Week 1 predictions: Vikings vs. 49ers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Week 1 predictions: Vikings vs. 49ers

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote: Those are two factors that are weighing on me too. Add to that our O-line situation and just how pathetic we've looked running the ball. I would like to think that Adrian is SO motivated to prove a point and take out his pent up anger that it won't matter. But I'm afraid that is expecting too much, even of guy who continually amazes the world with his ability and strength.

Maybe those of us who have seen the Vikings disappoint so many times over the years are just bracing ourselves for another season. I hope that's all it is!
I also worry because Peterson has always had a hard time being patient, which usually means he runs into the line before a hole even has the potential of opening up. After a healthy "year off" I expect that to be the case again. And he's never had much success against San Francisco.

I also think Jim Tomsula is going to want to send the league a message after essentially being left for dead and will have his team well prepared and playing with intensity. Thankfully Kaepernick has his own set of flaws and I hope he's not able to be too elusive and kill us with his legs by extending plays and/or rushing for repeated first downs.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

DK Sweets wrote:Not to detract from the hilarity of this post, but do you really speak four languages?

:oops:
Yes. Some better than others though! It's what I do. The rest of the post is obviously in jest.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Maybe those of us who have seen the Vikings disappoint so many times over the years are just bracing ourselves for another season. I hope that's all it is!
That's probably it. We have scars... so many scars...
DK Sweets wrote:Not to detract from the hilarity of this post, but do you really speak four languages?
Yes, and which languages do you speak? We're curious!

I'm going to assume English is one of them, mainly because you used the word verisimilitude. :)
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: That's probably it. We have scars... so many scars...
Yes, and which languages do you speak? We're curious!

I'm going to assume English is one of them, mainly because you used the word verisimilitude. :)
I speak English and Spanish at a native level. My Italian is decent, but in need of some maintenance. My Latin is even more rusty, but I get by. I can usually make sense of written French, Portuguese, and Catalan, though it takes some effort.

Now back to the Vikings!

DP: you hit a strong point. I have this fear that AD will run into piles over and over and all that anger will be wasted pummeling our own linemen. He might even hurt our already depleted line!
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I truly believe that the Vikings are better in every facet of this game. I think that our d line is gonna rip apart the makeshift o line of the 9ers. Our linebackers are athletic enough to totally contain Hyde and kap.

The offense will be great I thinks, ap and teddy will both have amazing games.

Vikings roll to a 34-10 game.

Also if you want a good laugh go over to the niners board and read their predictions. 95% of their posters think the Vikings are the most overrated team and they are completely crap.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:[I speak English and Spanish at a native level. My Italian is decent, but in need of some maintenance. My Latin is even more rusty, but I get by. I can usually make sense of written French, Portuguese, and Catalan, though it takes some effort.
Impressive!
Now back to the Vikings!

DP: you hit a strong point. I have this fear that AD will run into piles over and over and all that anger will be wasted pummeling our own linemen. He might even hurt our already depleted line!
I'm less concerned about his ability to be patient than the number of times he might get hit in the backfield or have to break tackles just to get past the line of scrimmage. It's going to be interesting to see how he performs. I'm expecting some "rust".
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

dead_poet wrote: I also worry because Peterson has always had a hard time being patient, which usually means he runs into the line before a hole even has the potential of opening up. After a healthy "year off" I expect that to be the case again. And he's never had much success against San Francisco.

I also think Jim Tomsula is going to want to send the league a message after essentially being left for dead and will have his team well prepared and playing with intensity. Thankfully Kaepernick has his own set of flaws and I hope he's not able to be too elusive and kill us with his legs by extending plays and/or rushing for repeated first downs.
You touched on both of the aspects of the 49ers that I think will be big factors in the game.

On defense, the 3-4 always seems to give AD trouble, especially if the LBs stay home. AD has always been a great cut-and-jump back, but when he struggles its usually because the 2nd level of the defense isn't giving him a cut back lane. When a defense plays a 4-3, the cutback lane is usually taken way by bringing a safety down into the box. In 3-4 alignments, defenses can get away with just being gap disciplined on the defensive line and having LBs who don't get sucked out of position. We've seen some examples of AD going off on 3-4 alignments, but in general he seems to get more of his big plays against the 4-3 than the 3-4. (note - I fully expect someone to go out and compile stats on this, so I freely disclaim that I have no evidence save my memory to support the above)

On the other side of the field, I expect Kap to try to do a lot of scrambling and, in his case, attempting to run for extra yards. I am not nearly as worried about Kap going off in the air even though the 49ers have some weapons, but he can be very difficult to contain as a running threat. I think the Vikes have the talent in the front 7 to neutralize that, but a lot depends on their willingness to stay home and stay disciplined in their pass rush. Zimmer has probably thoroughly beaten any lack of discipline in the pass rush out of them by now, so I think they'll keep Kap contained.

While I think the Vikings have the potential to put up a lot of points this year, I don't think the offensive line is going to afford Norv the confidence he'd need to call for a more aggressive gameplan. At least in this first game, the Vikes will be content to win the TOP battle and field position mostly, although we still could see several big plays that make the score look more lopsided. The 49ers don't have the stars to win outright. They could pull it out with a few turnovers and/or big special teams plays.

I'm going to go Vikes - 17, 49ers - 10, with the 49ers getting a late TD to make it look closer than it was.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Week 1 predictions: Vikings vs. 49ers

Post by DK Sweets »

I don't like putting numbers on things for a variety of reasons. I particularly don't like stat lines. I'm going to pass along a few thoughts though...

I don't think they have enough talent to contain Peterson IF our line blocks well enough for him. I do think they will commit a lot of resources to stopping Peterson, so I don't expect big numbers from him. Conversely, I expect their focus on Peterson to open up a lot of intermediate throws for Teddy. I don't think they have enough firepower to cover Wallace deep, Rudolph in the middle, and Peterson on the ground. I expect Jarius and Charles Johnson to have nice games.

Defensively, I expect a lot of base sets because of the focus on the run by the 49ers. Our defense has shown a weakness against the run, and I expect them to try to exploit that. I don't expect Kaepernick to be able to connect passes with any sort of regularity, but I think Zimmer will dial up the pressure more conservatively than he normally does while keeping a spy on Kaepernick. If the 49ers want to win, it will be because Kaep proved something with his arm, not because they ran the ball with ease.

I don't know exactly how I feel about the score, but I do expect the Vikings to win a close one.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

forget about all those old road statistics. they were all under weak defensive coaches. green, tice, and childress? zimmer's team will be tough and not fold like a lawn chair as many of our teams have done in the past. i do think we have gotten too much hype, but i can still seeing us winning 9 or 10 games. last year we went 0-6 in our division-that is what did us in. i don't think the lions or the bears are very good.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

To win, the Vikings need to contain and pressure Kaepernick and establish a consistent passing attack. If they can do that, I think the rest will fall into place.

To be honest, I have no idea what to expect. I wouldn't be surprised if Peterson breaks 200 yds. I also wouldn't be surprised if Jarryd from down under out gains Adrian.

I'm just glad week 1 is finally here.

Prediction: Patterson plays sparingly but scores 2 TDs. Vikings escape with a win in a sloppy game, 29-25.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Texas Vike wrote: Those are two factors that are weighing on me too. Add to that our O-line situation and just how pathetic we've looked running the ball. I would like to think that Adrian is SO motivated to prove a point and take out his pent up anger that it won't matter. But I'm afraid that is expecting too much, even of guy who continually amazes the world with his ability and strength.

Maybe those of us who have seen the Vikings disappoint so many times over the years are just bracing ourselves for another season. I hope that's all it is!
IIRC, Peterson hasn't exactly had his best games against the Niners. Maybe I'm thinking of another team.

Vikings need to use their WR speed as much as possible. Get the ball out of Teddy's hands quickly, because I don't believe for a second that we'll see much consistency from the OL for Teddy's throws or Peterson's runs.

I always worry about road games for the Vikings.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

losperros wrote: I always worry about road games for the Vikings.
Add the fact that it's a primetime road game and it gets even more worrisome.

When was the last time the Vikings won a primetime game? Does London count? If not, I'm guessing Favre was the QB.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Stop living in the past. This is the now, and right now the Vikings are going to be a great team...... the niners are not. Their O line is terrible, Kap is gonna be sacked atleast 4 times I am thinking more like 7.

Also I don't think Jarryd Hyne or howerver you spell his name will get many snaps at RB he will be primarily used as a returner. But we are not going to punt at all so it will be ok.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

I won't predict a win or a loss. But I will predict the first play of the game for the Vikings. Bridgewater throws one deep to Wallace. Now, is it complete? Don't know. But it's going downfield.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

I agree. I don't understand this notion of "oh.. Well the Vikings always have a tough time on the road" or.. "Adrian struggles against the 49ers"
Ya, every runningback in the world did. That was one of the better defenses of all time. But. The rosters are completely different. The coaching staffs are completely different... Zimmer is not chilly. Wilhoite is not Willis. Glenn Dorsey is not Aldon Smith. 2015-16 is not the past.
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"