2015 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: 2015 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by S197 »

Cliff wrote: I get what you're saying ... but now pretend Smith was out all season and see how it looks. What about Smith and Rhodes and Newman playing only partially well with a tweaked knee? How'd the coverage look when Josh Robinson had to come into the field last Sunday?

I just don't buy that this was an offensive line coach problem. He's not the reason the offensive line is so thin ...
I don't think he's the only part of the problem, they clearly need an upgrade in personnel, but when has this line ever looked halfway decent? He's been here since 2011 and I really haven't seen much improvement to the line, especially with regards to pass blocking. If anything it has gotten worse.

I don't see this as a case of the baby getting thrown out with the bath water and even if it is, Sparano is likely still an upgrade anyway.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote:I don't think he's the only part of the problem, they clearly need an upgrade in personnel, but when has this line ever looked halfway decent? He's been here since 2011 and I really haven't seen much improvement to the line, especially with regards to pass blocking. If anything it has gotten worse.

I don't see this as a case of the baby getting thrown out with the bath water and even if it is, Sparano is likely still an upgrade anyway.
Yeah, my points were largely before all that had taken place. It's kind of moot now. I'm not sure if he was the problem enough to be fired but I agree, Sparano should do at least as well.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Vikings Sign CB Melvin White To Reserve/Future Contract
The Minnesota Vikings have signed CB Melvin White to a reserve/future contract. White was released by the Carolina Panthers on 9/3/15 with an injury settlement before joining the St. Louis Rams practice squad on 9/15/15, where he spent the 2015 campaign.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... 050f34b114
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

NFL: Vikings Block RB Coach Kirby Wilson from Taking Job with Browns, According to ESPN
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Funkytown wrote:NFL: Vikings Block RB Coach Kirby Wilson from Taking Job with Browns, According to ESPN
Hopefully they tell him to get to work on AD's blocking and run after the catch skills.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Demi wrote: Hopefully they tell him to get to work on AD's blocking and run after the catch skills.
I'm far more concerned with his fumbling issues. His blocking was much better at the end of the season, and his RAC was fine too.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@JosinaAnderson I’m told Kirby Wilson has officially signed with the #Browns to become their running game coordinator. He is leaving the #Vikings.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:
Is that good or bad? Is Eric Bienemy available?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Diggs and Kendricks make All Rookie Team 2015
http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap30000 ... ookie-team

I really like both of these kids, great job Ricky for drafting them :beerock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings plan to interview former Eagles OC Pat Shurmur
After the Minnesota Vikings lost running backs coach Kirby Wilson to the Cleveland Browns on Wednesday, they're moving quickly to look at another candidate for their offensive staff.

A league source said the Vikings plan to interview former Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur on Friday, after he was let go by the team this week. Shurmur also is in the running for a passing game coordinator job with the Rams, and the source said he could have interest from two other teams. The source said it was still undetermined whether Shurmur would be in the mix for a running backs coach job or another position on the Vikings' staff.

Shurmur has never been a running backs coach, and if he's got interest from other teams in higher-profile jobs, the Vikings might have a tough time luring him to Minnesota for a position coach job. Then again, head coach Mike Zimmer hired Tony Sparano -- a former head coach and offensive coordinator -- to be his offensive line coach. He said last week he anticipates offensive coordinator Norv Turner will return in 2016; assuming that's still true, it's unclear at this point what Shurmur's role on the offense would be. Still, the Vikings' interest in Shurmur is intriguing, and merits close attention in the next few days.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@eric_j_thompson Don't think that Pat Shurmur would coach RBs with the #Vikings, so maybe there's another opening coming?
I think Norv's job is safe unless he wants to go somewhere else.
@ArifHasanNFL If they get Shurmur (and keep Norv) that would be the fourth staff member w/ HC experience
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mike Zimmer and the island of misfit head coaches.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@nfltrade_rumors Vikings Hosted Former Rams RB Isaiah Pead For A Visit http://bit.ly/1lAfzNg
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote:
This season, Pead has been active for two games and ran for three yards on two carries (1.5 YPC) and lost a fumble. He has also totaled 63 kick return yards.
Wow, just who they need :confused: :spanking:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

http://thevikingage.com/2016/01/22/minn ... d-hopkins/

I guess I have to like him again :lol: . He played for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats which as a fan of the Toronto Argonauts is the equivalent of the Packers.

Sinkfield really came on last year in the CFL. Good speed and presented both a deep threat and can be used in trick plays and the like from in close. Can return kicks a bit as well. Consistency remains a slight issue (it wreaked a bit of havoc with my CFL fantasy team)