Wal$h extended

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Wal$h extended

Post by PurpleMustReign »

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/07/2 ... -14m-deal/

Good move, I think. I hope he can work on his longer kicks... after his unreal rookie year he has struggled with them.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Wal$h extended

Post by DK Sweets »

I'm glad to have him locked up. When he's good, he's great.
DavidKarki
Veteran

Post by DavidKarki »

PurpleMustReign wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/07/2 ... -14m-deal/

Good move, I think. I hope he can work on his longer kicks... after his unreal rookie year he has struggled with them.

The long slice kick (50+ yards from left hash) has been his bugaboo. And he'll be back indoors at home next year (barring a strong NW wind blowing in through the 5 giant glass doors at US Bank), where he was absolute money. Walsh was going to be a free agent next spring, so smart to lock him up.

The main thing is to score TDs and get out of the standing conservative mentality of protecting the FG attempt at all costs the instant the offense crosses the opponent's 40-yard line. All too often, it helped ensure exactly that was outcome – a veritable self-fulfilling prophecy.
--Dave
GO VIKINGS!!!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Great re-sign :v):
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Well, now I am more thn a little nervous here... He was embarrassing tonight. Really, he hasn't been very good this preseason. The game in Canton, even his makes were just barely in.
What is next for him? They can't afford to be too cute here...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Well, now I am more thn a little nervous here... He was embarrassing tonight. Really, he hasn't been very good this preseason. The game in Canton, even his makes were just barely in.
What is next for him? They can't afford to be too cute here...
I've seen kickers bounce back from worse slumps then this, regular season no less.

I think you gotta be patient and let Walsh find his groove. Hes a fantastic kicker when he's on.
Last edited by Jordysghost on Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Maybe he should stop kicking PATs from the left hash mark. I'm assuming he does this because his ball has a natural right draw but maybe it's exacerbating that draw. Put it in the center of the field and make him kick it straight.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

S197 wrote:Maybe he should stop kicking PATs from the left hash mark. I'm assuming he does this because his ball has a natural right draw but maybe it's exacerbating that draw. Put it in the center of the field and make him kick it straight.
Ok, then what do we do about his FGs? I am more concerned with those...
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Ok, then what do we do about his FGs? I am more concerned with those...
I think you bring in competition. Let him know his job isnt secure. This started last year. I hated this contract extension. I was based on his first year. He hasnt been the same. Competition might be the perfect way to get him out of this slump to become a good FG kicker. Maybe not like his rookie year, but good. I dont really want a kicker who can only kick in a dome either. I think its serious enough to take up a roster spot. Would have to hope it wouldnt be too long, but who knows.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Don't panic.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

fiestavike wrote:Don't panic.
I agree. But lets find a kicker asap, before we do have to panic. These 'mental' problems may effect Walsh for a lot long then any of us can imagine.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: I agree. But lets find a kicker asap, before we do have to panic. These 'mental' problems may effect Walsh for a lot long then any of us can imagine.
If it comes down to it, scrap him and sign another kicker. Until that point, lets be patient and see if he can get back on track.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

S197 wrote:Maybe he should stop kicking PATs from the left hash mark. I'm assuming he does this because his ball has a natural right draw but maybe it's exacerbating that draw. Put it in the center of the field and make him kick it straight.
That drives me crazy. I wonder what the stats are but it seems like the center or right hash would be much better angles for a right footed kicker.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I dont think it's coincidence that Walsh did so well while the team was indoors. I don't think he's good at adjusting to weather conditions.

Sent using tapatalk. Typos should be expected.
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

Not saying this is going to happen but look at Mason Crosby, he was atrocious for a little bit of that one year, they stuck with him even when he was in his own head and I think its payed off for the Pack. I think you gotta stick with Blair because hes proven he can be a pro bowl kicker.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.