OWN THE RESPECT

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: OWN THE RESPECT

Post by dead_poet »

What do Andy Dalton and Norv Turner Brian Hoyer have in common? If you guessed a dominant, top-5 "#1 receiver" and excellent pass blocking offensive line you'd be right.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:What do Andy Dalton and Norv Turner Brian Hoyer have in common? If you guessed a dominant, top-5 "#1 receiver" and excellent pass blocking offensive line you'd be right.
Well DP, if you are making a case that Teddy would flourish if he had those tools, I respect that. He could. Maybe. If he is so good, take the training wheels off and let's see what he can do. Throw caution to the wind and see if the spaghetti sticks to the wall. Like Jerry Glanville said, paraphrasing here, " the NFL stands for Not For Long". Also, we could have a top 5 WR and a better offensive line if the job was getting done at evaluating talent.
I don't know about anyone else, but I am tired of these wait and see players.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Saints 5th in passing so far this year 0-3
Ravens 8th in passing so far this year 0-3
Miami 10th in passing so far this year 1-2
Detroit 12th in passing so far this year 0-3

People need to get over the "ranking" of the passing game. The NFL ranks on their stats by yards per game.

It could be worse. We could be like the Colts. Wait they have the great Luck, 5 Tds' 7 interception 39 passes per game, 249 yards per game. 65.1 QB rating. But he's all the rage. . . And the team is going nowhere because they have no defense. They can't stop the other team from scoring. So all that gives them what? A 1-2 record. My bet is that Jacksonville put up 28 points on them this week.

Stop worrying so much about the QB's numbers and start worrying about how they win the game. The last 2 weeks the Vikings offense has scored 25 points per game. That is way more important than 250 yards passing a game. BTW, did those stats point out that the last two weeks the Vikings offense has played on the shortest field of any team in the NFL?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Raptorman wrote:Saints 5th in passing so far this year 0-3

People need to get over the "ranking" of the passing game. The NFL ranks on their stats by yards per game.

It could be worse. We could be like the Colts. Wait they have the great Luck, 5 Tds' 7 interception 39 passes per game, 249 yards per game. 65.1 QB rating. But he's all the rage. . . And the team is going nowhere because they have no defense. They can't stop the other team from scoring. So all that gives them what? A 1-2 record. My bet is that Jacksonville put up 28 points on them this week.

Stop worrying so much about the QB's numbers and start worrying about how they win the game. The last 2 weeks the Vikings offense has scored 25 points per game. That is way more important than 250 yards passing a game. BTW, did those stats point out that the last two weeks the Vikings offense has played on the shortest field of any team in the NFL?
Good point. The passing game does worry me but if we still find ways to win, I'm fine. I think it all comes down to blocking in the middle. I don't think Teddy is getting much of a chance to let his receivers come out of their breaks so he can actually see him.

Side note: I really like Pagano and I can't stand Grigson and Irsay. They want to blame him for whats going on but how about that idiot Grigson drafts some defensive players for once. They have Andre Johnson, Hilton, and Moncrief along with two good TEs and you take Phillip Dorsett with your first pick?? They didnt have a 2nd so why in Gods name would you draft a WR there? Your defense is awful and has been for quite some time now. I think Dorsett is good but you need defensive players so bad its not even funny.

If I recall, in a heated Spielman battle on here, someone said Grigson was a good GM. Good GM?? Why because he was blessed with the first pick when the best QB since Manning was coming out of the draft? Give me a break. Him and Irsay are clueless and its starting to show
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Andy Dalton. We could have had him as a QB. He is doing quite well for himself even though people are looking for him to reach a higher level of play. Will Teddy ever become a QB of the ilk of even an Andy Dalton. Answer, no.
Guess who is bringing up the rear in the offensive passing category? Dead last. Is that by design? If it is, the Vikings need to design something new.
If there is something that I am missing about the way Teddy delivers the ball, his timing, or something that anyone sees that I obviously do not, please feel free to point it out.
I want TB to be our savoir at QB, I do. I am tired of bringing up the rear in offense and not having a DOMINANT defense. We have neither. The defense can get there, with more work and a talent spike, but the offense still has miles to go. In my opinion, we will not achieve anything but more mediocrity with TB at QB.
Give it some time .. Aikman was 1-15 his first season.. and won the Superbowl a few years later..Manning had about the same first year...
Rodgers was not Rodgers even after sitting three or four seasons behind Farve...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Raptorman wrote:Saints 5th in passing so far this year 0-3

That's all well and good, we all know that there are many factors to weigh in on to make a win a win. I am not looking at the numbers solely basing my hypotheses on them, but those combined with the tendencies of Turner to spread the ball around and making the passing game the focal point of an offense leads me to wonder why. I don't think it is because we have AP, Norv does like to run the ball as well but more because Teddy cannot make it happen on a consistent basis. Of course with money and time invested already, we shall see.
Humor me and answer me three questions:
1. Does anyone think that Teddy has a good delivery of the ball?
2. Does anyone think that except for certain throws that the balls are high, late and inaccurate?
3. Who thinks that this is a problem easily fixed?
(bubble screens, slants, 5yd out routes are the certain throws I speak of.)
I have to go with what I see, which is a small portion granted but it doesn't take a whole heck of a lot to see it. If I am 100% wrong, I really hope that I am 100% wrong.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

jackal wrote: Give it some time .. Aikman was 1-15 his first season.. and won the Superbowl a few years later..Manning had about the same first year...
Rodgers was not Rodgers even after sitting three or four seasons behind Farve...
I have no choice like the rest of you. If you see something anything remotely akin to any of the qb's you just mentioned, point it out to me. I don't see it.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Let me tell you something about having a QB like Rodgers. It's all well and good. But he is the Packers offense. Period. If he does not throw at least 2 TD's the Packers will most likely lose. If he goes down for 8 games, the Packers are screwed. So be careful what you wish for in a QB.

Packers wins and Rodgers TD passes.

If Rodgers throws 0-1 Td passes the Packer win 44% of the time.
If he throws 0, that drops to 33% of the time.
2 TD passes per game, it jumps to 74% winning percentage.
80% at 3 Tds
and 4 or more, 93%.

So really, if the Packer Qb can't put up 2+ Td's, the Packers are screwed. When Rodgers went down in 2013 the Packer Qbs only threw more than 1 TD pass in one game. Of the 7 they they went 2-4-1. With only 1 multi TD game which they won.

Personally, I don't want a QB that has to do that. I want one were if he has a bad day the team can still win, like last week. Do I want better than last week? Yes. But I don't want the QB to be the offense.

BTW, if Brady throws 0 TD passes during a game the Pats win 57% of the time. That's team a playing offense, not just the QB.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I have no choice like the rest of you. If you see something anything remotely akin to any of the qb's you just mentioned, point it out to me. I don't see it.
IMO the only thing I see in Teddy as far as a great trait or ability is to handle pressure.. its just does not bug him...IMO based on his career so far I would say he is going
to be about a Jeff Garcia to at best a Joe Montana.. The other skill I am tempted to list is ability to read defenses.. I don't think Teddy is a power arm guy...
I would like to see accuracy improve throughout this year.. Teddy will get stronger due to his age..A smart QB who can read defenses can be a real quality QB and
win superbowls..RG3 has a huge arm but didn't learn defenses and now is riding bench.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Raptorman wrote:Let me tell you something about having a QB like Rodgers. It's all well and good. But he is the Packers offense. Period. If he does not throw at least 2 TD's the Packers will most likely lose. If he goes down for 8 games, the Packers are screwed. So be careful what you wish for in a QB.

80% at 3 Tds
and 4 or more, 93%.

So really, if the Packer Qb can't put up 2+ Td's, the Packers are screwed. When Rodgers went down in 2013 the Packer Qbs only threw more than 1 TD pass in one game. Of the 7 they they went 2-4-1. With only 1 multi TD game which they won.

Personally, I don't want a QB that has to do that. I want one were if he has a bad day the team can still win, like last week. Do I want better than last week? Yes. But I don't want the QB to be the offense.

BTW, if Brady throws 0 TD passes during a game the Pats win 57% of the time. That's team a playing offense, not just the QB.

Problem is HOF QBs cost cap room, and alot, you will not find a HOF QB that wont cost alot of money at some point, but it is still better to have him then not, great teams contend for a couple years, great QBs contend for a decade.

Also, you are ignoring the fact that the Packers went 2-2-1 with Matt Flynn, that is pretty damn good for a guy who cant make a roster, that is also ignoring his 6 td W game.

Even if you switched Rodgers with an average to decent QB the Packers are still left with a great O-line good WRs, and two damn good RBs, the numbers you posted are only what they are because this has not been the case for us in years past. Its quite apparent that the Packers have a very well balanced O across the board looking at the numbers, but for some reason you seem hung up on 2011-2012
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Raptorman wrote:Let me tell you something about having a QB like Rodgers. It's all well and good. But he is the Packers offense. Period. If he does not throw at least 2 TD's the Packers will most likely lose. If he goes down for 8 games, the Packers are screwed. So be careful what you wish for in a QB.

80% at 3 Tds
and 4 or more, 93%.

I think that illustrates the quality of the QB isn't the issue at all. Instead, it's the level of dependence the team develops on that player to win, which isn't a consequence of the player himself. There's no need to "be careful what you wish for in a QB" in the sense you're using with Rodgers. It seems what you're actually cautioning against are issues of offensive philosophy and team-building. Trust me, having Aaron Rodgers as the starting QB isn't a problem, it's a solution. The only real drawback to having a great QB is they're expensive to keep.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'm not worried about Teddy's numbers. My only concern is his throwing motion. When its on he looks great.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Mothman wrote: I think that illustrates the quality of the QB isn't the issue at all. Instead, it's the level of dependence the team develops on that player to win, which isn't a consequence of the player himself. There's no need to "be careful what you wish for in a QB" in the sense you're using with Rodgers. It seems what you're actually cautioning against are issues of offensive philosophy and team-building. Trust me, having Aaron Rodgers as the starting QB isn't a problem, it's a solution. The only real drawback to having a great QB is they're expensive to keep.
Jim, you just summed up my point in a more clear and concise manner then I ever could, so I appreciate that.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:Jim, you just summed up my point in a more clear and concise manner then I ever could, so I appreciate that.
Happy to be of service. :)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

CbusVikesFan wrote: Well DP, if you are making a case that Teddy would flourish if he had those tools, I respect that. He could. Maybe. If he is so good, take the training wheels off and let's see what he can do. Throw caution to the wind and see if the spaghetti sticks to the wall. Like Jerry Glanville said, paraphrasing here, " the NFL stands for Not For Long". Also, we could have a top 5 WR and a better offensive line if the job was getting done at evaluating talent.
I don't know about anyone else, but I am tired of these wait and see players.
I'm not saying he'd guarantee to flourish, but it's an advantage those quarterbacks have had in relation to Teddy. However it's not an advantageous offensive decision to "throw caution to the wind" and ask Teddy to throw the ball 30-40 times/game just to see if he "has what it takes." Early in Andrew Luck's career the Colts didn't want him to throw the ball 40 times/game, either. They didn't want to put too much on his plate and subject him to a ton of hits which could derail his career (physically and/or mentally). They were almost forced to start throwing more in his first and early second seasons because they had no other option (or, looking at it another way, Luck was their best option to win games). That is not the case with Teddy and the Vikings right now.

The Vikings are still a run-first team with Adrian Peterson. It would be foolish to go away from him and change their identity (going away from their strength and going to their weakness, especially given the weakened state of the offensive line) just to see if Teddy can become a top-10 quarterback in now just starting his 17th career game.

You have to keep playing to the team's strengths/weekly game plan. There's really no other logical option.

Yes, I'm also tired of the team as a whole being filled with players that are not immediate superstars. But sometimes it takes time and they do emerge. It was like that with Sullivan, with Fusco, with Rhodes, etc. As much as it sucks, we just have to be patient. Patient with a lot of alcohol and hope Teddy can continue to improve and become the player we want him to be.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly