Theodore Bridgewater: Year One --> Year Two

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Theodore Bridgewater: Year One --> Year Two

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Guys, I've been doing some research, and currently am pooping my britches in anticipation
and excitement for Tedrick's growth and development from year one to year two, here's why-

Ted's Similarities between his rookie year with us & his freshman year at Louisville

Games:
College: 13
Pro:13
Comp%:
College: 64.5%
Pro: 64.4%
Total Passing Yards:
College: 2129
Pro: 2919
Yards Per Attempt:
College: 7.2yds
Pro: 7.3yds
Yards Per Completion:
College: 11.14yds
Pro: 11.27yds
TDs:
College: 14
Pro: 14
INTs:
College: 12
Pro: 12

Arguably, the leap from High School --> High level College Football is in a similar realm of difficulty as compared to the jump from High level College football --> the NFL

Using this reasoning, and using the remarkable similarities between Ted as a rook and Ted as a freshman, We can reasonably argue that using the jump [from Teddy's freshman year at Louisville --> His sophomore year at Louisville] can be a plausible guage for predicting his growth from his Rookie year --> Now.

Now granted there are some differences between Ted's sophomore year at Louisville, and his 2nd year with the Minnesota Vikings, namely:
He wasn't playing with the best RB in the world
He didn't have multiple outside threats as well as a Pro-Bowl MVP Tight-End
He did not have a potential top-5 Defense on the other side of the ball
He did not have the offensive-genius mind that is Norv Turner caring deeply for his development & improvement

Guys, Looking at Ted's 2nd & 3rd year at Louisville, we have reason to be extremely excited..
College:

Ted's improvements from his freshman year at Louisville:
Comp%:
Soph: 4% increase
Junior: 7% increase
Yards:
Soph: 1,800 yard increase
Junior: 1,800 yard increase
Yards Per Attempt:
Soph: 1.7 yard increase
Junior: 2.1 yard increase
Yards Per Completion:
Soph: 1.81 yard increase
Junior: 2 yard increase
TDs:
Soph: 13 more TDs
Junior: 17 more TDs
INTs:
Soph: 4 fewer INTs
Junior: 8 fewer INTs

Each and EVERY single year, Ted improved upon the prior year, with the biggest leap occuring from year one --> year two..
If you dive into analytics as well, his % vs pressures & blitzes, his 3rd down comp%, his 1st downs - between his rook & freshman year are remarkable aswell!

Lets hope he can continue his developmental trend with us!
BTW, heres his pro line:
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Theodore Bridgewater: Year One --> Year Two

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Here are, for your comparative pleasures, how some other QB's around the league stack from college ---> The NFL

Aaron Rodgers:

Russell Wilson:

Drew Brees:

Andrew Luck:
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

84BreaksAnkles wrote:Here are, for your comparative pleasures, how some other QB's around the league stack from college ---> The NFL

Aaron Rodgers:

Russell Wilson:

Drew Brees:

Andrew Luck:
Wow, you put a whole lot of work into your research. I must say I like it and the high prospects we have for TB :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Ted's NCAA career is not only comparable, but bests many of the above QB's..
Think about the adversity he faced when you compare his rookie season vs the Above QB's , Although it is comparable, and by no means is he outclassed by any of the above rookie years- sans Russell Wilson's... (Supporting cast)

4 Injuries to at-one-time-starting Offensive linemen..
No Adrian Peterson
Greg Jennings as your #1 recieving target for the majority of the year
No Kyle Rudolph for long stretches of the year
No year or two or three to sit back and learn from a good QB, or in some cases a Hall of Fame top-10-All-Time (Ahem,.... Aaron)
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"
Kidfozzy
Starter

Post by Kidfozzy »

After Teddy Bridgewater's sophomore year as a Cardinal, I knew he was destined for greatness in the NFL. I've never seen a college QB so instinctive and smart in the football field since Andrew Luck.

As a Vikings fan, ecstatic was an understatement the day we drafted him.

He would've been a top 5 overall draft pick if it was not for that lousy pro day when he wasn't wearing his gloves.

It's ultimately up to himself on how great he wants to be.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the stats. If I recall correctly, someone else pointed out Bridgewater's significant year-to-year improvement in college here a few months ago and it's definitely encouraging. If he can show that same kind of learning/improvement curve in the NFL we Vikes fans are in for a treat. :)
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote:Thanks for the stats. If I recall correctly, someone else pointed out Bridgewater's significant year-to-year improvement in college here a few months ago and it's definitely encouraging. If he can show that same kind of learning/improvement curve in the NFL we Vikes fans are in for a treat. :)
There is little reason in my mind that he won't continue to grow by leaps and bounds. The Vikes have their franchise QB IMO :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Rest at ease, for we KNOW we're not dealing with one of these...
TB outclasses these fools major

Blaine Gabbert:

Christian Ponder:

Geno Smith:
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Guys, for those of you wanting the vs. Pressure statistics...

Teddy Bridgewater, in his rookie year, had THE most accurate completion percentage against pressure - in THE ENTIRE NFL...

look how he COMPLETELY OUTCLASSES the rooks..
2014 Completion % vs. the Blitz: Rookies

20% MORE accurate than Derek Carr vs. the blitz....

Even the pros..
2014 Completion % vs. the Blitz:

Its the best completion % vs. pressure since Pro-Football Focus started keeping this stat in 2007, of ANY ROOKIE QB..
Last edited by 84BreaksAnkles on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

84BreaksAnkles wrote:Guys, for those of you wanting the vs. Pressure statistics...

Teddy Bridgewater, in his rookie year, had THE most accurate completion percentage against pressure - in THE ENTIRE NFL...

look how he COMPLETELY OUTCLASSES the rooks..
2014 Completion % vs. the Blitz: Rookies

20% MORE accurate than Derek Carr vs. the blitz....

Even the pros..
2014 Completion % vs. the Blitz:

Its the best completion % vs. pressure since Pro-Football Focus started keeping this stat in 2007, of ANY QB..

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

84BreaksAnkles wrote:Its the best completion % vs. pressure since Pro-Football Focus started keeping this stat in 2007, of ANY QB..
Thanks for all the stats. I wasn't sure how Acc% was defined so I looked it up and landed on this PFF page from about a year and a half ago. While there, I couldn't help noticing that Josh McCown was listed with an Acc% under pressure of 77%, which is obviously better than Bridgewater's 75.2%. Maybe I'm misreading something since the stats you posted specified completion % against the blitz and the stat for McCown just says "Under Pressure Acc%" but I thought I'd mention it since it seems to contradict the statement quoted above.

None of that is intended to take away from what Bridgewater accomplished, which is impressive.

I do have to say that although he has a 20% edge over than Carr in Acc% vs. the blitz, his sack % against the blitz was twice Carr's, so the latter has an advantage there.

Bridgewater has shown remarkable calm and self-control for such a young QB. He seems to have a "head for the game" and that's very encouraging.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Mothman wrote:Thanks for all the stats. I wasn't sure how Acc% was defined so I looked it up and landed on this PFF page from about a year and a half ago. While there, I couldn't help noticing that Josh McCown was listed with an Acc% under pressure of 77%, which is obviously better than Bridgewater's 75.2%. Maybe I'm misreading something since the stats you posted specified completion % against the blitz and the stat for McCown just says "Under Pressure Acc%" but I thought I'd mention it since it seems to contradict the statement quoted above.

None of that is intended to take away from what Bridgewater accomplished, which is impressive.

I do have to say that although he has a 20% edge over than Carr in Acc% vs. the blitz, his sack % against the blitz was twice Carr's, so the latter has an advantage there.

Bridgewater has shown remarkable calm and self-control for such a young QB. He seems to have a "head for the game" and that's very encouraging.
Sorry guys, you're right Moth, I edited the post to reflect the truth, which is that its the best % ever of any Rookie QB.

It's funny, you mention that Moth- because I went back and watched every sack of teddy's rookie year, and lets just say this...
I'm REALLY hoping our starting line can stay healthy..

Honestly most of our problems were back ups and a combination of Teddy being a rook, and not having much to work with (No kyle, Jennings and Wright as your main WRs not getting open).. etc

Teddy should be able to start slowing the game down in his mind a bit, and I have no doubt that our WR's should be getting more open this year, not to mention teams will get burnt on blitzes by Adrian, and Kyle will provide a nice mismatch in most situations..
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Don't poop your pants son!!!! :D
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

84BreaksAnkles wrote:Sorry guys, you're right Moth, I edited the post to reflect the truth, which is that its the best % ever of any Rookie QB.

It's funny, you mention that Moth- because I went back and watched every sack of teddy's rookie year, and lets just say this...
I'm REALLY hoping our starting line can stay healthy..

Honestly most of our problems were back ups and a combination of Teddy being a rook, and not having much to work with (No kyle, Jennings and Wright as your main WRs not getting open).. etc

Teddy should be able to start slowing the game down in his mind a bit, and I have no doubt that our WR's should be getting more open this year, not to mention teams will get burnt on blitzes by Adrian, and Kyle will provide a nice mismatch in most situations..

I hope it works out that way. If the roster stays healthy, the offense really should be very productive.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

@ArifHasanNFL - Wallace beats Rhodes on a streak. Phenomenally placed ball by Teddy deep for a TD. Rhodes had good position. 2h
I'm wondering how his deep-ball development is coming with all the new speed. If Norv gets to the point where he can trust him and take 2-4 shots a game, man I might shed a tear.
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"