Rookie Diary: Hands-off by Trae Waynes

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Rookie Diary: Hands-off by Trae Waynes

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Rookie Diary: Hands-off by Trae Waynes

Post by Purple bruise »

Some 20/20 rant has already begun on drafting Waynes instead of Peters. A couple of things here are important: 1). this team did not need to "gamble" their first round pick on Peters in light of his history and the fact that the Vikes were/are trying to clean up their image (see the AD debacle). 2). Who is to say that Waynes wont turn out as good or better than Rhodes? There are some short memories floating around about what a bust Rhodes was after his first year. Seems as though his play has squelched most of that negative talk and I can see the same type of history repeating itself her (in some instances).

FYI: From ESPN draft analyst A risky pick: "The Chiefs are gambling on Peters’ character. He was suspended for one game early last season after a sideline rant during a game. He later was thrown off the team after confronting one of the members of the Washington coaching staff. Some teams reportedly didn’t have Peters on their draft boards because of his emotional outbursts. Peterson might have been drafted higher than he was but was instead the third cornerback drafted because of character concerns".
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

There are valid arguments on both sides of "risk vs. reward" I can sum it up in two players. Randy Moss and Justin Blackmon. It is too early really to put the grade on either Waynes or Peters. But so far, Peters has out done Waynes. It is what it is.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CbusVikesFan wrote:There are valid arguments on both sides of "risk vs. reward" I can sum it up in two players. Randy Moss and Justin Blackmon. It is too early really to put the grade on either Waynes or Peters. But so far, Peters has out done Waynes. It is what it is.
Out done simply because he's starting because KC has nobody else. Granted Peters has played well but Waynes hasn't been on the field much to even show what he has so it's hard to judge
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purple bruise wrote:Some 20/20 rant has already begun on drafting Waynes instead of Peters. A couple of things here are important: 1). this team did not need to "gamble" their first round pick on Peters in light of his history and the fact that the Vikes were/are trying to clean up their image (see the AD debacle). 2). Who is to say that Waynes wont turn out as good or better than Rhodes? There are some short memories floating around about what a bust Rhodes was after his first year. Seems as though his play has squelched most of that negative talk and I can see the same type of history repeating itself her (in some instances).

FYI: From ESPN draft analyst A risky pick: "The Chiefs are gambling on Peters’ character. He was suspended for one game early last season after a sideline rant during a game. He later was thrown off the team after confronting one of the members of the Washington coaching staff. Some teams reportedly didn’t have Peters on their draft boards because of his emotional outbursts. Peterson might have been drafted higher than he was but was instead the third cornerback drafted because of character concerns".
Agree 100%
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Out done simply because he's starting because KC has nobody else. Granted Peters has played well but Waynes hasn't been on the field much to even show what he has so it's hard to judge
That's unfair, Peters has played well in the games he's started. If Waynes was playing as well as Peters right now, 37 year old Terrence Newman wouldn't be starting.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Out done simply because he's starting because KC has nobody else. Granted Peters has played well but Waynes hasn't been on the field much to even show what he has so it's hard to judge
So far, that is a check mark on Peters' side. Are the Vikings better opposite Rhodes to say that Peters would not be starting for the Vikings?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think we need to wait two seasons maybe three to see which was the right choice..

I no Zimmer and Spielman don't want bad citizens ..Football players with that are
civicly responsible...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

DK Sweets wrote:That's unfair, Peters has played well in the games he's started. If Waynes was playing as well as Peters right now, 37 year old Terrence Newman wouldn't be starting.
Agree completely. My perspective is this... Marcus Peters (Although he's undoubtedly had rookie moments if you go back and watch him closely) has played incredibly in his first two starts in the league. Unbelievable plays made, and I saw this snip from the game where a veteran almost blew up and threw hands. The rookie Peters ran over and settled him down, and got him back in the zone- showing ultimate leadership from a young cat. Not much later he made an incredible cut, reading Peyton Manning, jumping the route, sixing it- for his 2nd interception in his first two career starts. It's not only the picks, he has displayed incredible ability being thrown against Deandre Hopkins and Demaryius Thomas among others.

The mere fact that he is starting in week 1 on THAT defense (2nd overall in scoring in 2014) and making THOSE plays.. while as others have mentioned that Waynes hasn't even been able to get on the field hardly..

