Week 4 Predictions: Vikings at Broncos

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Week 4 Predictions: Vikings at Broncos

Post by IrishViking »

DK Sweets wrote:I strongly disagree. At this point in their careers, I would take Stafford and Rivers both over Manning. For 2015, I think Manning is closer to Andy Dalton than Aaron Rodgers.

Agreed. Peyton is Peyton but he is well into his career twilight. His high point this year was the average of his Yesteryear.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

DK Sweets wrote:I strongly disagree. At this point in their careers, I would take Stafford and Rivers both over Manning. For 2015, I think Manning is closer to Andy Dalton than Aaron Rodgers.
I think you're right in terms of arm strength. Manning is still a scientist in the shotgun, though, and smarter than Rivers and Stafford. Smarter QBs scare me more than stronger QBs.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

TSonn wrote: I think you're right in terms of arm strength. Manning is still a scientist in the shotgun, though, and smarter than Rivers and Stafford. Smarter QBs scare me more than stronger QBs.

Agreed but at some point the physical tools just simply stop being there and Peyton appears to be there. He is more 2010 Farve then 2009. He isn't mobile, he doesn't have the arm strength and his Oline is not great. He is going to be very very very dependent on YAC this game and I hope our Defense is up to it but he doesn't scare me. The only way we get schooled is if Peyton has his best game of the year by far. It's entirely possible but its nice for once to be in the position of not having to fear any warm body with limbs under center.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

IrishViking wrote:
Agreed. Peyton is Peyton but he is well into his career twilight. His high point this year was the average of his Yesteryear.
Keep one thing in mind. The Bronco's are 3-0 because their defense scored a winning TD in their first two games. At Baltimore, the Broncos' offense had 9 possessions, 3 field goals, 5 punts and and one interception. They won on an Interception return for a TD. Against the the Chiefs, fumble return for a TD. Game was tied. I am more worried about their defense than I am their QB.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I think Bridgewater proved last year that you don't need a strong arm to be an effective QB. Pre snap reads and smart decisions is what Manning excels at. With a risk taking defense the Vikings have now, I can see Manning taking advantage of all the blitzing. That one screen pass the Chargers executed to perfection could be something we see a lot of this week. Zimmer has to disguise his packages and change things up or I can see the Broncos offense be very effective. On the other side, Bridgewater has to trust what he sees and and make quicker decisions. Without looking at the coaches film, I'm guessing he's missing open receivers while holding on to the ball too long. I predict this gets corrected this week and we see a more effective passing game.

I know it's early but I think this is a key game for the Vikings to take that next step. Undefeated team, on the road, high altitude, under dog. I don't think they step backwards too much losing this game. But if they win, I can see this team gain a lot of momentum and see the bandwagon starting up again.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

31-7 Denver. Road games against very good defenses have not been friendly to the Vikings.
Foghorn Leghorn
Veteran

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

I think Rudy will play a big part in the offense, those corners on the broncos (Chris Harris Jr and Aqib) might be the best corner tandem in the league. Try a deep ball to Wallace though, as he can outrun both of them.
GO IRISH!
GO VIKES!
"When you're rich you don't write checks"- Randy Moss
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

NDirish wrote:Try a deep ball to Wallace though, as he can outrun both of them.
So first play for the Vikings should be play action bomb that Wallace catches in stride on his way to the end zone? I would be down with that.

27-20 Vikings
Formerly AADPFan
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

This game is really significant. If we win it will go a long way to convince me, and the world, that all the pre-season hype about the Viking is not just Purple Kool Aid. If we lay an egg as we did in SF, well, its prolly just another year of middling success and more nail biting about or latest QB.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Zimmer said today that Rhodes has passed all of the concussion protocols and is good to go. He said it in his media press conference.

Good news!
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Norv Zimmer wrote:Zimmer said today that Rhodes has passed all of the concussion protocols and is good to go. He said it in his media press conference.

Good news!
Really good to hear that. Very interested in seeing how our offence can get something going against this impressive Denver defence. We need a big game from our defence to keep this a close game. Still on the fence on if we can pull this one off, my gut feeling says Denver rips Bridgewater a new one and Keeps A.p in check but my heart hopes Teddy hooks up for a Td or two and Ap has another 100 yard day.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Clemmings has almost no chance of being able to take Von Miller one-on-one in pass pro. Every pass play that isn't a quick hitter is going to require us to give TJ help. If we don't give Clemmings help with Miller the result could be Shaun Hill at QB.

If we're going to give Clemmings help with Miller, that limits what we can do for Kalil versus Ware. While Kalil has looked much improved this year over last year I'm skeptical he can handle someone like Ware.

It doesn't stop there. Fusco and Berger have yet to prove they can execute a basic stunt pickup with any consistency this year. It's almost been comical how Fusco will hand off his guy to Berger who won't engage and vice versa. We've had way too many guys coming free up the middle this year. The communication between these two is downright awful.

The flip-side is close to a mirror image. If Everson Griffen brings the same kind of heat that he showed against King Dunlap then rookie Ty Sambralio is going to be in for a long afternoon (and Sambralio is playing with an injured shoulder). Both of Denver's OGs are less than 100%. Vasquez didn't practice on Wednesday and Mathis was limited with a hammy. Sharrif could have a big day and I hope we can get Tom Johnson on the field more in our sub packages.

Which OL is going to play best on Sunday? Have to believe that Adrian Peterson is going to help our guys up front a lot more than CJ Anderson will for the Broncos. Having said that, the talent gap between the Broncos front 7 and our OL is more lopsided (in favor of of the Broncos) than our front 7 against the Broncos OL. Manning gives the Broncos the edge at QB but only if their OL can give him time. He isn't the equalizer that he used to be.

Could come down to a FG. I'd like to think that Walsh is getting his mojo back but who knows with kickers. McManus gives the Broncos a pretty big edge in the kicking game.
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

The game plan against the Vikings remains the same: stop Peterson and force Teddy to win the game. Norm looks like he's more than willing to adapt up his style of play to fit his parts, as they have been running out of an I or single back-I more and less out of the pistol or shotgun.

If it turns out to be a stingy, defensive game, the purple has a chance. If Denver can grab a two-score lead early, and the Vikings answer by abandoning the run, the Vikes' chances are much less.

I see a close loss, 20-14 or 17-13.
"Meet at the quarterback"
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Minnesota needs to win this game. Not only prove they are really a team that can make some noise this season, but to show that they can be a team that can WIN on the road. We haven't had a winning record on the road in over a decade. That is just pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

To win, it is time for Teddy to step up and deliver. A 70% completion rate looks cute, but our passing game looks on par with the passing game of 2006 so far. I know for certain that this team will not be able to continue to have a passing game that looks this lifeless as the season progresses. I don't know what happened to the Teddy Bridgewater I saw last season (and in the preseason), but I want him back.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pseudo Everything wrote:Clemmings has almost no chance of being able to take Von Miller one-on-one in pass pro. Every pass play that isn't a quick hitter is going to require us to give TJ help. If we don't give Clemmings help with Miller the result could be Shaun Hill at QB.

If we're going to give Clemmings help with Miller, that limits what we can do for Kalil versus Ware. While Kalil has looked much improved this year over last year I'm skeptical he can handle someone like Ware.

It doesn't stop there. Fusco and Berger have yet to prove they can execute a basic stunt pickup with any consistency this year. It's almost been comical how Fusco will hand off his guy to Berger who won't engage and vice versa. We've had way too many guys coming free up the middle this year. The communication between these two is downright awful.
I hope we continue to see progression in the running game with lots of 2 and 3 TE sets, Wallace and Patterson stretching the field laterally with bubble screens, reverses, sweeps etc, and stretching the field vertically with deep routes if Denver gets too close to the line.

It should be a pretty simple game plan that relies on a physical run game and a quick passing offense or there are a lot of things that might go wrong.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins