Why will the Vikings be better in 2015?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

In the "Other Shoe" thread, our good pal J. Kapp 11 wrote "Every indication is that the Vikings will be a much improved team this year" and since that seems to be a popular viewpoint in an optimistic summer for most Vikes fans, I'm wondering:

A.) Do you agree that the Vikes will be a much-improved team in 2015?
B.) If so, why will they be better (or, if not, why won't they be better)?

GO! :)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Why will the Vikings be better in 2015?

Post by dead_poet »

A) Yes
B) Because Kapp said it, and so it must be.

B) (supplemental): I think it comes down to a host of reasons:

1) Teddy's second year = more experience after progressing steadily in Year 1
2) Offense's familiarity with Norv Turner's scheme. Learning a new offense isn't easy and doesn't always "click" right away, especially one as reportedly complex as Turner's. Second year in the same system should be seen as a positive.
3) AD IS BACK (how is this #3? Because these are not listed in order of importance, ya jerks)
4) Second year with Zimmer. We've seen how well the defense has responded last year, we've already heard from know-nothing reporters but also coaches how the players are "well ahead" of where they were last year with the system and are "playing faster." Joseph and Floyd, in particular, seem to be doing better (one with a fully-healed leg after getting shot, which usually hampers performance to certain degrees). Renewed emphasis on stopping the run. Joseph was turning it on in particular towards the end of last year and reports are that he's doing very well in camp. Expect the rush defense to be better (maybe not a dramatic difference, but better, especially with better LB play as well with the addition of Kendricks and more disciplined Hodges).
5) Addressed some weaknesses. WR seems to be particularly deep. LB talent has improved. Barr is healthy. There are still holes (ahemLTahem) but the talent pool as a whole on both sides of the ball seems to be better
6) Rudolph is healthy
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

^agree^
Formerly AADPFan
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Yes I think they will be much improved.
1. AD is back, coupled with a much improved passer and passing game he is in line to have a crazy good season.
2. The defense is going to be much improved over a already improved season last year. I am thinking/hoping top 5 defense.
3. Players that were not healthy last year are this year. Kalil, rudolph, joseph.
4. Because I say so!
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Yes, I believe they will be better.
1. Adrian is back. It's a huge lift both for the running game and I think it will open up the passing game a bit more and also helps the offensive line a bit.
2. Our offensive line wasn't great last year and we had a fair amount of injuries. They SHOULD be at least better this year, but unless there is absolutely a rash of injuries, I don't think they can be worse.
3. Lots of young guys on this team that should have a higher amount of growth possibilities than an older team has. We have a few old guys, but I think there is more growth than decline on this team right now.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm overall positive on the team.

Here are my potential concerns:

1.) Sophmore Slump by Teddy - this happens a lot- He might have a year under his belt, but opposing DC's have a full season of tape on him now also
2.) Wallace doesn't have the best locker room history, what if that haunts us?
3.) OL is basically same as last year with a healthy Fusco. Does moving him to LG really help Kalil? What does it do to Loadholt who has history of being only OK in pass protection?
4.) Waynes could take a solid half season to grasp the game
5.) Schedule is very challenging

I think we'll improve, but I do not expect a deep playoff run unless #1 and #3 turn into non-issues. That being said, I suspect AP is going to deliver a huge season and that could be enough to get us into NFCCG. Russell Wilson is not a fantastic QB and Seattle won the NFC last year. We have all the pieces to replicate their formula of defense and power running.

My indicator remains GB. If we split with them or sweep them then anything is possible. If we lose both games I suspect at early exit.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:A) Yes
B) Because Kapp said it, and so it must be.