The case is by no means closed. But judging off of the real life early production, I would waaaaay rather have had Peters up to this point. I'm hoping this changes soon (with a mixture of Peters coming back down to earth, and Trae slowly but surely earning that starting spot. But that's off whimsical fantasy at this point.
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I just read the article. Interesting piece; I love reading pieces written by the players. Thanks for sharing.

I have hope that with his physical gifts we can end up having the very best young secondary in the league soon (here's looking at you, Seattle). Not convinced yet, but I'm not convinced he's a bust by any means, either.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

jackal wrote:I think we need to wait two seasons maybe three to see which was the right choice..

I no Zimmer and Spielman don't want bad citizens ..Football players with that are
civicly responsible...
This is my whole argument today. I am tired of the wait and see. There are players available to us that are better than what we have and still we swim in the pool of mediocrity. If we keep drafting these wait and see players, waiting and seeing is what we will do for the next decade, again. My feeling anyways. I have waited and seen so much crap over the years it makes me wonder sometimes if we will ever return to the glory. if the golden ring will ever be reached.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

84BreaksAnkles wrote: Agree completely. My perspective is this... Marcus Peters (Although he's undoubtedly had rookie moments if you go back and watch him closely) has played incredibly in his first two starts in the league. Unbelievable plays made, and I saw this snip from the game where a veteran almost blew up and threw hands. The rookie Peters ran over and settled him down, and got him back in the zone- showing ultimate leadership from a young cat. Not much later he made an incredible cut, reading Peyton Manning, jumping the route, sixing it- for his 2nd interception in his first two career starts. It's not only the picks, he has displayed incredible ability being thrown against Deandre Hopkins and Demaryius Thomas among others.

The mere fact that he is starting in week 1 on THAT defense (2nd overall in scoring in 2014) and making THOSE plays.. while as others have mentioned that Waynes hasn't even been able to get on the field hardly..

The case is by no means closed. But judging off of the real life early production, I would waaaaay rather have had Peters up to this point. I'm hoping this changes soon (with a mixture of Peters coming back down to earth, and Trae slowly but surely earning that starting spot. But that's off whimsical fantasy at this point.
History often times repeats itself.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Agree 100%
I think the character stuff is garbage. If I'm a head coach, I'm confident in the culture I've instilled and the core leadership I have on my team to the point where I know if he shows talent and potential and is willing to work, my established leaders will hold him accountable. Usually players tend to shape up when they become accountable to their teammates- as opposed to an approach of organizational babying and hand holding. What I have seen early from Peters is a guy who is obviously extremely talented, looks like he plays with great intensity and passion, and has the bond with his TeamMates.

That is enough for me to completely ignore media generated character 'concerns'. Each individual is unique, and blanket labels of "character issues" pisses me off.

Are we simply victims and prey of fate?
Or can we trust in our leadership as coaches, count on our leaders to help bring talented passionate kids up? and Get a Dez Bryant caliber player who loves his team and is a BALLER
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

]

I think the character stuff is garbage. If I'm a head coach, I'm confident in the culture I've instilled and the core leadership I have on my team to the point where I know if he shows talent and potential and is willing to work, my established leaders will hold him accountable. Usually players tend to shape up when they become accountable to their teammates- as opposed to an approach of organizational babying and hand holding. What I have seen early from Peters is a guy who is obviously extremely talented, looks like he plays with great intensity and passion, and has the bond with his TeamMates.

That is enough for me to completely ignore media generated character 'concerns'. Each individual is unique, and blanket labels of "character issues" pisses me off.

Are we simply victims and prey of fate?
Or can we trust in our leadership as coaches, count on our leaders to help bring talented passionate kids up? and Get a Dez Bryant caliber player who loves his team and is a BALLER[/quote]

Media concerns :? He was thrown off of his college team for getting into with a coach :!: How did the whizzinator work out for us :lol: Just one small example of hundreds:
Onterrio came from a broken home in the projects of Sacramento to be a football star at Grant High School. After an illustrious High School career he accepted a scholarship to attend the University of Tennessee. It was clear from his first day at school that he was a star both socially and on the field. The Volunteer fans only got to witness his amazing abilities for one season before he was kicked out for marijuana use.

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Character stuff is garbage? Says Justin Blackmon
-Chazz Palminteri