Peterson and third downs -- Keep him in?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Peterson and third downs -- Keep him in?

Post by dead_poet »

I saw this and got a bit depressed. I want to see what AD can do on third downs this season. I absolutely hate taking the best player off the field, particularly on vital third downs. I understand if he constantly blows an assignment but if I'm Turner I'm going to make AD show me Asiata should be out there instead. AD in space is still lethal. I'm not saying AD should be out there for every third down situation but I want him out there for most of them. Agree?

Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Matt Vensel said Adrian Peterson could be taken off the field in third-down situations.

Vensel believes Matt Asiata is the best pass protector and Jerick McKinnon is the best receiving back, so subbing one of them in for Peterson on obvious passing situations would allow the Vikings to spell Peterson without losing much in the offense. Peterson has never had more than 43 receptions in a season.
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Peterson and third downs -- Keep him in?

Post by DK Sweets »

If I'm forced to pick agree/disagree, I will agree with you. That said, I want those other two players to get some opportunities as well and I think third down is generally the best down to utilize both of them (the exception being Asiata on the goalline, which is also a situation I don't want Peterson removed from the game).

Peterson is getting to the age where it makes sense to give him some breathers. I don't want him out on any play, but he has to come out sometimes. So if this ends up being a situation where Adrian is rarely in on third downs, then yeah, that's a terrible plan. If it's a situation where he comes out more frequently on third down than he does on first and second down (lets say he plays 60% of third down attempts versus 90% of early downs) then I'm okay with this.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Its always been pitifull that a guy paid that much cant tame the time to learn how to pass block. He has the Strength and quickness, I just think he doesnt WANT to do it. Its a bit selfish and it makes our play calling alot more predictable when he comes off the field.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

dead_poet wrote:I'm not saying AD should be out there for every third down situation but I want him out there for most of them. Agree?
As bad as we want the Vikes to win, the coaches and players want it more, and I don't see Turner doing anything that reduces the chances of his offense converting a 3rd down. AD should be on the field when his skill set and abilities make him the best option, and if that isn't on 3rd down, so be it.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

You guys have not been paying attention over the years. Peterson is has been taken out of most 3rd down plays for years. He has always been a poor pass blocker. If it was 3rd and more than 5 yards, he was never in there.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I feel like his pass protection has improved but he continues to carry the poor protection (and hands) stigma. I agree with DP that it makes no sense to take your best player off the field on a crucial down. Naturally if it's for a breather then that's one thing but if it's just because they feel he can't fill the role of a 3rd down back, that's completely different.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I feel like his pass protection has improved but he continues to carry the poor protection (and hands) stigma.
Really? The last season he played any real amount of time, there were a number of complete whiffs. Him just reaching as the defender ran by him. And still balls bouncing off his hands.

Three offensive coordinators have decided to take him off the field, and it's a stigma? These coaches break down plenty of tape, watch practice, etc. He isn't a good blocker, or pass catcher. Never has been, likely never will be at this point. Takes a bit more mentally to pick up those areas...as great as he is physically.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Demi wrote: Really? The last season he played any real amount of time, there were a number of complete whiffs. Him just reaching as the defender ran by him. And still balls bouncing off his hands.

Three offensive coordinators have decided to take him off the field, and it's a stigma? These coaches break down plenty of tape, watch practice, etc. He isn't a good blocker, or pass catcher. Never has been, likely never will be at this point. Takes a bit more mentally to pick up those areas...as great as he is physically.
"He runs good routes," Zimmer said. "He catches the ball good. He caught a lot out here today. There's times when he'll double catch it a little bit but most of the time he's pretty darn good. And people are afraid of his speed, which gives him some area to beat people underneath or beat people to the perimeter. I think he'll be a good weapon."
http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/vi ... ame-072614
"He's an outstanding pass protector, when you keep him in his element," offensive coordinator Norv Turner said.

That seemed to be Turner's way of saying his pass protection schemes are different.

