Wide reciever trade

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Re: Wide reciever trade

Post by Jordysghost »

jackal wrote: I watched the Miami Hard Knocks and that staff is strange. The HC is a control freak who seems like he would be a better fit running an accounting firm than
coaching an NFL team. The team just didn't seem to listen to what the coaches were saying or respect them, at all.
That would be Philibin, Packers former OC. I never saw Philibin as a HC and it was kinda odd seeing him when he took over at Miami. Hes actually done a pretty decent job buildin what maybe could be a budding contender though, the Dolphins look like they have alot of talent imo, and I have always been a fan of Tannehill.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Wide reciever trade

Post by DK Sweets »

Norv Zimmer wrote:Yup, the 5th round compensation didn't mean jack when it comes to wallaces value. He didn't get along with the coaches or qb there, they wanted to get outta his contract while getting a draft pick for him
But if he was worth more than that, why didn't anybody else offer more?

My main point is this: WRs are valued so low that even very talented receivers like Wallace or Brandon Marshall can be moved for low compensation if they have any red flags. The other receivers may not have these same red flags, but they don't have the same level of talent, either. I think we could expect roughly the same value because both sides of the equation would balance out.

If we could get some real compensation, that would be great. It just doesn't seem like that is the way the league is trending right now.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

DK Sweets wrote:But if he was worth more than that, why didn't anybody else offer more?
I think some of it had to do with taking over a hefty contract but yeah your point stands, his market value was a 5th. It wasn't an exclusive trade between two teams, everyone can make an offer and it's highly unlikely you turn down a better deal unless it's from a division rival.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:I think some of it had to do with taking over a hefty contract but yeah your point stands, his market value was a 5th. It wasn't an exclusive trade between two teams, everyone can make an offer and it's highly unlikely you turn down a better deal unless it's from a division rival.
I think his contract had a LOT do with it. He's due to make almost $10 million this season. That inevitably impacted trade compensation.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

How about we trade CP, Robert Blanton and a 3rd for Cam Chancellor? Would anybody object?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote:How about we trade CP, Robert Blanton and a 3rd for Cam Chancellor? Would anybody object?
Two considerations: 1) he's the eighth-highest safety already and wants more money & as it stands has a contract approaching $17 the next three seasons 2) Harrison Smith needs a contract extension that will make him easily top-10 safety money. I can't imagine the Vikings tying that much cash into the position even if a Chancellor/Smith safety tandem would be pretty sick.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: Two considerations: 1) he's the eighth-highest safety already and wants more money & as it stands has a contract approaching $17 the next three seasons 2) Harrison Smith needs a contract extension that will make him easily top-10 safety money. I can't imagine the Vikings tying that much cash into the position even if a Chancellor/Smith safety tandem would be pretty sick.
Good considerations. I would point out that the vikings don't have to pay much for the QB the next few years, and LBs should be on rookie deals another couple years. Also, moving on from Loadholt/Greenway/Newman/Robison could save some coin.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

fiestavike wrote:How about we trade CP, Robert Blanton and a 3rd for Cam Chancellor? Would anybody object?
Just the Sea Hawks would object. Not even close enough trade value but I would love to see that happen!!
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

too much to give for Cam. We already need to pay Smith and if we have to pay Cam too
that would be a lot of money at one spot. Good tandem though
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Just because we got Wallace for a 5th doesn't really mean anything. He had 10 tds last year. The guy can obviously play. He was just a problem in Miami and didn't mesh with that offense so Spielman low balled them and gave up the least he possibly could. He knew Miami was desperate to get rid of him for cap reasons and the fact that they were rebuilding their WR corps. If he was a "good teammate" and had a QB that could get him the deep ball, he would have gone for much better than a 5th, I can just about guarantee that
I wonder if there was any off-record agreements with that trade, such as, "if Cooper, White, or Parker fall to you, you don't take them"
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Demi wrote: My point was the most talented receiver on this roster was just traded this offseason for a fifth round pick, our second best receiver was signed off the Browns practice squad three weeks into last season. If any team was interested they could have paid him peanuts at any point before that. And the reason he was signed, was how poorly another of our receivers played....none of these things points to any sort of market for all this talent and depth we supposedly have at the position.
good point. very good point.
that said, I am still optimistic, maybe just my pathetic purple goggles. And I think Diggs will be very very good.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

jackal wrote: I think the others are looking at more of a poker hand situation. Not what the cards actually are, but what the other player is believes they are.

I wouldn't be against a trade for a guy that we have three guys who are capable of starting ...

third round pick maybe ??
I think maybe you can make this argument for CJ, but not for Wallace. Wallace is a known quantity and you have to factor in attitude and effort into the overall package.