B) (supplemental): I think it comes down to a host of reasons:

1) Teddy's second year = more experience after progressing steadily in Year 1
2) Offense's familiarity with Norv Turner's scheme. Learning a new offense isn't easy and doesn't always "click" right away, especially one as reportedly complex as Turner's. Second year in the same system should be seen as a positive.
3) AD IS BACK (how is this #3? Because these are not listed in order of importance, ya jerks)
Jerks?! Hey, you're the one who chose to number your reasons...
4) Second year with Zimmer. We've seen how well the defense has responded last year, we've already heard from know-nothing reporters but also coaches how the players are "well ahead" of where they were last year with the system and are "playing faster."
I see what you did there. :)
Joseph and Floyd, in particular, seem to be doing better (one with a fully-healed leg after getting shot, which usually hampers performance to certain degrees). Renewed emphasis on stopping the run. Joseph was turning it on in particular towards the end of last year and reports are that he's doing very well in camp. Expect the rush defense to be better (maybe not a dramatic difference, but better, especially with better LB play as well with the addition of Kendricks and more disciplined Hodges).
5) Addressed some weaknesses. WR seems to be particularly deep. LB talent has improved. Barr is healthy. There are still holes (ahemLTahem) but the talent pool as a whole on both sides of the ball seems to be better
6) Rudolph is healthy
Good list. If the team is, indeed, much improved I think increased familiarity with the systems could be a big reason for it. I definitely see Peterson's presence as reason for optimism.

I don't believe getting shot hampers performance. I think you just made that up.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

A) Yes, they will be better.
B) Why?

1) Peterson being back will help open the Defense for Teddy to throw the ball. However, as good as Teddy gets it will be lost on most because Peterson is back. So Teddy won't get credit for it. Which is fine with me.

2) The defense. The defensive will be better than last year. Now, I am not saying in yards, which I could care less about. But in points per game given up. That is were teams win. When a defense can hold the other teams to under 18 ppg a team has an 80% of winning. Last year, the first under Zimmer, they went from 30 ppg to 21.6 ppg. All they need to do is 3 more points per game. Think about it, last year the Vikings lost 4 games by 3 points or less. Those 4 games were the difference in being in the playoffs and the players know it.

3) The Vikings WR's are fast. Thielen is the slowest at 4.5 40. Teams will have to respect the speed, plus account for Peterson out of the backfield. The first few games I expect teams to prove Teddy can beat them by putting 8 in the box. I think he will.

4) Mckinnon will get more touches than most people think. And he is deceptive. 4.41 in the 40. Has good stop start. It will be interesting to see if they ever put him and Peterson in the backfield together.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:I'm overall positive on the team.

Here are my potential concerns:

1.) Sophmore Slump by Teddy - this happens a lot- He might have a year under his belt, but opposing DC's have a full season of tape on him now also
2.) Wallace doesn't have the best locker room history, what if that haunts us?
3.) OL is basically same as last year with a healthy Fusco. Does moving him to LG really help Kalil? What does it do to Loadholt who has history of being only OK in pass protection?
4.) Waynes could take a solid half season to grasp the game
5.) Schedule is very challenging

I think we'll improve, but I do not expect a deep playoff run unless #1 and #3 turn into non-issues. That being said, I suspect AP is going to deliver a huge season and that could be enough to get us into NFCCG. Russell Wilson is not a fantastic QB and Seattle won the NFC last year. We have all the pieces to replicate their formula of defense and power running.

My indicator remains GB. If we split with them or sweep them then anything is possible. If we lose both games I suspect at early exit.
GB is definitely a good indicator since they've been dominating the division, and have been the Vikes bane, for years now. I also think the divisional games as a whole will be a good indicator since the Vikes did so poorly in intra-division games last season.

There have been some good responses so far! I'm guessing the vast majority of Vikes fans will agree that Peterson's return should be a boost for the team and provides reason for optimism. That seems to be the case in this thread so far. I'm glad you chose to post your concerns because I like looking at both sides of this "coin". That's probably because I'm on the fence about what kind of season to expect. If the Vikes stay healthy, I think that alone would be good reason to expect improvement but there's no way to know how that will go. Aside from good luck and good health, my 3 biggest reasons to believe the team will be better are:

— Peterson's return
— Increased familiarity with the systems
— Assumed growth/improvement from second and third year Vikings

On the other hand, my 3 biggest concerns are:

— Continued growing pains from Bridgewater (which I honestly expect to see)
— Problems blocking, mainly in pass protection
— Continued problems stopping the run

