddy included in some of the struggles but coverages, routes, pressure, etc. all played a part in the dismal passing effort. It's great the other areas were able to once again pick up the slack. Go team wins!
The heavy sets they're using to prop up the OL play definitely hurt the downfield passing game but yes, the passing issues are team issues. My point about Bridgewater missing some opportunities was meant as a response to Thompson's tweet: There were a few "WTF Teddy" plays where receivers were open and he didn't get it to them.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:I guess I watched it and I didn't see what you saw. I saw A LOT of coverage on our receivers. Seemed like the vast majority of the time Teddy dropped back their were at least 2 defenders around is primary and secondary outlets. IDK if maybe they got really good at guessing running plays or not but It seemed to me Teddy didn't have many options with his main targets smothered and his online relatively porous.
There were quite a few plays where that was true. I'm not trying to give the impression that he had wide open targets all day and just missed them, simply that he left some plays on the field.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: There were quite a few plays where that was true. I'm not trying to give the impression that he had wide open targets all day and just missed them, simply that he left some plays on the field.
No doubt Jim but more importantly no fumbles or Ints., those result in "game changers". TB will steadily improve week by week and will finally morph into a very solid field general, who will be trusted by the coaches and his team mates. This will fill the void in the QB position that this team has had for the last 10 years or more. :D
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote: No doubt Jim but more importantly no fumbles or Ints., those result in "game changers".
Yes, and that was important in this game. Nevertheless, I want more from him than avoiding mistakes.
TB will steadily improve week by week and will finally morph into a very solid field general, who will be trusted by the coaches and his team mates. This will fill the void in the QB position that this team has had for the last 10 years or more. :D
I wish I shared your faith in him, Bill. I hope you're right!
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

teddy has downright stunk the last 3 weeks--call it what it is. he made two nice throws at the end of the chicago game, but maybe if he had performed at all the previous 3 quarters we wouldn't have been in that situation. the same could be said about the rams game, he essentially had one good drive. and as far at the oakland game, i didn't see one positive thing he did. how is it that mike wallace has had pretty decent stats everywhere he is gone (and will be up for a new contract) and he comes here and has 1 td so far this season? he had 10 last year with freaking tannehill throwing him the ball. i expected big things from bridegewater this year and he has utterly disappointed.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mosscarter wrote:teddy has downright stunk the last 3 weeks--call it what it is. he made two nice throws at the end of the chicago game, but maybe if he had performed at all the previous 3 quarters we wouldn't have been in that situation. the same could be said about the rams game, he essentially had one good drive. and as far at the oakland game, i didn't see one positive thing he did. how is it that mike wallace has had pretty decent stats everywhere he is gone (and will be up for a new contract) and he comes here and has 1 td so far this season? he had 10 last year with freaking tannehill throwing him the ball. i expected big things from bridegewater this year and he has utterly disappointed.
So a second year Qb isnt Tom Brady yet. wah wah wah
He's just led the team to a 7-2 record, leading the division. He is doing what the coaches want. Like other Qbs before him, he will get some of the accuracy problems worked out. I doubt he will ever be a 300 yard passing QB. You'd better get used to that, its not going to be a Pep to Moss type of year(s).

I liked the articles DP posted. I know it breaks the theory a lot of you seem to want, that everything is Teddy's fault. Even the announcers were commenting on the good coverage the Raiders had on our receivers. I think it could be more of our receivers, other then Diggs, cant run a good route consistently. Wallace was the worst choice for our FA WR. CP can do a go or fly route as good as Wallace has shown he can here. As Miami how much they miss Wallace.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

purplekoolaid i respectfully disagree with your assessment. teddy has led us to a 7-2 record? our top 3 defense and peterson have carried 80 percent of that load and that won't work throughout the rest of the season and into the playoffs. you had mentioned about teddy never being a 300 yd passer consistently; but isn't that what a franchise qb should do? i mean, seriously how many great games has he had this season? i know it is only his second year, but it has been in reverse. we will see a real qb this sunday, that is for sure.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

mosscarter wrote:purplekoolaid i respectfully disagree with your assessment. teddy has led us to a 7-2 record? our top 3 defense and peterson have carried 80 percent of that load and that won't work throughout the rest of the season and into the playoffs. you had mentioned about teddy never being a 300 yd passer consistently; but isn't that what a franchise qb should do? i mean, seriously how many great games has he had this season? i know it is only his second year, but it has been in reverse. we will see a real qb this sunday, that is for sure.
A real QB in a slump, I might add.