"We don't want him blocking defensive ends," Turner said. "We don't want him blocking 280-pound outside linebackers. When he's blocking the people he should be blocking, he's very good in pass protection."
"We want to be a team that runs a lot of plays," Turner said. "The way you do that is you get first downs, to me, on first and second down. If he's getting a bunch of carries and playing a bunch on first and second down, we have the ability to use Matt (Asiata) or potentially Jerick (McKinnon) on third downs. But we're certainly getting Adrian ready to play on third downs. Obviously, that includes two-minute (offense) because you want his presence on the field."
http://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/201 ... /13251751/

I'm sure there's some PFF or more in depth breakdowns out there (I recall seeing some here) but that's what I found doing a 5-second google search.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Not all the time. Probably most of the time.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

My first thought is there are 280 pound outside linebackers? DE's yes I can see that ...

I got to be honest I think the Vikings screwed up on line .. They should have kept another OL
and let Asiata, Pruitt, and Ellison handle the FB role...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

VikingLord wrote:As bad as we want the Vikes to win, the coaches and players want it more, and I don't see Turner doing anything that reduces the chances of his offense converting a 3rd down. AD should be on the field when his skill set and abilities make him the best option, and if that isn't on 3rd down, so be it.

That's exactly how I feel.

I'm going into this season trusting Zimmer and Turner (unless they prove otherwise). As it is, if they feel the team can get more from another RB on third downs, that's fine with me.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I saw this and got a bit depressed. I want to see what AD can do on third downs this season. I absolutely hate taking the best player off the field, particularly on vital third downs. I understand if he constantly blows an assignment but if I'm Turner I'm going to make AD show me Asiata should be out there instead. AD in space is still lethal. I'm not saying AD should be out there for every third down situation but I want him out there for most of them. Agree?

Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Matt Vensel said Adrian Peterson could be taken off the field in third-down situations.

Vensel believes Matt Asiata is the best pass protector and Jerick McKinnon is the best receiving back, so subbing one of them in for Peterson on obvious passing situations would allow the Vikings to spell Peterson without losing much in the offense. Peterson has never had more than 43 receptions in a season.
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

I'd love to know exactly what Vensel actually said or wrote rather than just having a summary from Rotoworld.

What stands out to me in the quoted text is the phrase "obvious passing situations", which suggests to me that Peterson could be pulled on some third downs but it wouldn't necessarily be an automatic occurrence.

What also stands out is that, as phrased above, this information is speculation based on Vensel's assessment of the RBs, rather than info directly from the Vikings. Is this an approach the coaches intend to take or just something Vensel thinks will happen?

Anyway, I agree with you: I'd rather see Ppeterson on the field for most of the offensive plays, regardless of down or distance. He will need a break at times so I don't have a problem with Asiata or Mckinnon stepping in for him but I think that should be done sparingly.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Here you go, Jim:
How much time will AP see in 3rd down situations?
Bill, that is still an unknown. But I think we will see Adrian in some of those situations, especially in 3rd and short. Matt Asiata is the best pass protector and Jerick McKinnon is the best receiving back. So the Vikings will take Peterson off the field for longer distances. Plus, that's one way to spell Peterson a little bit. I know he's a cyborg, but I'm pretty sure age is a factor for them, too.
http://live.startribune.com/Event/Vikin ... y_2?Page=0
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks! I couldn't find it and I really like to get this stuff as "unfiltered" as possible.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote: Really? The last season he played any real amount of time, there were a number of complete whiffs. Him just reaching as the defender ran by him. And still balls bouncing off his hands.

Once again, I disagree. You've posted 1 video of him dropping a ball which literally tells me nothing. The best WRs ever drop plenty of balls.

ACTUALLY take the time to watch 5:00-8:00 on this video where they show Peterson making plenty of good catches and making many good blocks. Just because you only remember what you want to remember, doesn't mean he's a bad pass catcher or blocker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mItf5URwkk
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri