Week 4 Power Rankings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Week 4 Power Rankings

Post by akvikingsfan »

I know power rankings are useless, but I figured I'd create a post with a variety of different power rankings from around the web. I figured this post would make it easier than going from site to site and having to find them individually. I'm including the link to the original posting, their rank, and any comments they have about the team.

PFF - 17
The kicker with the highest average length on kickoffs is Blair Walsh at 74.5 yards per kickoff.
ESPN - 13
Adrian Peterson leads the NFL in rushing and the Vikings are 2-1 for the first time since 2012, the year Peterson won MVP.
Chicago Tribune - 13
Adrian Peterson looked like his old self once again, which bodes well. Pass rush was in high gear against Philip Rivers.
CBS Sports - 12
With Adrian Peterson back to his old ways, they will be tough to stop. They do face a tough trip this week to San Diego.
NFL.com - 11
Dominant performance in front of the home folks. The Vikes look totally unlike the guys who got their hides dusted by 'Los Hyde a few weeks ago. While Adrian Peterson appears discernibly slower, he still clearly has the drive to finish every run like he's 25 years old.

Random note: Saw Fran Tarkenton on the CBS broadcast, and he mentioned the four Super Bowls this franchise went to under Bud Grant. Sure, the Vikes didn't win one, but four trips to Super Bowl Sunday in an eight-year span -- from 1969 to 1976 -- cannot be overlooked.
SB Nation - 11

Yahoo Sports - 10
Adrian Peterson has 260 yards on 49 carries the last two weeks. When you look at all the big-name running backs either struggling or hurt, it's amazing how seamlessly Peterson has come back at age 30.
Washington Post - 10
It took the Vikings until Week 2 to make the decision to give the ball to Adrian Peterson early and often in games. Since then, he quickly has reestablished himself as an MVP-caliber player and the Vikings look capable of being in the playoff race.
Fox Sports - 9
After struggling the find their identity in Week 1, the Vikings have developed into a team led by their dominant running game and an aggressive defense with one of the NFL’s elite pass-rushing units. Look for the Vikings to continue to trend up.
USA Today - 9
How long can a Norv Turner-designed passing game remain at the bottom of the league rankings?
Walter Football - 8
Though four San Diego offensive linemen sustained injuries in Sunday's contest, the Vikings still looked impressive in their victory. The real test comes Sunday at Denver. Dethroning the King of the Regular Season is never difficult, but Minnesota has a legitimate chance to accomplish that feat.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Week 4 Power Rankings

Post by DK Sweets »

Thanks for compiling that. I honestly think some of those have overrated us until we beat the Broncos/Chiefs, but it's still kinda cool to see!
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

DK Sweets wrote:Thanks for compiling that. I honestly think some of those have overrated us until we beat the Broncos/Chiefs, but it's still kinda cool to see!
I agree. At this point I would place us towards the middle of the pack. Probably in the 16-13 range. I'm not sold on the offense. How long can Peterson carry the team? Can the defense hold up against top ranked teams? I'm not sure that the Vikings are as good as some people think they are. Now, if they can find a way to win at Denver that might change my mind.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

akvikingsfan wrote: I agree. At this point I would place us towards the middle of the pack. Probably in the 16-13 range. I'm not sold on the offense. How long can Peterson carry the team? Can the defense hold up against top ranked teams? I'm not sure that the Vikings are as good as some people think they are. Now, if they can find a way to win at Denver that might change my mind.
Denver can't run and can't stop good backs. Charles put 125 on them. If they sell out to stop Peterson, then it's all on Bridgewater. And we shall see how he does.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

akvikingsfan wrote: I agree. At this point I would place us towards the middle of the pack. Probably in the 16-13 range. I'm not sold on the offense. How long can Peterson carry the team? Can the defense hold up against top ranked teams? I'm not sure that the Vikings are as good as some people think they are. Now, if they can find a way to win at Denver that might change my mind.
I think our defense exceptionally good. There aren't many on this defense I haven't been impressed with outside of Sendejo. Our offense worries me outside of AP and Rudy. We need to find a way to 1.) stop pressure up the middle (I think our tackles have played quite well) and 2.) open up this passing game. It's very very meh right now
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think between Nine and 11 is close .. several of the top teams have not beaten a good team yet...

Bottom line we have win tough games to move up... Denver is a tough team and to be a top 6-7
team we need to beat them on the road..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

it's gonna be one of those tell tell games. We will surely see where we are at after the Denver game. Defense better step up. They can put all 11 in the box if they want. nothing much is gonna deter AD
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I really don't think Teddy has been that bad..Several receivers have dropped balls this year..

As long as he can move the ball to get first downs we should be fine...

I am worried about our slant coverage and across the middle routes.. We always seem to give
up plays in those sections.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

jackal wrote:Several receivers have dropped balls this year..
They have? :confused: Outside of Rudy's one drop, who are you talking about?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Rieux
Franchise Player

Post by Rieux »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: They have? :confused: Outside of Rudy's one drop, who are you talking about?
I wouldn't agree that the Vikings receivers have been particularly butterfingered thus far this season, but I do remember Johnson dropping a long pass (on which he drew a defensive pass interference flag) on Sunday against San Diego.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Rieux wrote: I wouldn't agree that the Vikings receivers have been particularly butterfingered thus far this season, but I do remember Johnson dropping a long pass (on which he drew a defensive pass interference flag) on Sunday against San Diego.
Yea, I agree, I haven't seen any bad case of the dropsies with the Vikings yet this year.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

It is good to get love from the national media for a change. However, we don't deserve a high ranking until we can show we can beat teams on the road. A win at Denver would prove that this team has what it takes.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.