Training Camp Master Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Training Camp Master Thread

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: It was fun! I didn't get a chance to post yesterday but I definitely had a good time. It was a beautiful night to watch a football game and for a preseason game, it was surprisingly entertaining. To my surprise, I even saw Josh Freeman play! I didn't know he had signed with the Dolphins. He played late in the game and, frankly, looked terrible. What the heck happened to that guy?

Anyway, regarding the game: Vikings28, Goldman looked pretty good. He has a nice burst off the line. I didn't see him do anything spectacular but he looked solid on the inside.

Jared Allen looked pretty good at LB. He almost managed a to make an interception on a pass he tipped. He's rushing from pretty far outside in the 3-4, which is different for him and may take some adjustment. He had to cover a back on a wheel route at one point and he did a very nice job with that. It looked to me like that back was Tannehill's intended target and he had to move off the back because Allen had him covered.

Overall, the Bears starters had a pretty rough night. They weren't out there long but the offense went 3 and out on the first possession (they struggled with Miami's new defensive line—and Suh in particular— although I imagine a lot of teams will have that problem). Both starting WRs were sitting so that probably didn't help.

After that first possession, the Bears o-line became more assertive and did okay. Their starting defense allowed Miami to take the opening possession for a long TD drive. They made some good plays on that drive but couldn't get a stop. They're probably still adjusting to a new scheme and some new teammates but it definitely wasn't pretty.

The Bears backups played well. Clausen had a solid night at QB. LB Sam Acho was a standout on defense. There were a lot of new faces. Based on this game (which isn't much of a basis), the Bears may have some real depth. I don't know if they have enough starting-caliber talent though.

Anyway, it was a fun evening and there were some pretty spectacular turnovers and an exciting TD run so for a preseason game, it was entertaining. Plus, the halftime show was a blast: dogs doing impressive tricks and catching frisbees! :) One dog walked on his front paws alone... I've never seen that trick before.

Haha! the joys of pre-season football: where the halftime show is as good or better than the actual game! :thumbsup:

I just saw that Kevin White got hurt and is out for the first 6 weeks of the season at a minimum. Tough break for the Bears. His regular season debut may be against us.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Texas Vike wrote: Haha! the joys of pre-season football: where the halftime show is as good or better than the actual game! :thumbsup:

I just saw that Kevin White got hurt and is out for the first 6 weeks of the season at a minimum. Tough break for the Bears. His regular season debut may be against us.
I doubt it...there is real concern about him missing the whole year.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: Jay Cutler? :wink:
:lol:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Haha! the joys of pre-season football: where the halftime show is as good or better than the actual game! :thumbsup:
Sadly, I've been to a few regular season games where that was true too!
If he's lucky...what a tough break for a rookie (and for the Bears).
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Mothman wrote: If he's lucky...what a tough break for a rookie (and for the Bears).
Reminds me of when we lost Greenway for his rookie season, after he got injured covering a kick on his very first play.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

akvikingsfan wrote: Reminds me of when we lost Greenway for his rookie season, after he got injured covering a kick on his very first play.
Oh man, I remember that. What a bum deal that was.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

IMO the thing the Viking improved the most on, this offseason was blocking. If you watch the last two games almost every time
a guy catches a screen pass the wide out of tight end engages a player up field and our speed changes a play from 5-7 yards to
18 yards.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!