The first down that wasnt a first down

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: The first down that wasnt a first down

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer addresses this in his presser: http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 2512351599

Question comes at 12:47
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Thanks DP. I guess thats why you save your challenges. That was a huge 1st down, and he couldnt see the play? Anyways, ive never seen anything like that happen before. It looked over a yard short. Those are ALWAYS measured near the end of the game. Unless its the Vikings.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Thanks DP. I guess thats why you save your challenges. That was a huge 1st down, and he couldnt see the play? Anyways, ive never seen anything like that happen before. It looked over a yard short. Those are ALWAYS measured near the end of the game. Unless its the Vikings.
I can't believe it wasn't automatically measured. You're right, it wasn't even close!! It was half a yard, at least, short. That whole sequence was just messed up. I wonder if the league will issue a statement?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I can't believe it wasn't automatically measured. You're right, it wasn't even close!! It was half a yard, at least, short. That whole sequence was just messed up. I wonder if the league will issue a statement?
Thats what I am hoping as well. And I hope Zimmer sent a letter to the NFL officiating staff. Stuff like that, could effect a games outcome.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Well the lions scored after that right? I wonder if it messed up any of the over/under bets. I know it didn't affect the line because it was at 3.5 pts vikings favorite. I won 180$!!!!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Maybe my eyes played tricks on me, but I felt like the refs also let play go on through the 2-minute warning. Completely disregarding it. I swear I saw the clock flicker around 2:00 minutes as the operator stopped it, but started it again as he realized the refs let the Lions run a play despite the ball not having been snapped when the clock hit 2:00. I could be imagining it, but if someone can check that out, to confirm I'm crazy, that'd be cool. :lol:
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Video of the play

Forgive the poopoo quality, I took it with my phone and it got compressed when sent to my computer.

1) The clock definitely did not reach 2;00. It was close, but it didn't.

2) If you look closely, the chains are in front of where the marker is. The play DEFINITELY should have been measured, but it's closer than it appears at first glance.

3) The chains still should have been moved.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

League admits they blew a call... but not the one you think...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -stafford/
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

soflavike wrote:League admits they blew a call... but not the one you think...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -stafford/
Hah! You're right! (I wasn't aware that the QBs don't get protection if they are slowing. I would have guessed that fell under "surrendering" but I guess he could have slid to fulfill that criteria...)

Interesting... :)
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!