Adrian Peterson Reinstated

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Re: Adrian Peterson Reinstated

Post by Pseudo Everything »

VikingLord wrote:I think we're seeing the real motivation behind AD's rant. He wants out plain and simple.
I tend to agree with that.

But here's what is really odd. Peterson would like the Vikings to terminate his contract so he is free to sign with someone else (cough) Cowboys. So to further that objective he goes on Twitter to rant about how unfair it is for teams to be able to terminate contracts without being held accountable for honoring those contracts.

I've long since quit trying to make sense of what Peterson says. He's just not very bright (and that's about the most polite way I can put it).

Most high profile (and extremely well paid) athletes know that going on a forum like Twitter to complain about their contract just isn't going to play well with the vast majority of people. Apparently Peterson doesn't get this.

This has the potential to turn into exactly the kind of situation that I was concerned about. That is ... that Peterson becomes such a distraction that his presence becomes worse than his absence.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Time to cut this guy loose.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

S197 wrote:I work in an "at will" state, meaning they can fire me tomorrow if they like. No guarantee. Conversely, I could also walk out tomorrow if I like.

Is this the sort of option AD wants? Yes, teams tend not to honor contracts until the end and guess what, overperforming athletes also generally get their contracts restructrued before expiration. It works both ways and I don't see the issue, they call it -guaranteed- money for a reason, anything beyond that is subject to performance.

Most people have no guarantee at all and everything is performance based. So put me in the camp that's having a real hard time feeling sorry for Adrian or any other player in the NFL for that matter.
Word. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Enough already with the victimhood. Shut up and play, AD.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

Frank Schwab @YahooSchwab
We've gone from AP saying his OTA absence was due to "securing his future" (i.e. gtd money) to him protesting the 4-year-old CBA. OK then.
My man has lost his damn mind. Close the twitter app and get on a flight to Minnesota, Adrian. Only way he's winning this battle is by lighting the league on fire and forcing the Vikings to pay him in 2016.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

S197 wrote:I work in an "at will" state, meaning they can fire me tomorrow if they like. No guarantee. Conversely, I could also walk out tomorrow if I like.

Is this the sort of option AD wants? Yes, teams tend not to honor contracts until the end and guess what, overperforming athletes also generally get their contracts restructrued before expiration. It works both ways and I don't see the issue, they call it -guaranteed- money for a reason, anything beyond that is subject to performance.

Most people have no guarantee at all and everything is performance based. So put me in the camp that's having a real hard time feeling sorry for Adrian or any other player in the NFL for that matter.
Can you imagine the total chaos of total "at will" employment in the NFL!!?? Players holding out at halftime after rushing for 150 yards in the 1st Half.....or conversely someone like Ponder getting cut in the 2nd quarter after 4 early picks!!! Imagine the excitement of the frantic first few days of FA.......ALL THE TIME!! :rofl:
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Mothman wrote: He doesn't have one of those jobs. His concerns are with his profession, not ours.
Exactly....in the NFL "at will" is a 1 way street.
cromulus
Backup

Post by cromulus »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Can you imagine the total chaos of total "at will" employment in the NFL!!?? Players holding out at halftime after rushing for 150 yards in the 1st Half.....or conversely someone like Ponder getting cut in the 2nd quarter after 4 early picks!!! Imagine the excitement of the frantic first few days of FA.......ALL THE TIME!! :rofl:
Just imagine the 2 week notices after teams start being eliminated from the playoffs.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

"Crazy How One Side Has So Much Power"

Post by DanAS »

"Crazy How One Side Has So Much Power"

According to ESPN.com, this was the line Adrian Peterson came up with in whining about the Vikings contract demands.

I am very rarely speechless, but this guy has left me that way.

Given what Peterson did, he's damned lucky that he's not living in Cell Block C. As we Jews like to say, "Dayenu!" But Peterson's luck doesn't stop with living in an era when child abuse is viewed as only a moderately serious offense. He is a member of a football team that is willing to honor a contract that would pay him a bazillion dollars on top of the bazillion dollars that he has already made. Amd yet even that is not enough for him. He wants guaranteed money. And somehow, he sees himself as a victim -- a victim of being in a subordinate role in a relationship, the one without the leverage. Kind of like, oh I don't know, like a four year old who is at the mercy of a big, powerful adult who never understood that there is a price to pay if you "don't tear" after you've been beaten too much, and that price is a bruised scrotum among other welts.

As it turns out, the Fates were prepared to make Peterson a very fortunate man, but he never understood when to say "Dayenu." Right now, I just pity the guy, for I've always valued moral skills more than physical ones, and he seems to come as small in the first category as he comes up large in the second.

There is no way I want the Vikings to give him what he wants. Let him play out his contract, if that's in the best interest of this team, and if he's disposed to pitch a fit, that's fine too. That's how we discipline four year olds, which is obviously what he is. If he ultimately decides not to play, we can handle that as well. After all, Vegas thinks we're going to go 6-10 or 7-9. Perhaps that's not very generous, but it's not like we're one running back away from our first world championship.

In short, since the Vikings are obviously in loco parentis when it comes to this tragic figure, the team should stand pat and just watch him perform. Whether it's off the field or on the field, Peterson sure knows how to put on a show.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: "Crazy How One Side Has So Much Power"

Post by DK Sweets »

I hate being that guy, but we already have a thread devoted to everything Adrian. If we had a new thread every time the situation escalated again, this board would be a mess.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re:

Post by DanAS »

DK Sweets wrote:I hate being that guy, but we already have a thread devoted to everything Adrian. If we had a new thread every time the situation escalated again, this board would be a mess.
I just thought that line deserved its own thread. It's a powerful, powerful line -- kind of a show stopper, at least for me.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

the nfl is a business. i don't blame the vikes; i don't blame peterson.
i'm ready for a beer.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Exactly....in the NFL "at will" is a 1 way street.
How so? Did Richard Sherman "honor" his 5th round rookie contract? No, they stepped up and payed the guy $55 million because he proved his worth.

There's really no expectation, on either side, that a contract in the NFL will be seen all the way through. It's pretty rare for a team to pay a massive contract full tenor. Jared Allen comes to mind and I really can't think of any others (although I'm sure there are examples just not the norm).

I'm still trying to figure out Peterson's gripe. Does he feel duped? Did his agent not explain what he was getting into by signing?

Lets flip this around, what assurance does the team have that Adrian will produce if they guarantee his contract. Are they guaranteed a 2k season? The guy could go out the first game and they're out all the money. It's a risk on both sides. I mean, look at Fowler, didn't even put on a pair of pads and he's done for the season. He's getting paid and the team is eating the loss.

It may be a unique situation in terms of employment but there is shared risk in each and every contract, which makes me have a hard time seeing how things are all that one sided.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Uhhh?? Can someone translate? The Vikings ARE honoring your contract, Adrian.
I put this in google translate and this is what it spit out:

mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Adrian Peterson may be a total idiot but he's right in this specific situation. It's players like him that put butts in the seats and pour massive amounts of money into the league, yet it's the owners who aren't putting their bodies at risk and causing permanent damage to them who have all the power and make even stupider amounts of money. It's the players that are the real commodity, the ones with a talent so elite that less than 0.2% of the worlds population could do their job as well as they do.
DanAS wrote:I've always valued moral skills more than physical ones
Well good for you I guess... unfortunately it's those physical skills that fill a stadium and keep all of us glued to the TV on sunday. Don't take it out on the players though, it's not their fault how "barbaric" we are to be so entertained by guys who run fast and hit each other hard. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

It's a shame and an embarrassment on humanity that players get treated the way they do in the NFL once the small amount of guaranteed money runs it's course. I've been following the NBA more and more over the last 2 years and I was surprised to find out that contracts are pretty much always fully guaranteed there, if you sign for 5 years 65 million you're getting 65 million, what both sides agreed on. In the NFL I would bet a lot of deals are presented to the players fully knowing the odds of them playing out the full contract are slim to none and they'll never actually pay out all of that contract.

I mean no offense to anyone out there but if it was your elite talent, your skills that almost NO ONE else could do in the entire world that was making a business so successful like the NFL is today, wouldn't you be pissed about how things currently work? Would you really be happy to make what you make and tow the company line and wait for them to dump you out? Making the owners rich in the mean time?
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Mondry,

An argument can certainly be made that the NFL shouldn't be the one league that doesn't guarantee salaries. But Peterson, given what has happened in the past year, shouldn't be the guy to create the test case -- and the above line is an example of why not.