Vikings look to spread things out

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings look to spread things out

Post by Mothman »

From ESPN's Ben Goessling:

With Adrian Peterson on the field, Vikings look to spread things out
"I think the things we're doing out of the shotgun, he's very comfortable with, and getting more comfortable," Turner said. "We're going to give him a good dose of the things he does best and has done best his entire career. We're going to try to spread the field a little bit and do some things to give him more space."

That's one of the things, to me, that will be most interesting to watch about Peterson in the Vikings' revamped offense.
We won't see it until opening night in San Francisco, but make no mistake: The Vikings are likely to put the 30-year-old running back in a different situation than he's been in his entire career. It will be fascinating to see how it works.
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Vikings look to spread things out

Post by jackal »

I watched Norv's Chargers and I always loved his offense.

He segments the field from scrimage(sp) to thirty yards and then breaks it down into
right, center, and left boxes.

If teams try and play the run and short he exploits slants and go routes ...i.e. Wallace and Johnson

if teams counter that he will draw them back with the run game and screen passes.

IMO the thing I noticed the most from last year is the downfield blocking. You see wide outs
running backs and OL breaking into the second level to block for Wright, Diggs, Asiata to get and extra
5-10 yards. With Peterson, McKinnon, and Asiata all being able to bring the wood to defenders..
This could be very fun indeed.... :smilevike:
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:From ESPN's Ben Goessling:
I'm not surprised that the Vikings are spreading things out or that we won't really see this until the regular season. Teams seldom give away much during preseason games.

Two things:

1) A weapon like AD in the backfield could really make defending a spread offense more difficult. Or any offense, for that matter.

2) Will the Vikings actually have a #1 WR? Sounds to me as if the Vikes will be spreading the ball around a lot.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

losperros wrote:2) Will the Vikings actually have a #1 WR? Sounds to me as if the Vikes will be spreading the ball around a lot.
I suppose it depends on the definition of "#1 WR" but I envision Charles Johnson having the most receptions. Wallace may have more yards and a higher YPC. Rudolph may have the most receiving TDs. Here's how I see the order shaking out at year's end in terms of receptions:

Charles Johnson
Mike Wallace
Kyle Rudolph
Jarius Wright
Cordarrelle Patterson
Adrian Peterson
Stefon Diggs/Adam Thielen
Jerick McKinnon

This could be way off (for example case could be made Wright may get more receptions than Rudolph as the full-time slot guy) but the way Teddy distributes the ball I don't think there's going to be a ton of separation from the top three in terms of receptions and yards. I'm fine not having a true #1 as long as the guys can create consistent separation and provide Teddy with open options.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:This could be way off (for example case could be made Wright may get more receptions than Rudolph as the full-time slot guy) but the way Teddy distributes the ball I don't think there's going to be a ton of separation from the top three in terms of receptions and yards. I'm fine not having a true #1 as long as the guys can create consistent separation and provide Teddy with open options.
Agreed. I'm not convinced the Vikings need a typical #1 WR anyway. What they need is to move the chains and score TDs.

If that means spreading the ball around, it works for me.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Honestly with Wallace, Johnson, and hopefully Patterson we have three decent sized guys who can fly down
the field. Wright, and McKinnon are also very fast. There is no NFL team that can match our speed. Not
to Mention Peterson to deal with.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Raiders destroyed a franchise worrying about measurables.
Patriots built a franchise ignoring them.

Maybe we can find a middle ground?

Fans have been yelling to get an OC to change things up for over a decade, maybe we finally have the guy willing to give things a try? Or the personnel? Or BOTH? I'd like any of the above.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Norv always caught a lot of flak for his years as a head coach, but he's truly a great offensive mind. Very adaptive. With the personnel of this offense, spreading it out can definitely work.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote: I suppose it depends on the definition of "#1 WR" but I envision Charles Johnson having the most receptions. Wallace may have more yards and a higher YPC. Rudolph may have the most receiving TDs. Here's how I see the order shaking out at year's end in terms of receptions:

Charles Johnson
Mike Wallace
Kyle Rudolph
Jarius Wright
Cordarrelle Patterson
Adrian Peterson
Stefon Diggs/Adam Thielen
Jerick McKinnon

This could be way off (for example case could be made Wright may get more receptions than Rudolph as the full-time slot guy) but the way Teddy distributes the ball I don't think there's going to be a ton of separation from the top three in terms of receptions and yards. I'm fine not having a true #1 as long as the guys can create consistent separation and provide Teddy with open options.
Interesting.

Teddy seems to have some chemistry with Jarius Wright. I'm looking for a potential breakout year from Wright.

Right now, he's got no chemistry with Mike Wallace. Don't know what's going on there, but they're not on the same page, at least not in preseason games.

Which means about as much as me giving stock tips.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Realistically, I think Mike Wallace and Charles Johnson are WR1.5 types, if that makes any sense. They aren't Megatron/AJ Green/Dez Bryant types, but they are more dangerous than the typical WR2 type guys. Pair them up and let Teddy find the open guy and you have a recipe for success, but neither guy is the type of guy you throw to in double coverage.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Teddy seems to have some chemistry with Jarius Wright. I'm looking for a potential breakout year from Wright.
I am too. I really think he's going to thrive this season.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I am too. I really think he's going to thrive this season.
Agreed. In fact, I feel Wright has played well since he became a Viking. I think this year is going to be a big one for him.
J. Kapp 11 wrote:Which means about as much as me giving stock tips.
:lol: