T.J. Clemmings steps into big shoes on Vikings offensive lin

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: T.J. Clemmings steps into big shoes on Vikings offensive

Post by jackal »

I would imagine if he struggles they will use a tight end to chip on his side of the ball and screen
pass to relieve some pressure.

I hope that is needed very little. The Vikings have had decades of tough luck, I am hoping we get
get lucky and not loose, what could be, a great season.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Pretty interesting stuff.

One good point the author made ... Wobschall tends to overemphasize the positive. Since he's in PR, that's not surprising or even wrong. I'd say both Wobby's film study and Hasan's lengthy article are very interesting.
Just interesting, not "astounding"? ;)
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

jackal wrote:
Did you actually read the second line in which you quoted me ?

I don't know if that will be the case when teams Game plan for him or not ?? If he plays as well moving forward
in the regular season; as his ability demonstrated in the last preseason game..we didn't lose much.

If he can play as well against Tampa ..I don't think we lost a lot. The TD Catch I believe Thielen made; Clemmings stands up
McCoy straight up, one on one. McCoy I believe is a pro bowl guy or has been. I didn't say he was going to be as good, or
better than Loadholt. I just don't think he is going to be a lot less, either. If you don't agree with me that's fine; Unless
you are an expert, I don't think its your place, to judge my opinion.
Well first of all, this is a message board so everyones opinion is judged in some kind of way. And based on your claim regarding Patterson, it should be judged because as I stated in that thread, the judgement you were making clearly made no sense. Similar to this one. I think Clemmings is going to be a good player as a stated already in this thread. However, just because he stood up a pro bowler once or twice in a meaningless preseason game maybe shows a little promise but isn't the tell tale if he is going to pan out or not. I can just about guarantee that Matt Kalil has stood up some very good defensive ends since he was drafted but does that mean he is a good offensive tackle?? No.

These are preseason games that you are bringing up these outlandish assumptions in. Not legitimate games nor an entire season. I understand making assumptions during some of these games but yours were a bit over the top
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Well first of all, this is a message board so everyones opinion is judged in some kind of way. And based on your claim regarding Patterson, it should be judged because as I stated in that thread, the judgement you were making clearly made no sense. Similar to this one. I think Clemmings is going to be a good player as a stated already in this thread. However, just because he stood up a pro bowler once or twice in a meaningless preseason game maybe shows a little promise but isn't the tell tale if he is going to pan out or not. I can just about guarantee that Matt Kalil has stood up some very good defensive ends since he was drafted but does that mean he is a good offensive tackle?? No.

These are preseason games that you are bringing up these outlandish assumptions in. Not legitimate games nor an entire season. I understand making assumptions during some of these games but yours were a bit over the top
Is your argument so weak, you have to search multiple threads to support it ?

hmmmm :oops:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

jackal wrote: Is your argument so weak, you have to search multiple threads to support it ?

hmmmm :oops:
:lol: What are you talking about?? I specifically called you out regarding your outrageous claim regarding Patterson so I didn't go "searching multiple threads". It was this thread and the Patterson thread. Where are you even trying to get with this?? I have said I like Clemmings. I'm simply saying that you acted like him standing up McCoy makes him some great tackle when he did it in a meaningless preseason game and that we didnt lose much at RT AND that Patterson obviously didnt improve in the offseason because he only had 1 catch for 6 yards in a meaningless preseason game. Just say those two claims out loud to yourself and maybe you'll realize how ridiculous they actually sound.

How in gods name can you even come close to telling if Patterson improved in the offseason or not and if Clemmings is legit or not based on one preseason game?? ONE PRESEASON GAME!!! It's literally impossible. So if anyones argument is weak, it's easily yours because you have nothing to back these claims up with other than that TJ Clemmings stood up Gerald McCoy one time and Patterson had 1 catch for 6 yards so he obviously didnt improve. Yeah those sound real valid. Give me a break man!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

:lol: What are you talking about?? I specifically called you out regarding your outrageous claim regarding Patterson so I didn't go "searching multiple threads". It was this thread and the Patterson thread. Where are you even trying to get with this?? I have said I like Clemmings. I'm simply saying that you acted like him standing up McCoy makes him some great tackle when he did it in a meaningless preseason game and that we didnt lose much at RT AND that Patterson obviously didnt improve in the offseason because he only had 1 catch for 6 yards in a meaningless preseason game. Just say those two claims out loud to yourself and maybe you'll realize how ridiculous they actually sound.

How in gods name can you even come close to telling if Patterson improved in the offseason or not and if Clemmings is legit or not based on one preseason game?? ONE PRESEASON GAME!!! It's literally impossible. So if anyones argument is weak, it's easily yours because you have nothing to back these claims up with other than that TJ Clemmings stood up Gerald McCoy one time and Patterson had 1 catch for 6 yards so he obviously didnt improve. Yeah those sound real valid. Give me a break man!
Okay I am bored, Foes list +1
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

jackal wrote: Okay I am bored, Foes list +1
You have yet to defend your post in any way and that's what you come back with? Ok? :confused:
-Chazz Palminteri
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Darren Page @DarrenPage

Vikings starting RG and RT have a combined 26 competitive football games experienced at their respective positions at any level of football.
:gone:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote: :gone:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Really not worried at all about Mike Harris. I thought he played pretty well at RT last year and is going to be a solid RG. Clemmings is more concerning, especially with Bykowski now out, and no other reasonable backup plan evident.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Really not worried at all about Mike Harris. I thought he played pretty well at RT last year and is going to be a solid RG. Clemmings is more concerning, especially with Bykowski now out, and no other reasonable backup plan evident.
Going to trust Zimmer and company if it was a huge issue they would have brought in Mathis, I believe
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

jackal wrote: Going to trust Zimmer and company if it was a huge issue they would have brought in Mathis, I believe
I'm really hoping they bring in Mathis. it would give them a lot more options. He's still got something in the tank!!!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I'm really hoping they bring in Mathis. it would give them a lot more options. He's still got something in the tank!!!
I think he is Seattle right now or tomorrow.. I think Zimmer and Rick really are trying to avoid older FA's right now...

Mayock on Clemmings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmCaJRlJJFA
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

If we are going to sign a FA OL (probably unlikely at this point), I'd rather it be Jake Long than Evan Mathis. We could plug him in at RT and if Kalil were to go down he could play LT, where he's played the majority of his career. If it turns out that Yankey is our swing tackle ... we better hope that Clemmings and Kalil can play every snap.

There are few teams that are interested in Long, most recently the Giants who kicked the tires on him a few days ago. If we're going to sign him we probably need to do so sooner rather than later.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Pseudo Everything wrote:If we are going to sign a FA OL (probably unlikely at this point), I'd rather it be Jake Long than Evan Mathis. We could plug him in at RT and if Kalil were to go down he could play LT, where he's played the majority of his career. If it turns out that Yankey is our swing tackle ... we better hope that Clemmings and Kalil can play every snap.

There are few teams that are interested in Long, most recently the Giants who kicked the tires on him a few days ago. If we're going to sign him we probably need to do so sooner rather than later.
In the case of something like this, five preseason games is actually a blessing. I'm thinking that the organization wants to look hard at Clemmings these next two weeks to see how he progresses and how they feel that progression could translate into the regular season. If they like what they see, they stay with it. If not, then you can still go out and get a veteran. I don't think a Jake Long needs much time to adjust to schemes, but that one extra preseason/week of practice can get him a little bit of time getting re-acclimated with game speed. Again, I don't think he'd need a lot of time. And this could be something they're thinking about for just this one game against Oakland and if they decide to, could sign someone after tonight. We'll see, but the fact that this happened so early and they still have 3 preseason games left, I feel is to their benefit.