Starting time

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Starting time

Post by PurpleMustReign »

If the Vikings ever start that late again, I will be very upset. That is stupid to have a game that late and involve a non-west coast team. Why on earth would the NFL think that would be ok?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Starting time

Post by dead_poet »

Ratings. $$
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:Ratings. $$
I don't care... They didn't ask my permission first. :-P

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Are the Vikings really that big of a draw for prime time national games? Do people outside of MN, Iowa, North Dakota and South Dakota watch the Vikes?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
dead_poet
Commissioner

Starting time

Post by dead_poet »

720pete wrote:Are the Vikings really that big of a draw for prime time national games? Do people outside of MN, Iowa, North Dakota and South Dakota watch the Vikes?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
It's more football than Vikings-specific. At least it probably was Monday night. See below.
The Week 1 Vikings/49ers Monday Night Football game drew an 8.8 rating and 14.3 million viewers on ESPN, according to Nielsen fast-nationals — up 24% in ratings and viewership from Cardinals/Chargers last year (7.1, 11.5M), up 24% and 31%, respectively, from Texans/Chargers in 2013 (7.1, 11.0M), and the highest rated and most-watched late game of the annual MNF doubleheader (10 telecasts).

The previous highs were a 7.6 and 11.9 million for Chargers/Raiders in 2009.

In addition to the record performance, Vikings/49ers was also the first late game of the MNF doubleheader to outdraw the early window. Eagles/Falcons had an 8.5 and 13.6 million earlier in the night, up 1% in ratings and down 1% in viewership from Giants/Lions last year (8.4, 13.7M) and down 16% and 18%, respectively, from Eagles/Washington in 2013 (10.1, 16.5M).

Overall, the MNF doubleheader averaged an 8.6 and 13.9 million viewers — trailing only 2013 (8.7, 14.0M) as the highest rated and most-watched since it began in 2006.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/09 ... s-falcons/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly