Vikings @ 49er's Gameday Discussion Thread -- Week 1

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Vikings @ 49er's Gameday Discussion Thread -- Week 1

Post by S197 »

Interesting. Zimmer seeming to put a lot of the blame on Teddy, not the o-line.
James
Rookie

Post by James »

fiestavike wrote: I'm guessing they game planned to go pass heavy. they've been saying all weak, "we'll do what we're good at". I think the take away from this game is that they are worse at running than they are at passing. a dark thought!
I feared they would do this. Get away from the running game because they figured that the defense would be keyed in solely on the run game all night. They must have forgot football 101 where it says establish a run game if you have a good running back and then the pass game will open. Nah, the coaches came in with the wrong game plan and it backfired, big time. I know this is just Zimmer's second year as HC but Norv Turner is no newbie to being an offensive coordinator. He needs to make better plays for Peterson to succeed in. If Peterson has games like this all year long, we are in trouble. We are already short on O-Line. Why make it worse keeping the ball out our RBs hands? lol
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

James wrote: I feared they would do this. Get away from the running game because they figured that the defense would be keyed in solely on the run game all night. They must have forgot football 101 where it says establish a run game if you have a good running back and then the pass game will open. Nah, the coaches came in with the wrong game plan and it backfired, big time. I know this is just Zimmer's second year as HC but Norv Turner is no newbie to being an offensive coordinator. He needs to make better plays for Peterson to succeed in. If Peterson has games like this all year long, we are in trouble. We are already short on O-Line. Why make it worse keeping the ball out our RBs hands? lol
I'm not sure their OL has shown any ability to run block to date. I'm not sure it was even an option.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

UK Phil wrote:Trent Dilfer's performance tonight wasn't as bad as the Vikings. I think that speaks volumes. The guy is hands down the worst commentator on the circuit right now.
Amen brother. I would rather have 2 Joe Buck's announcing the Dilfer. I pray, I never have to listen to another game he announces. Didnt car for Bermen either
James
Rookie

Post by James »

fiestavike wrote: I'm not sure their OL has shown any ability to run block to date. I'm not sure it was even an option.
Lol well we know pass blocking wasn't on the menu either that much for tonight. Kalil did a good job but the rest of the O-Line looked bad.
With Sully and Loadholt gone, it really showed tonight and I see why some fans were nervous coming into this game.
LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by LA Viking »

I just got home from the game, and haven't had a chance to read any of this thread, but wow, we looked terrible. First and foremost, I haven't seen a Vikings run D this bad in - well, I can't remember the last time. On top of that, Teddy looked like a Rookie who had never played on the big stage. Like a deer in headlights most of the game. I want to go back over the film, but it seemed like he missed seeing some open receivers on a number of plays and also had a couple horribly overthrown passes to open receivers. Then we have our O-Line. Sheesh. I knew they were going to suck though, so I'm not even that mad. Also want to watch our LBs because it looked like they were getting owned all night.

Lastly, why was Sendejo starting - and playing most of the game up until the 4th (or so)? I think he's our 3rd best SS (and that's saying a lot bc I don't think Blanton is very good).

Oh, and time to look for a new kicker.

(Were there any positives from this game?!)
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

S197 wrote:Interesting. Zimmer seeming to put a lot of the blame on Teddy, not the o-line.
He's right, 100% right. It is on teddy, i have no idea where he was throwing the ball at times, and the two passes before the half were mind boggling.

One game doesn't make a season by any means. But if they lose to detroit next week and GB beats seattle we are not winning this division. I just don't see it. You don't come out and play a gutted, below mediocre team the way they did tonight and expect anything. They looked completely lost and the majority of the blame is on teddy.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Mothman wrote:— I fear Norv is the wrong coordinator for the Vikes offense. His playcalling, game plan and use of personnel were all brutal tonight. I'm not impressed with what he's done thus far in Minnesota.

This. This x1,000,000,000,000

I said that the moment he came to the vikings. Sometimes people make a name for themselves and others can't see how the hell it happened, this is the case with me. I have no idea how this dude comes off as some offensive guru, he didn't show me anything in cleveland, san diego, washington, oakland, etc. Nothing. He has a losing record as a head coach despite having some good talent. And won super bowls as an offensive coordinator with arguably the best offensive line ever assembled in history and three hall of famers in the triplets. Is that what did it? I can't see how this guy is a guru

Again, patterson didn't touch the ball once i believe, dunno, i turned the game off early in the third quarter. I don't care if he can't run routes, get him the damn ball, dont care how you do it. And diggs needs to be on the field too.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Boon wrote: He's right, 100% right. It is on teddy, i have no idea where he was throwing the ball at times, and the two passes before the half were mind boggling.

One game doesn't make a season by any means. But if they lose to detroit next week and GB beats seattle we are not winning this division. I just don't see it. You don't come out and play a gutted, below mediocre team the way they did tonight and expect anything. They looked completely lost and the majority of the blame is on teddy.
It is a massive assumption to say the 49ers are below mediocre, its the first week of the regular season. Offseason speculation means very little, id let us get to week 3 before we start labelling teams and declaring seasons null and void.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: ps, neither team will be in the playoffs.
I think both teams have a chance to be playoff teams.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
UKViking
Backup

Post by UKViking »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but was it me or did it look like there was a player out of position on every play on defense? It seemed like there was a lot of moving around and fidgeting almost like no one really knew what was going on at times, or was the defense making adjustments to what they were seeing?
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

That was brutal.

49er's look like they're in a different league.

Don't want to over react so I think I'll sleep on it.

At least the 49er cheerleaders were nice to look at.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Game Stats

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201509140 ... ab=analyze

I would still like to see us do something with 2 backs like the Eagles with Murray/ Matthew's. But first we need some blocking.
We got out rushed 230 yards for SF, Hyde had 168 yards - 71 yards for us.
Disappointing first game...
Last edited by halfgiz on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

MrPurplenGold wrote:Peterson is not a shotgun back runner, I don't know why they keep running out of the shotgun

I almost get the feeling Peterson doesn't fit in this offense. He likes it deep in the backfield.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
London Viking
Practice Squad

Post by London Viking »

Stayed up till 6am for that garbage -v- the 49ers, they better get there heads together for the Detroit game and get the o-line right & Norv needs to get that play book open as it looked clueless offensively at times.

What was up with AP?? he didn't look like he knew what planet he was on, most of the time teddy had to tell him what side of him he had to line up. Has to much damage been done with him and the organisation....can he be bothered anymore?? if they were concerned about peterson being rusty why didn't they give him a half to play in a pre-season game. McKinnon ran the ball well and wasn't getting stuffed!!

ISSUES
- O-LINE
- PETERSON
- LACK OF DEFENSIVE PRESSURE
- COULDN'T STOP THE RUN
- BLAIR WALSH
- NORV TURNER'S PLAY CALLING ESPECIALLY ON 3RD DOWN

Hopefully it was just a one off bad game but without loadholt & sullivan i think we're in for some tough times ahead. The one plus was i couldnt recall kalil giving up to much.

SKOL and roll on sunday so we can get this performance out of the way (hopefully)