It doesn't seem like they did much to address the latter two concerns this offseason so it looks to me like they're counting on good health and improvement from within.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Mothman, I like your points but I am optimistic about stoppING the run, I think with a more athletic defense aka hunter,kendricks,hodges and our defensive tackles playing at a higher level will definitely help with the run.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Norv Zimmer wrote:Mothman, I like your points but I am optimistic about stoppING the run, I think with a more athletic defense aka hunter,kendricks,hodges and our defensive tackles playing at a higher level will definitely help with the run.
Kendricks, Hodges and Hunter are all good athletes but none of them are currently listed as starters. That could obviously change before the season begins but at this point, it's not clear how much they'll contribute. I assume the first two will play quite a bit but I'm not sure about Hunter.

I like your optimism and IF the defensive tackles play at a higher level, that will obviously help. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think it's going to depend heavily on improved play up front. Hopefully, we'll see that.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Well, basically everything I wanted to say was covered by DP. The only thing I have left to say is something I've been drumming since last year, but I don't think it can be overstated: this team's biggest strength could be continuity. The only players worth mentioning that we lost were Matt Cassel, Charlie Johnson, Greg Jennings, and Jerome Felton. It can be argued that the replacements for Cassel, Jennings, and Johnson are at least as good. If losing Felton, who was a good player but a poor fit in this offense, is our biggest concern, we are doing great.

Additionally, we have a slew of young players who are still coming up. Teddy and basically every receiver should be one year better (there will be growing pains, but generally speaking, they should be better). Floyd, Barr, Hodges, Rhodes, and Smith are still improving. We've added young talent all along the roster, and particularly the defense.

If we can avoid injuries, we could end up having a boost just from having players like Fusco, Loadholt, and Rudolph back.

As other have mentioned, our players now have a year of familiarity in the schemes they are being asked to execute.

Our roster looks to be improved in nearly every area, but I think the biggest aspect is how comfortable this team should be with the schemes and the guys playing next to them. In my opinion, that is an immensely valuable asset.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Question A Yes
however are schedule is more difficult this year. So will it be good enough to win enough games
to make the playoffs...I believe yes

Question B

1. Our defense has another year to learn the Zimmer system. Teams almost always do better with
more time to learn a system.

2. our wide out group will be better. Jennings was consistent but not a good deep threat. According
to Zimmer and company Patterson has gotten better. Johnson and Wallace will not both be double covered
or have help shifted towards them with Peterson on the field.

3. Peterson: Teams have failed to stop him with 9 in the box. Teddy with have a field day with this
group if they try that. Teddy is already ten times the QB Ponder was IMO.

4. Our LB group is better and I believe Newman will really help solidify the Secondary

5. Either Exum, Blanton, or Harris will finally give Smith some real help.

6. Floyd and Rhodes should be coming into their own more this season.

7. Our OL will not be great but will be better than last season. Last year we did lose
the majority of our OL starters ...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Just some quick notes.

From what I've read in TC, Joseph has looked like a different player this year. Say what you want Moth, getting shot is not a good thing. :)

Not too concerned with the sophomore slump for Teddy. We were hearing about a end of season slump that rookie QBs go through. All he did was get better.

I am concerned with playing in TCF Bank Stadium. IMO, there is no home field advantage whatsoever playing there. It looks good on TV but it feels like an exhibition game . I sure hope they design the new stadium to channel crowd noise like how it is in SEA.

I'm also concerned with the #2 QB.
I think they'll be much better for the same reasons as others:
Fusco healthy, Charlie gone.
Deeper DL.
Deeper LB
Deeper WR
Coaching staff knowing their players better on what they can and can't do.

But the biggest reason has to be Peterson. He's a game changer. I compare him to defending Shaq (in his prime). Your whole defensive strategy has to change.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

808vikingsfan wrote:From what I've read in TC, Joseph has looked like a different player this year. Say what you want Moth, getting shot is not a good thing. :)
I don't have any first hand experience, but I have heard that being shot is bad for you and have spent most of my life trying to avoid being shot myself.