Thoughts week 2

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Thoughts week 2

Post by PurpleMustReign »

MUCH better game by everyone not named Walsh.

3rd down defense is still suspect, but got the job done.

Trattou is a beast, for one play at least.

Screw the refs. I hope they get fined for their BS all game.

If another kicker doesn't come in this week for a tryout, I will be livid.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Thoughts week 2

Post by akvikingsfan »

Here's my thoughts:

The Good
- We pulled out our first win of the season
- AD is still AD
- Teddy did a decent job managing the game
- Stopped the Lion's run game
- Kalil (other than the 2 flags)

The Bad
- Our O-Line is still very suspect
- Didn't seem to get much pressure on Stafford for most of the game
- Walsh?!

The Ugly
- Griffen needs to get his act together on third down
- We need to turn TOs into points
- The refs tried to give this game to the Lions
- Peterson's inability to hang onto the ball
Last edited by akvikingsfan on Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:MUCH better game by everyone not named Walsh.

3rd down defense is still suspect, but got the job done.

Trattou is a beast, for one play at least.

Screw the refs. I hope they get fined for their BS all game.

If another kicker doesn't come in this week for a tryout, I will be livid.
Even Walsh did a nice job on kickoffs (unless I forgot something) and hit most of his kicks. ;) They definitely need to bring in some competition for him.

This was a rebound win they desperately needed, especially against a divisional opponent. I'm still unhappy about what happened last week and I'm concerned about how they'll perform the next time they hit the road. They tend to play much better at home.

They were clearly focused and determined to make up for their poor start to the season but you still have to wonder where that focus was from the start.

Smith stopping the 2 point conversion was HUGE and it was nice to see Peterson reestablish his presence on offense in a big way. I think he'll get a handle on the fumbles but they were problematic.

I think they still have a lot of work to do, and I expect them to be challenged by a better opponent next week, but this was a good, solid win in an important game.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Who was Newman covering today? I only recall hearing his name once, and that was the pass defense in the endzone. Usually it's a good thing when you don't hear a corners name a lot. If he can really lock down one side that will be a big blessing giving Waynes more time to develop. The dynamic will be interesting with Price back next week.

Offensively I thought Norv did a good job of throwing in a lot of misdirection plays and long sustaining drives. It wasn't the vertical offense he was touted to bring but it kept the chains moving and the clock running. Sorry to harp on it but Line is more of a liability right now, missing two key blocks near the endzone. I'm glad he can run it in from a foot away but unless they somehow work him into the passing game, I don't see his utility. Charles Johnson could have had a better game but I was glad to see Wallace and Rudolph step up.

Defensive did an overall good job. Tate had his moments and you can only slow down Calvin, not stop him, but overall I think Captain had a good game and Rhodes held his own (although he still need to work on his grabbing). Although the team only had 1 sack (I think), Stafford was clearly rattled and you could see his accuracy get poorer and poorer as the game went along. Really happy to see the run defense show up today. I've been hard on Joseph but he had himself a good game.

Special teams, well I think we're all worried about Walsh. But Sherels had another great game. Some really nice returns and a solid tackle as a gunner.

Overall, clean up the turnovers and the penalties and this team has a good chance of having a very successful year. Excited to see them live next week for the first time, will see how that changes my view. Hopefully they can pull out a win (SD lost today).
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Hope the doom and gloomers can take some time away from the sky falling to enjoy this win! Can never predict the season to be over after 1 week, especially when we haven't even played a division game yet.

Kendricks subbing in for Greenway was a huge boost to our speed at LB, they were noticeably swarming the ball better and keeping running plays and short passes in front of them which was a huge improvement from monday night.

Captain had a beauty of a game, shutting down Tate and Lance Moore in the slot, and even Calvin Johnson when they were trying to get him off Rhodes Island and moved him to the slot.

Newman also had a very nice game locking down his side of the field.

The entire defense beat the crap out of stafford, I honestly felt bad for him, he had a bloody elbow, a bandaged up finger, looked like some bruised ribs, and so on. We must have hit him 20 times at least. It looked like he started rushing throws and missing a little bit thinking about the next hit coming his way. Of course I LOVED it, but did feel bad for him as a human being, not as a football player though, he knows what he signed up for!

I loved that we weren't just tackling, when someone was already wrapped up we were attacking the ball and forced two nice fumbles / turnovers, that was great to see.

Rhodes had a mixed game, he didn't give that much up but also got penalized a decent amount. However, let's not forget that Calvin is still one of the hardest assignments in the game for any DB.

As for the offense, Peterson was a beast, loved that little shovel pass and run. It was good to see him return to form but it looks like he lost a little ball security in his time away but I'm sure he'll fix that quickly.

Norv was pretty good this game, I thought we had a nice balance of run and pass and the play action walk in TD for Teddy was just brilliant. Still need to improve in the passing game but at least we know we can get AD going again.

I think we forced 3 turnovers and only gave back 1 so any time you can win that battle you'll have an edge.

Overall a much better performance, I expected them to bounce back, just needed to see it happen. If the Packers lose we're tied for first place!
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

Thanks for the thoughts I had to work today and missed the game... Maybe I need to miss the games more often. However it's sad to know walsh is still mindjabbed and the OLine holds up like screen doored submarine =(.

Looks like AD had a better game was it all almost passing where he shined? The stats seem to indicate that he was effective in the pass game.

Saw some highlights of Teddy, that'a boy Teddy.
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I think AD did great! A Td or two would helped my fantasy team. He gained most of his receiving yards on a impromptu shovel pass from teddy. I would say running between the tackles and bouncing it outside is where peterson really shined.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Today was the kind of day that I really wished I lived back home in Minneapolis or that I could fly a Cessna up to our little lake cabin up there just for the weekend. I'd love to hear more observations on the game and how they looked compared to last week.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

akvikingsfan wrote:Here's my thoughts:

The Good
- We pulled out our first win of the season
- AD is still AD
- Teddy did a decent job managing the game
- Stopped the Lion's run game
- Kalil (other than the 2 flags)

The Bad
- Our O-Line is still very suspect
- Didn't seem to get much pressure on Stafford for most of the game
- Walsh?!

The Ugly
- Griffen needs to get his act together on third down
- We need to turn TOs into points
- The refs tried to give this game to the Lions
I agree with most of this except the part where you said the defense didnt get much pressure on Stafford. Stafford was on the ground on a TON of drop backs. He was in pain for 90% of that game
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Thoughts week 2

Post by DK Sweets »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I agree with most of this except the part where you said the defense didnt get much pressure on Stafford. Stafford was on the ground on a TON of drop backs. He was in pain for 90% of that game
+1

I saw somebody else post that we weren't getting consistent pressure in the gameday thread, too, and I was confused. Maybe I remember the game differently, but I felt like we got hits all day long.

I wonder if the thought was that there wasn't a middle ground - we either hit him or got nowhere near him. If that is the case, I still feel like it's a weird assessment, because we hit him so many times.

I just think our defense owned the line of scrimmage for most of the game.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

DK Sweets wrote:+1

I saw somebody else post that we weren't getting consistent pressure in the gameday thread, too, and I was confused. Maybe I remember the game differently, but I felt like we got hits all day long.

I wonder if the thought was that there wasn't a middle ground - we either hit him or got nowhere near him. If that is the case, I still feel like it's a weird assessment, because we hit him so many times.

I just think our defense owned the line of scrimmage for most of the game.
I think the fact that we just weren't getting him on the ground BEFORE he got rid of the ball, was what was frustrating for a lot of us.

Lots of hits, only 1 sack. It did take its toll on him though. Still, gotta tighten the pass defense up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

frosted wrote: I think the fact that we just weren't getting him on the ground BEFORE he got rid of the ball, was what was frustrating for a lot of us.

Lots of hits, only 1 sack.
This. The amount of time he was getting compared to Teddy was frustrating. 10-plus-play drives are unacceptable.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

What was Detroit's 3rd Down conversion rate? It seemed like they made a lot of them.

I think the Vikings should have won this game 33-10 but they got a little sloppy and the refs got a little stupid.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:What was Detroit's 3rd Down conversion rate? It seemed like they made a lot of them.
6/13
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote: 6/13
My God, really?