I actually somewhat agree with your thoughts on Teddy but it is only his second year so I think a little bit of patience might be warranted.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PA's call on AD's 80 yd TD run. Would love to watch a live game with PA calling it.
WEEK 10: Adrian Peterson 80 Yard TD
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Norv isn't asking Teddy to do much..when asked Teddy has responded well
IMO Wallace and Rudolf have had some drops as well. Not to mention our OL

Be patient Teddy will be fine..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

jackal wrote:Norv isn't asking Teddy to do much..when asked Teddy has responded well
IMO Wallace and Rudolf have had some drops as well. Not to mention our OL

Be patient Teddy will be fine..

This is what I don't get. AP is having a monster season and that isn't because AP said,

"Wow Bridgewater sucks. I better get a chip on my shoulder and carry this team, golly gee I wish I could get fewer carries. I want to work on my tan"

He is running like a beast because he is a beast this year. He isn't producing 80% of our yards. Hes accounting for 36% or something like that. But either way he is the engine of this team this year. And that is freaking fine. I don't want Teddy going out there and doing stuff, taking risks, throwing it up, etc. Just because a bunch of fans are scared of schrodinger's cat. AP is the diesel of this offense and Teddy has shown flashes of brilliance when needed until we put the game on Teddy on a weekly basis he is schrodinger's cat. Both great and terrible.

Zimmer and Norv are thinking "Lets ride AP into the post season. Protect the ball Teddy" And Teddy does it. In the handful of instances in games where Teddy had to go out and throw its been a mixed bag but from what I have seen far far more positive than negative.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:This is what I don't get. AP is having a monster season and that isn't because AP said,

"Wow Bridgewater sucks. I better get a chip on my shoulder and carry this team, golly gee I wish I could get fewer carries. I want to work on my tan"

He is running like a beast because he is a beast this year. He isn't producing 80% of our yards. Hes accounting for 36% or something like that. But either way he is the engine of this team this year. And that is freaking fine. I don't want Teddy going out there and doing stuff, taking risks, throwing it up, etc. Just because a bunch of fans are scared of schrodinger's cat. AP is the diesel of this offense and Teddy has shown flashes of brilliance when needed until we put the game on Teddy on a weekly basis he is schrodinger's cat. Both great and terrible.

Zimmer and Norv are thinking "Lets ride AP into the post season. Protect the ball Teddy" And Teddy does it.
Does he?

He has 8 turnovers in this year's 9 games and he's not being asked to do much.

I like the Schrodinger's cat analogy. :)
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote: Does he?

He has 8 turnovers in this year's 9 games and he's not being asked to do much.

I like the Schrodinger's cat analogy. :)

I think less than 1 turnover a game as a QB is pretty good. But yeah I know I defend Bridgewater a lot on the board and the schrodinger's cat was tongue and cheek but I think its a pretty good example of the situation. We don't know what we have yet and we have seen things that get us excited (the ending to a few games) and things that make us nervous (the deep ball accuracy and how long he is holding onto the ball). And as long as AP is running at his ALL TIME best pace there is no reason not to depend completely on the Defense and the Run game. Yes when the time comes it will suck if Teddy falls on his face. But short of Norv and Zim risking the present (which is where ALL NFL coaches always try to stay focused) there is no reason to thrust Teddy into any sort of role that puts the game on his shoulders.

So yeah

"Teddy Schrodinger"