Theodore Bridgewater: Year One --> Year Two

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Theodore Bridgewater: Year One --> Year Two

Post by Mothman »

84BreaksAnkles wrote:Cliff, you may have misunderstood my question.
It was name one single quarterback who has thrown over 70% for four games in a row. Not an average of 4 games.

Both Brett and Daunte only had 3 games in a row over 70% .

So I'll continue to wait.
... and I'll continue to wonder how that question is relevant to a discussion about 3 plays in a preseason game during which Bridgewater supposedly did something no Vikings quarterback in the past 30 years could have done. :confused:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:No, he is. He's

:rofl: The pink unicorn shirt takes that from funny to hilarious.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Mothman wrote: ... and I'll continue to wonder how that question is relevant to a discussion about 3 plays in a preseason game during which Bridgewater supposedly did something no Vikings quarterback in the past 30 years could have done. :confused:
It directly regards the discussion Jim. In the following ways.

You vehemently have established your view that what Ted's doing, and has been doing, is not quite on the level of sorcery- That plenty of other quarterbacks the Vikings have had in the last 30 years are capable of doing the same (Even though you know that isn't quite what the context of the original comment was made in)- and that it's nothing to get so worked up about. You proceeded to name; the Christian Ponders of the world, the Jeff Georges of the world, the Gus Frrerrrorrets of the world, the Tommy Kramers of the world.. etc.

I then, in rebuttal, tried to provide a statistic which illustrated just how deprived we as Viking's fans had been in the last 3 decades, from the level of play that Tedrick is providing. Thus the 70% over 4 games in a row statistic.

This directly presents an impressive statistic for a rookie let alone any other QB in the league, and that indeed no other Viking's quarterback has equalled the mark. Which I was trying to use to illustrate, that hey Jim, maybe this kid is actually doing remarkable things that WE (as Viking's Nation) have not seen.. for 30 years.

So I would argue that it has everything to do with the discussion, and that Ted, although not on the level of the white council, amongst the likes of Curunir and Mithrandir,is actually dabbling in the arts of sorcery.
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Theodore Bridgewater: Year One --> Year Two

Post by DK Sweets »

Apples and oranges, bro.

The passes he made were really nice. Still, other players could (and have) made similar throws. It's not taking away from Teddy, it's just not allowing somebody to overstate something.

The consistency is awesome. At the same time, you have to appreciate that the game is played differently now than it was even ten years ago. For instance, press coverage is played differently now than it was before 2005. Offenses are more reliant on spread and shotgun formations than they were in those times. It's very different situation, and these stats don't tell the whole story of how well a player performed.

All in all, I feel pretty confident that we have a very good young QB right now, but lets it overstate what he is based on what we think he will be.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

84BreaksAnkles wrote:It directly regards the discussion Jim. In the following ways.

You vehemently have established your view that what Ted's doing, and has been doing, is not quite on the level of sorcery- That plenty of other quarterbacks the Vikings have had in the last 30 years are capable of doing the same (Even though you know that isn't quite what the context of the original comment was made in)- and that it's nothing to get so worked up about. You proceeded to name; the Christian Ponders of the world, the Jeff Georges of the world, the Gus Frrerrrorrets of the world, the Tommy Kramers of the world.. etc.
I was posting specifically in reference to what Bridgewater did on 3 particular plays in the Vikes/Raiders game on Saturday so I was actually confining myself rather strictly to the context of the original comment that those plays supposedly "couldn't have been made by any Vikings QB in the last 30 years".
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I'm much more interested in seeing Teddy complete 70 percent of his passes with a much larger sample size in real games. Then I'll be impressed. Don't get me wrong, I want as badly to shove Teddy Bridgewater and our franchise quarterback's passing prowess in every Rodgers worshiper's face as much as the next guy that bleeds purple & gold but this is still preseason. Sean Renfree currently holds a 76.2% completion percentage on seven fewer throws. Tannehill is 18/22 with 2 TDs and no picks. Even though not every interception last season was Teddy's "fault" he also had more than I think everybody would like in that area as well. Get back to me in week 10. I'll either be at the front quarter of the Teddy bandwagon drunk off my #### off Jager bombs or still hanging back on my mule sipping hard cider out of a teacup.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I'm much more interested in seeing Teddy complete 70 percent of his passes with a much larger sample size in real games. Then I'll be impressed. Don't get me wrong, I want as badly to shove Teddy Bridgewater and our franchise quarterback's passing prowess in every Rodgers worshiper's face as much as the next guy that bleeds purple & gold but this is still preseason. Sean Renfree currently holds a 76.2% completion percentage on seven fewer throws. Tannehill is 18/22 with 2 TDs and no picks. Even though not every interception last season was Teddy's "fault" he also had more than I think everybody would like in that area as well. Get back to me in week 10. I'll either be at the front quarter of the Teddy bandwagon drunk off my #### off Jager bombs or still hanging back on my mule sipping hard cider out of a teacup.
You drink hard cider out of a teacup while riding a mule?! I knew I liked you! :)
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

The 70% completion over 4 games was over last year in the regular season. *Just so everyone knows I'm not referring to the preseason in reference to the "stat"
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

84BreaksAnkles wrote:The 70% completion over 4 games was over last year in the regular season. *Just so everyone knows I'm not referring to the preseason in reference to the "stat"
Thanks for the clarification. Let's hope he can keep that up. I'd be quite OK with Teddy having the highest completion percentage of any QB this year.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

dead_poet wrote: Thanks for the clarification. Let's hope he can keep that up. I'd be quite OK with Teddy having the highest completion percentage of any QB this year.

If Bridgewater has the highest completion percentage of any QB in 2015, it would not just be OK. He'd be talked with the likes of the better QBs in the NFL, and separate himself from the 2014 QB rookie class(Bortles, Manziel and Carr).

It seems no matter how well Teddy Bridgewater performed as a rookie or 2015 pre-season games, there are plenty on VMB who nitpick his stats and play.
Mothman wrote:
He's a good player. I really liked his game coming out of college and he had a pretty solid rookie season.
If some believe Derek Carr was pretty solid as a rookie, then how good was Teddy?

Also, who was the better QB, Carr or Teddy?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Teddy through 14 passes and 11 of them were caught .. IMO Wallace should have caught his and Rudolf got his hands
on one but it was pretty high(so 12-14) 1 touchdown. IMO Teddy is a little stronger and more accurate. I would not take Carr over Teddy without
Mack thrown in the mix. I think in the Long run Teddy is an ALL PRO QB, maybe more.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

According to the Madden '15 game (which I assume is the ultimate authority in these matters), Bridgewater gets the edge over Carr:

http://madden-player-ratings.pointafter ... Derek-Carr
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Mothman wrote:According to the Madden '15 game (which I assume is the ultimate authority in these matters), Bridgewater gets the edge over Carr:

http://madden-player-ratings.pointafter ... Derek-Carr
Insult us Maddenites again and I'll have your knees.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DK Sweets wrote:Insult us Maddenites again and I'll have your knees.
That wasn't an insult! :)