Training Camp Master Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Training Camp Master Thread

Post by fiestavike »

mosscarter wrote:that is what i'm saying. barr has been nothing but injury prone up until this point in his career. saying that he "doesn't want to rush it" might look okay on the surface, but when you've been having nagging injuries for well over half a year can't be good. i hope for the best with him, but i wouldn't be surprised if he misses even more time. we are talking about knee problems on different knees within 7 months.
Worthy of note that I heard Pat Kirwan discussing converted stand up linebackers and said that injury concerns are a big deal because they haven't learned how to protect their knees, and that knee injury is common with them. I heard this at least a couple weeks ago and mentioned it in another thread. It could be relevant to Anthony Barr.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Training Camp Master Thread

Post by DK Sweets »

fiestavike wrote: Worthy of note that I heard Pat Kirwan discussing converted stand up linebackers and said that injury concerns are a big deal because they haven't learned how to protect their knees, and that knee injury is common with them. I heard this at least a couple weeks ago and mentioned it in another thread. It could be relevant to Anthony Barr.
I remember that post. I wonder if the fact that he started as a RB mitigates this to an extent and, if not, how long it might take for him to learn. My guess would be he learns quickly with sore knees.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

fiestavike wrote:Worthy of note that I heard Pat Kirwan discussing converted stand up linebackers and said that injury concerns are a big deal because they haven't learned how to protect their knees, and that knee injury is common with them. I heard this at least a couple weeks ago and mentioned it in another thread. It could be relevant to Anthony Barr.
Just curious ... did Kirwan list any examples to support his theory?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pseudo Everything wrote: Just curious ... did Kirwan list any examples to support his theory?
Not that I recall. He just said a lot of guys that play DE and convert to stand up LB are prone to knee injuries.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

8/11 presser notes:

Priefer
‏@ArifHasanNFL Priefer: I don't like the one kickoff coverage we had, but I thought Danielle Hunter stodd out athletically
@Luke_Spinman Prefier on who impressed on ST coverage: "D Hunter impressed me it seems like he covers ten yards with two steps"
@ArifHasanNFL Priefer: Diggs' return was a really well blocked play and he made a great move at POA, plus a cut later
@Luke_Spinman Priefer on Diggs returning punts "I need to see him do it more I'm sure zimmer wants to see that as well in other conditions"
‏@Luke_Spinman Prifer "I think going forward we'd like to mix in Diggs with the starters moving forward"
-- And Marcus Sherels' seat gets a little warmer
@Luke_Spinman Priefer said Edmund Robinson was another guy that impressed him on ST with his ability to shed blocks etc but Priefer said Robinson had to recover from "biggest sin": falling on ground.
@ArifHasanNFL Priefer said Walsh miss was on him, not hold or snap. Has been pushing right on misses this offseason.
@mattvensel Mike Priefer said that neither Cullen Loeffler or Kevin McDermott was perfect against the Steelers. #longsnappers
@mattvensel Priefer said the coverage teams have work to do, but he seemed pleased with the blocking on returns, particularly on the punt returns.
Zimmer:
@ArifHasanNFL Zimmer: After looking at the tape, areas I was impressed with--controlled LOS on both sides, tackled efficiently, looked fast
@ArifHasanNFL Zimmer didn't like three penalties on Waynes, third down performance, ten men on kick and the short running game....
@MasterStrib "He's got to come off the ball lower. He's not using his speed enough." - Zimmer on Danielle Hunter #Vikings
@Luke_Spinman Zim on Trae "he's fine.. Hes fine.. He got into some situations where he got back to some old college habits but he was fine after the game"
@ArifHasanNFL Zimmer not super concerned about Waynes' penalties. Had been teaching difference between college and NFL all camp.
@ArifHasanNFL Zimmer on Cap's absence: we were planning on playing him in nickel and didn't get there in that series.
@Luke_Spinman Zim on Waynes "a guy gave him a double move and he bit hard, I'd rather have him bite than play scared.. He's going to be a good player"
@ArifHasanNFL Zimmer doesn't know if Barr or Line will practice, but said he anticipates Barr being ready soon.
‏@GoesslingESPN Zimmer: Barr will go through some individual periods today. Want him ready for San Francisco.
@ArifHasanNFL Zimmer says Trattou has improved a lot in all aspects: scheme knowledge, pass rush and run defense.
@ArifHasanNFL "Shepherd was efficient, Clemmings had a good night and Thompson needs to get better"
@Luke_Spinman Z on Price "Was good to see him get out there I thought he played well,he got beat on a double move but for most part I thought he did good"
@Andrew_Krammer Zimmer: Anthony Barr (knee) has "improved," would've gone through walkthru today if had one. Will get individual work in practice this PM.
@Luke_Spinman Zim on Pruitt "he's improving his blocking, he's built to possibly be a good blocker hes for some improvement to do but he played good"
@Luke_Spinman Zim on mixing more veterans "well probably start mixing those guys in more soon"
@ArifHasanNFL It is not "critical" to have a fullback on the roster, per Zimmer. "Have to earn your spot like anyone else"
@MasterStrib "I feel good about the depth and the athletes we have at [cornerback]." - Mike Zimmer #Vikings
@ArifHasanNFL Zimmer on Harris: I don't know if it's his "job to lose" but I've been pleased with him
@ArifHasanNFL Zimmer was impressed with Tom Johnson.
@Luke_Spinman Zim on Audie "there's something to be said about tall linebackers.. You saw him tip that ball it makes it hard to throw those seems"
@ArifHasanNFL Zimmer was impressed with Joseph in training camp. "Played well in the two plays he had. I don't know what Pro Football Focus had"
@mattvensel Mike Zimmer with his first Pro Football Focus dig of the season. If you had August 11 in the pool, come and collect your prize.
@Luke_Spinman Zim on Kendricks "he needs to be a little more patient and slow things down.."
@ArifHasanNFL Zimmer says of Kendricks that he's playing well, but needs to settle down. Sometimes overruns. Basically opposite of his advice to Audie.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:
:lol: Thanks for including that.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@christomasson Anthony Barr active in positional drills
@mattvensel Not practicing today: Yankey, DuBose, Crichton, Bostick, Lutman and J-Rob. Barr and Line are back at practice.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Andrew_Krammer Linebackers still decisively winning the #Vikings' pass protection/rush drills. Line, Peterson won the few battles for offense.
Awesome. Let's keep Peterson on the field for more third downs.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Andrew_Krammer Rookie Tyrus Thompson, who struggled at LG on Sunday, now with the third OL at left tackle. #Vikings
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

:shock:
@ArifHasanNFL Adrian falls awkwardly in elevens, gets up slowly with slight limp. He's probably fine. But my guess is he won't practice rest of day.
@Luke_Spinman AP limping fell extremely awkwardly on simple run up middle legs got stuck underneath player as he went down to the ground... Scary stuff
@Andrew_Krammer Peterson was slow to get up after hitting ground in team drills. Seemed to limp off, but is shaking it off on the side. Jogging in place.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Luke_Spinman Perfectly placed ball 25 yards down the sideline by Kafka to Pruitt who makes over the shoulder catch to stay inbounds over LB J Kaddou
@ArifHasanNFL Just looked like a bad fall. Doesn't seem like team is concerned or even looking at him. He's still out here.
@Andrew_Krammer Peterson staying on the field, jumps back into drills. Looks fine.
-- whew
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: -- whew
That's a relief. Scary stuff indeed...
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I just #### my pants...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@ArifHasanNFL Kalil seals edge v. Rhodes to give McKinnon room on the sideline
@MasterStrib Good series from Matt Kalil durning team against Everson Griffen #Vikings
@ArifHasanNFL Johnson loses contested catch v Waynes on comeback from slot. More of a drop than a PD, but good on Waynes for not biting in vertical stem
‏@Luke_Spinman Asiata gets too second level with some steam and trucks Waynes for his welcome to the NFL rookie moment...Waynes holds on to make tackle tho
@ArifHasanNFL Thielen on out route from Hill. Might have been some coverage confusion between Waynes and Edmond Robinson.
@ArifHasanNFL Sherels does a good job covering Diggs, Hill forced to throw Patterson in flat. Met by Peters
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@ArifHasanNFL Patterson beats Waynes from slot on out route. Good route.
-- Patterson getting some slot work
@Luke_Spinman It's tons of underneath stuff but Patterson continues to make catches on Waynes... Huge success rate throughout camp on him
-- get ball to Patterson in space & in stride?

Oh and hopefully it's nothing but...
@mattvensel Adrian Peterson has left practice with trainer Eric Sugarman at his side.
--Seen not limping when walking with him.