Film Studies

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Film Studies

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Disclaimer: Please do not quote entire long posts with pictures.. Etc
Instead of undergoing the herculean effort of posting a comprehensive analysis of week one, I have decided to start an on-going thread in which we can post and request in-depth analysis of certain plays.
If you have any requests for plays let me know. I will continue to post analysis of plays that stand out to me throughout the year.

I will start with a play from our offense.

1st Quarter, 2:22, 3rd-and-8 from the 49ers' 36 yardline..
Ballgame is tied 0-0 and we have a golden opportunity (once again [see FG block]) on a short field after the Aussie muffed the punt..

We have a shotgun set, 3WR, 1TE, 1RB (Rudy in tight to the right, Adrian to the left, Charles Johnson up top, Jarius in the slot, Mike down low)

Just before snap, we see the way SF is trying to present their look. They stack 8 men in the box, trying to disguise any pressure, while both corners are on single man coverage with NO Safeties deep.

As the ball is snapped, we begin to see what the defenders' assignments are. We see only 4 men providing pressure, and at this point its still unknown if they have man coverage on all the recievers with one safety deep, or if it's only the two outside corners...

However, Ted's first read is Wallace's man. (Not a bad move since there was no safety help over the top) - Our line is establishing a nice wall for Ted thus far. The safety is still unaware that he is heading in the wrong direction, and it is becoming clear that Jarius is going to beat his potential defender on the go route.

Ted sees that Wallace is covered on the deep go route, and turns back to the blind side. At this point it is clear at this point that Jarius is blowing past the guy (Who we can see obviously was tasked with covering the shallow flat) who was covering him, and Ted should be loading up to sling a deep one for a nice gain, since the safety still isn't turning his hips.

The safety finally realizes and starts turning his hips to recover, however Jarius is already in full stride headed for the soft zone. The protection which I highlighted with the blue line is still excellent.

This is the perfect opportunity, still with excellent protection, for Ted to really step into the throw and deliver a deep strike.

The boundary I marked in green at the top corner of the image is the target area (WIIIDE OPEN)

Even this late in the play, when the protection should have broken down by now, Ted still has a chance to launch it for a possible TD. The line provides plenty of space for one more chance to step into his throw and make a solid strike for what would most likely be a TD (Unless horribly underthrown).

Instead, Ted hesitates too long, and is forced to pull it down and scrambles for 5 yards..

My takeaways from the play are this;
- That the line is capable of providing enough time for Ted.
- That our route trees are often taking too long to develop. (3 go routes?) If Wallace or Johnson would have had a slant underneath or if one of them had a deep comeback, I think that would provide a better option to get rid of the ball quicker (incase of major pressure)
- That Ted hesitated, and held on to the ball on this play- and it hurt our team.

Hope you enjoy. Send requests, and look for more plays throughout the season..!
Last edited by 84BreaksAnkles on Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Film Studies

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Does Jarius have his hand up? Good grief, Teddy could have thrown that ball 10 different times. :roll:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

84BreaksAnkles wrote:My takeaways from the play are this;
- That the line is capable of providing enough time for Ted.
- That our route trees are often taking too long to develop. (3 go routes?) If Wallace or Johnson would have had a slant underneath or if one of them had a deep comeback, I think that would provide a better option to get rid of the ball quicker (incase of major pressure)
- That Ted hesitated, and held on to the ball on this play- and it hurt our team.
Thanks for the solid analysis! Much appreciated.

The OL definitely did a good job on this play. Hopefully, that's an indication they'll be able to gel and play more consistently as the season moves forward.

Norv loves those slow-developing routes and I agree, sometimes they take too long and protection breaks down before anybody comes open. However, on this particular play, that wasn't a problem. The only real issue I see here is that Bridgewater pull the trigger. It's exactly the sort of thing that got Ponder in trouble. Bridgewater needs to recognize that opportunity and have the confidence to make that throw. Teams are likely to continue putting 8 in the box and treating Peterson as the Vikes primary threat until the Vikes pass them out of it and a play like this looks designed for just that purpose.

What's really confusing is that, when you look at this play from the endzone view in the all-22, it appears from the angle of Teddy's head that he looks directly at Wright and considers throwing the pass. Did he think the safety was going to have time to get over and make the play?

I'm guessing plays like this were a point of discussion in the film room this week.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

There has been a lot of talk this week about Ppeterson running out of the shotgun and his supposed impatience when running from that formation. I watched all 4 of his shotgun runs and frankly, I don't see impatience, just inadequate blocking. The first play is below. I'll post the other 3 later.

1st Quarter
2nd and 6, MN 16
(4:58) (Shotgun) 28-A.Peterson up the middle to MIN 17 for 1 yard (57-M.Wilhoite).

1— Pre-snap look
2— Peterson's about to take the handoff
3— Peterson has the ball. He's behind the blurred figure of Ellison, cutting across the back of the formation to block.
4— The linemen are all moving into or engaged in their blocks. Ellison is leading into the hole.
5— Neither Harris or Ellison is able to engage with LB #57, who is moving into the hole to pursue Peterson.
6— Peterson, seeing the pursuit, tries to bounce the run outside.
7— It's too late and he's tackled by Wilhoite (they're back there behind #68 Clemmings.

Conclusion: I don't see evidence of impatience on this play or blocks that would have developed had Peterson shown more patience. It looks to me like he tries to run the play as designed and follow Ellison into a hole that closing up before he (Peterson) could even get to it.

VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

that was awesome, thanks for posting!!
Pull the trigger, Teddy!!!!!!!!!!
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Thanks for the awesome break down. It is concerning that it appears Teddy looked right at Jarius and didn't pull the trigger. It's one thing if he didn't see him - that happens all the time. But him deciding not to throw is in an issue. Maybe that's what he meant when he said he was too excited for MNF - maybe he didn't want to throw an early pick on national television and took the safe route instead.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Here's the second AD run from the shotgun. Please note: these files are bigger than they appear so if you click on them, they should show up larger in your browser. If that doesn't work, I can start posting the pics separately. It just saves time to group them in one file.

3rd Quarter
1st and 10, MN 40
(12:09) (Shotgun) 28-A.Peterson left tackle to MIN 45 for 5 yards (53-N.Bowman).

1— Ball just snapped.
2— Peterson takes the handoff
3— Peterson heads to his left toward the gap between Fusco and Kalil.
4— The gap is beginning to close so Peterson bounces it outside.
5— Kalil re-engages his defender, pushing him inside but Fusco is losing Bowman.
6— Peterson, seeing the unblocked corner, looks to cut inside. Bowman is now free and pursuing down the line.
7— It's too late and he's tackled by Wilhoite (they're back there behind #68 Clemmings.
He has nowhere to go and 3 defenders converge on him for the tackle.
8— Down he goes.

It doesn't look like much from this angle but this was actually a successful 5 yard run. Again, I don't see impatience here and Kalil did a nice job of opening up the edge so Peterson could pick up some yardage. If they can do some more of this, running from the shotgun won't be problematic.

84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

A few quick WEEK 2 offensive observations before diving into key play analysis...

My week 1 offensive breakdown can be found here..viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28617&start=90

Total plays: 57 (I did not count the final 3 plays, as they we're garbage time) (And I did not count plays that had a penalty where it forced a replay of the down)
Total 1sts: 20 (12 rushing, 7 passing)
7/14 on 3rd down
1/1 on 4th down
350 Total Net Yds
Average gain per play:5.7yds
199 yds rushing
151 yds passing
1 sack for -2yds allowed.
31:06 Time of Posession

Here is the format so you can decipher this...
Quarter|Time left|Down & distance|Yard line - (reference formation) Description

The number in parenthises is the formation.
Refer to the personell package in Large font, under each Personell heading there is an image of every
formation they ran under that personell group, containing the reference number of the formation they ran for that play...

Blue = TD
Green = Excellent
Yellow = Meh
Red = Bad

Shotgun: 34 (59% of plays)
-3WR 1TE 1RB: 31
Q1|13:31|2nd&8|MIN38 - (1) Incomplete to Wright, Huge Pressure (Screen, Batted down in the backfield)
Q1|13:26|3rd&8|MIN38 - (2) Completion to Wright, +17yds (Pressure, rolls out, delivers strike on the run)
Q1|12:51|1st&10|DET20 - (3) Adrian up the middle, +5yds
Q1|12:18|2nd&5|DET15 - (4) Adrian right tackle, +2yds (Adrian trys to go outside, bounces back in, decent push)
Q1|11:44|3rd&3|DET13 - (5) Teddy up the middle, +8yds (Adrian motioned out of the backfield, QB draw)
Q1|11:09|1st&Goal|DET5 - (1) Adrian up the middle, No Gain
Q1|10:30|2nd&Goal|DET5 - (6) Completion to Rudolph, +5yds (Touchdown, Great protection)
Q1|6:57|2nd&12|MIN17 - (7) Adrian up the middle, +7yds (Good push up front, tough run)
Q1|6:13|3rd&5|MIN24 - (8) Completion to Wallace, +4yds (Jerick motioned out wide, leaving an empty set)
Q1|2:24|1st&10|50 - (9) Adrian left tackle, +9yds (Tries outside, Bounces it back in, finds a nice crease)
Q1|1:47|1st&10|DET35 - (10) Jarius left tackle, +29yds (Adrian gets handoff, reverse pitch to Jarius)
Q1|1:07|1st&Goal|DET6 - (11) Adrian up the middle, +3yds
Q2|7:12|1st&10|MIN20 - (12) Adrian left tackle, +4yds (low snap, nice hole)
Q2|6:43|2nd&6|MIN24 - (13) Completion to Johnson, +4yds (slant nice grab)
Q2|4:50|1st&10|DET12 - (14) Jerick up the middle, +3yds
Q2|4:11|2nd&7|DET9 - (15) Incomplete to Johnson (Defensive holding, 5yds)
Q2|3:23|2nd&Goal|DET8 - (16) Teddy Sacked, -2yds (Plenty of time, he could have rolled outside, but stepped into pressure)
Q2|2:47|3rd&Goal|DET10 - (17) Incomplete to Rudolph (Good protection, overthrows Rudolph in the endzone)
Q3|13:37|1st&Goal|DET6 - (18) Adrian left tackle, +2yds (Fumbles, Recovered by DET[this is after Sendejo's pick])
Q3|11:25|1st&10|DET34 - (19) Completion to Wallace, +12yds (Teddy beautifully eludes pressure, rolls out delivers a strike)
Q3|9:46|3rd&6|DET7 - (20) Teddy left guard, +6yds (Huge pressure, Ted with some great moves to elude and get the 1st)
Q3|6:06|2nd&9|MIN46 - (21) Completion to Rudolph, +5yds
Q3|5:30|3rd&4|50 - (22) Completion to Johnson, +3yds (Perfect ball by Ted, would have been 1st, but CJ bobbled it)
Q4|15:00|2nd&6|MIN22 - (23) Completion to Johnson, +3yds
Q4|14:08|3rd&8|MIN20 - (24) Completion to Rudolph, +7yds (After a false start, nice thow&catch for the 1st, in the midst of pressure)
Q4|12:55|3rd&7|MIN31 - (25) Teddy right tackle, +6yds
Q4|12:06|1st&10|DET41 - (7) Adrian right tackle, -1yd
Q4|11:33|2nd&11|DET40 - (16) Teddy left tackle, +2yds (Huge pressure, Ted eludes beautifully and rolls out)
Q4|10:54|3rd&9|DET42 - (26) Completion to Wallace, +22yds (Huge pressure, Good protection, Strike into tight coverage!)
Q4|8:53|1st&Goal|DET9 - (27) Jerick up the middle, No Gain
Q4|7:07|3rd&Goal|DET14 - (13) Completion to Adrian, +9yds (Screen pass)

-2WR 2TE 1RB: 3
Q2|5:22|1st&10|DET23 - (1) Completion to Rudolph, +11yds (Play-action, quick flat-pass)
Q3|9:52|2nd&6|DET7 - (2) Incomplete to Rudolph (Pressure, Ted escapes, rolls out to the right, throws it away)
Q4|13:02|2nd&7|MIN31 - (3) Incomplete to Ellison (Hit rhett in both hands, just like last week)

Under Center: 20 (35% of plays)
-0WR 2TE 1FB 1RB (1 extra lineman as an ineligible receiver): 3
Q2|14:59|3rd&Goal|DET1 - (1) Adrian left guard, No Gain
Q2|14:33|4th&Goal|DET1 - (2) Teddy left tackle, +1yd (Touchdown, on the fake handoff bootleg)
Q3|9:05|1st&Goal|DET1 - (2) Line up the middle, +1yd (Touchdown)

-1WR 2TE 1FB 1RB: 3
Q1|0:32|2nd&Goal|DET3 - (1) Adrian up the middle, +2yds (Good push up front, I thought it was a TD)
Q2|6:05|3rd&1|MIN28 - (1) Completion to Adrian, +49yds (Play-action, huge pressure, Adrian had a weak block, teddy shovels to him, bounces outside, huge gain)
Q2|4:04|1st&Goal|DET 4 - (1) Adrian right tackle, -4yds (Right side got blown up)

-1WR 3TE 1RB:1
Q4|9:29|3rd&1|DET12 - (1) Adrian right guard, +4yds

-2WR 1TE 1FB 1RB: 3
Q1|14:55|1st&10|MIN25 - (1) Adrian up the middle, No Gain
Q1|2:01|2nd&1|DET41 - (2) Adrian up the middle, +6yds (Bounces it outside for a big gain, after holes clog up)
Q4|1:47|1st&10|DET48 - (3) Adrian up the middle, +19yds (Bounces it outside, after holes clog in mid)

-2WR 2TE 1RB:1
Q4|13:48|1st&10|MIN28 - (1) Adrian up the middle, +3yds

-3WR 1TE 1RB: 9
Q1|14:26|2nd&10|MIN25 - (1) Adrian up the middle, +11yds
Q1|13:57|1st&10|MIN36 - (2) Adrian up the middle, +2yds
Q1|13:20|1st&10|DET46 - (3) Adrian up the middle, +25yds (Explodes through the 1st level, bounces outside)
Q3|10:59|1st&10|DET22 - (4) Adrian up the middle, +11yds (Bounces it outside after holes get clogged)
Q3|10:33|1st&10|DET11 - (4) Adrian up the middle, +4yds
Q3|7:31|1st&10|MIN47 - (5) Adrian up the middle, +8yds
Q3|7:01|2nd&2|DET45 - (5) Adrian right guard, +4yds (Unnecessary Roughness on Kalil -15yds)
Q4|10:28|1st&10|DET21 - (4) Adrian left tackle, +9yds (explosive juking)
Q4|10:06|2nd&1|DET12 - (3) Adrian right guard, No Gain
Q4|7:49|2nd&Goal|DET18 - (4) Adrian left guard, +3yds (Fumbles, recovers his own fumble at the DET14)

Pistol:3 (5.2% of plays)
-3WR 1TE 1RB: 2
Q3|6:48|1st&10|MIN44 - (1) Completion to Rudolph, +1yd (Free blitzer in Ted's face off of the play-action roll out)
Q3|0:47|1st&10|MIN18 - (2) Adrian right tackle, +4yds

-2WR 2TE 1RB: 1
Q1|7:25|1st&10|MIN19 - (1) Adrian right tackle, -2yds (Clemmings/Ellison whiffed the Ansah block)
Last edited by 84BreaksAnkles on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 10 times in total.
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote:Here's the second AD run from the shotgun. Please note: these files are bigger than they appear so if you click on them, they should show up larger in your browser. If that doesn't work, I can start posting the pics separately. It just saves time to group them in one file.

3rd Quarter
1st and 10, MN 40
(12:09) (Shotgun) 28-A.Peterson left tackle to MIN 45 for 5 yards (53-N.Bowman).

1— Ball just snapped.
2— Peterson takes the handoff
3— Peterson heads to his left toward the gap between Fusco and Kalil.
4— The gap is beginning to close so Peterson bounces it outside.
5— Kalil re-engages his defender, pushing him inside but Fusco is losing Bowman.
6— Peterson, seeing the unblocked corner, looks to cut inside. Bowman is now free and pursuing down the line.
He has nowhere to go and 3 defenders converge on him for the tackle.
8— Down he goes.

It doesn't look like much from this angle but this was actually a successful 5 yard run. Again, I don't see impatience here and Kalil did a nice job of opening up the edge so Peterson could pick up some yardage. If they can do some more of this, running from the shotgun won't be problematic.
I suppose it was not a fair assessment but I did see AP run up the backs of his lineman and I thought there was a hole to the right that he could have hit, maybe. So I apologize for the rants this past week. I still worry about Teddy and his delivery but I really could care less about that as long as the Vikings win. I am relieved they won this week.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

A couple studies of our Run D..
Look at Linval with some extremely nice plays in the running game....
He's lined up in the b gap just over center & right guard

Another Brilliant play by Linval, where he has his eyes on the ball carrier the whole time, and the second Joique bounces it back inside Linval gets there..
Hes lined up directly over center in this one..

Look at how not only Linval, but also Sharrif do a tremendous job blowing up their blocks, and getting in the backfield... Here's two different looks at this one..

If our D-line is going to provide this kind of push against the run, then it doesn't matter how our LB's play.....
Terrific job inside last week guys!!!
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"