Project the Vikings Starting Offense/Defense in Week 1

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Project the Vikings Starting Offense/Defense in Week 1

Post by frosted »

Title says it all.

QB - Teddy Bridgewater
HB - Adrian Peterson
WR - Mike Wallace
WR - Charles Johnson
WR - Jarius Wright
TE - Kyle Rudolph
LT - Matt Kalil
LG - Brandon Fusco
C - John Sullivan
RG - Mike Harris
RT - T.J Clemmings

Seems like most spots on the starting offense are relatively easy to predict (right side of offensive line not withstanding). The defense has more spots up in the air (S, LB).

DE - Everson Griffen
DT - Linval Joseph
DT - Shariff Floyd
DE - Brian Robison
SLB - Anthony Barr
MLB - Eric Kendricks (surprise)
WLB - Gerald ... Greenway - Truth be told I think we'll see a lot of both of them.
CB - Xavier Rhodes
S - Harrison Smith
S - Robert Blanton
CB - Terrance Newman
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Project the Vikings Starting Offense/Defense in Week 1

Post by dead_poet »

My crack at it:

QB - Teddy Bridgewater
HB - Adrian Peterson
WR - Mike Wallace
WR - Charles Johnson
WR - Jarius Wright/Patterson -- With the receiver quality/flexibility I think there will be a situational rotation in three-wide sets, making no clear "#3" WR. Diggs will see playing time, too. I'll be very interested to see the target/reception count at the end of the season
TE - Kyle Rudolph
TE2 - MyCole Pruitt -- I think Turner likes his receiving capability and he'll get some chances in two-TE sets. I'm curious where Rhett fits in. Likely #3 TE/blocking
FB - Zach Line -- Turner just came out with some positive things about him so I think he makes the roster
LT - Matt Kalil
LG - Brandon Fusco
C - John Sullivan
RG - Mike Harris
RT - T.J Clemmings

If I wanted to play things "safe" I'd say move Harris to RT (where he's more ideally suited IMO), Fusco goes back to RG and the Vikings bring in Mathis at LG. However if Clemmings can hold his own at RT I think the above is the most likely outcome (also considering Mathis' reported asking price). I think the next couple of preseason games will be a huge in determining if they can trust him there and this combination. Man, it sucks to lose Phil.

DE - Everson Griffen
DT - Linval Joseph
DT - Shariff Floyd
DE - Brian Robison
SLB - Anthony Barr (assuming full health)
MLB (base) - Audie Cole
MLB (nickel) - Eric Kendricks -- I know I'm cheating here but I don't see Kendricks starting at MLB as a three-down player to start the season
WLB - Greenway - It will be interesting if he eventually gives way to impressive Hodges in certain situations but Greenway will start week 1
CB - Xavier Rhodes
S - Harrison Smith
S - Antone Exum -- I think the coaching staff likes his coverage and takeaway abilities. They have said recently they need someone else back there that can cover better than Blanton. At this point I'd say Blanton is still the incumbent but this has become a two-horse race (sorry Harris, Sendejo) and Exum still has a chance if he can make a few more plays while showing well in run support. It's unfortunate this situation hasn't resolved itself yet.
CB - Terrance Newman
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:My crack at it:

WR - Mike Wallace
WR - Charles Johnson
WR - Jarius Wright/Patterson -- With the receiver quality/flexibility I think there will be a situational rotation in three-wide sets, making no clear "#3" WR. Diggs will see playing time, too. I'll be very interested to see the target/reception count at the end of the season

S - Harrison Smith
S - Antone Exum -- I think the coaching staff likes his coverage and takeaway abilities. They have said recently they need someone else back there that can cover better than Blanton. At this point I'd say Blanton is still the incumbent but this has become a two-horse race (sorry Harris, Sendejo) and Exum still has a chance if he can make a few more plays while showing well in run support. It's unfortunate this situation hasn't resolved itself yet.
I agree with the WR position, DP. Actually, the list should probably include four WR starting spots, since Turner mentioned the team will occasionally do 4WR sets.

As for defense, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Exum becomes a starter. I love what I've seen from him so far in preseason ball.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Interesting decisions at TE, WR, and LB for sure.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi