Preseason Week 1- Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Minnesota Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Re: Preseason Week 1- Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Minnesota Viki

Post by John_Viveiros »

DK Sweets wrote:I double checked every post in this thread and nobody has said he is a bust. One person said they thought he would be a bust and tonight he looked poor, but literally nobody said he is a bust.

Many people mentioned he had some rough plays. This is a fair criticism. Mike defended Waynes on the PI call (I will respectfully disagree with his analysis; I thought it was close and the ref could have kept the flag in his pocket, but I thought it was a fair call) and many have said they still expect him to improve greatly.
I have a different perspective than most, I guess. I thought he was a tantalizing pick that probably would bust - it just happens that way a lot when speed is the #1 (named) criteria for drafting a player. But after watching the game, I have a better feeling about the pick. Yes, he was victimized, but he's going to learn from those experiences. I was really impressed with his closing speed. He doesn't seem to stay beat. And it was a pretty veteran move to make a quick grab of the arm on the play he was called for PI. I don't know if I've ever seen that called before when it was so subtle. I'm sure we can all remember times when a Vikings receiver was manhandled without getting the call, too.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I have a different perspective than most, I guess. I thought he was a tantalizing pick that probably would bust - it just happens that way a lot when speed is the #1 (named) criteria for drafting a player. But after watching the game, I have a better feeling about the pick. Yes, he was victimized, but he's going to learn from those experiences. I was really impressed with his closing speed. He doesn't seem to stay beat. And it was a pretty veteran move to make a quick grab of the arm on the play he was called for PI. I don't know if I've ever seen that called before when it was so subtle. I'm sure we can all remember times when a Vikings receiver was manhandled without getting the call, too.
I honestly thought, Waynes only really got beat badly on one play, and recovered pretty quickly. Rhodes struggled at first, as well. I think once he learned how to use his
body, and not grab I think he will be a good corner, maybe great.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Waynes gonna be the goods.

Can't believe some of ya'll have your mind set after one preseason game. Think about that.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Waynes gonna be the goods.

Can't believe some of ya'll have your mind set after one preseason game. Think about that.

I haven't seen evidence of anyone having their mind set. As is common with a first pre-season game (in this case, pre-pre-season), folks are focused on our draft picks' performances, and Waynes' wasn't good. Instead of rushed conclusions, I mostly see a lot of recognition here that CB is a position that takes some time to transition to the NFL. I also get the sense that a lot of people trust in Zimmer to mold players, especially DBs, and that letting Waynes get burned and having him learn from it in a meaningless game is just part of the process.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Texas Vike wrote:
I haven't seen evidence of anyone having their mind set. As is common with a first pre-season game (in this case, pre-pre-season), folks are focused on our draft picks' performances, and Waynes' wasn't good. Instead of rushed conclusions, I mostly see a lot of recognition here that CB is a position that takes some time to transition to the NFL. I also get the sense that a lot of people trust in Zimmer to mold players, especially DBs, and that letting Waynes get burned and having him learn from it in a meaningless game is just part of the process.
I agree completely with this. I'm actually seeing a lot of more people with their mind set that he's going to be really good and they are the ones making sweeping statements about anybody who doesn't explicitly say that they agree that Waynes was a great pick.

Can we have a little bit of middle ground here, please?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

With Waynes, you want to see instantly why he was the #1 overall pick, with a HC that knows DBs as well as anyone. I havent seen many positive things. I expected too. He still could turn into a Rhodes. Or he could be a Robinson. He was not who I wanted at all, nor do I think he was the best corner when we picked. I hope I am wrong and he becomes a stud.