NFL Top 100: #62 Adrian Peterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

NFL Top 100: #62 Adrian Peterson

Post by DK Sweets »

NFL.com Video

There are a bunch of ways to look at this. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: NFL Top 100: #62 Adrian Peterson

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Curious. when did the voting take place?

Considering the players who voted had no idea where or if Peterson was even going to play in 2015, that sounds about right.

If he does play, it's much too low. I'd put him in the top 10.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

If I'm not mistaken, the list is titled 2015 because that is when it is released, but it is reflecting the 2014 season. I'm on mobile and about to walk into work, but I also believe the ballots take place toward the end of the season.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

DK Sweets wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the list is titled 2015 because that is when it is released, but it is reflecting the 2014 season. I'm on mobile and about to walk into work, but I also believe the ballots take place toward the end of the season.
Yea, thats what they claim but they had Peyton on there immediatly following his year where he got hurt and barely played.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

This is from wiki.
The NFL Top 100 is an annual list that features the top one hundred players in the National Football League (NFL), as chosen by fellow NFL players. The rankings are based on an off-season poll organized by the NFL, whereby players vote on their peers based on the performance of the previous season and their belief of how the player will perform in the coming season. So far, the #1 ranked player has always been the reigning MVP of the league.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Thanks for that clarification.

I think it speaks to just how dominant Peterson is that he made the list at 30 years old while playing one game last year.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

DK Sweets wrote:Thanks for that clarification.

I think it speaks to just how dominant Peterson is that he made the list at 30 years old while playing one game last year.
Oh yeah, I bet there isn't another player a defense doesn't want to play against more than AD, not even Peyton Manning in his prime. Peyton would just make you look bad, AD hurts you and makes you look bad haha. It basically becomes a mental battle of attrition and will to muster up the strength to do what you have to do against him. Every thing in our brains would be telling us to just get out of his way, it doesn't make any sense to take him on but that's what you have to do against him for 30 carries!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote: Oh yeah, I bet there isn't another player a defense doesn't want to play against more than AD, not even Peyton Manning in his prime. Peyton would just make you look bad, AD hurts you and makes you look bad haha. It basically becomes a mental battle of attrition and will to muster up the strength to do what you have to do against him. Every thing in our brains would be telling us to just get out of his way, it doesn't make any sense to take him on but that's what you have to do against him for 30 carries!
Man, do I know that feeling. We used to play these epic neighborhood football games, usually with about 6 players on each team. This started when we were all pretty little but already football-crazed and continued all the way through high school. Anyway, as we got older, one of my friends (his name was Tom) grew into a big guy. He played guard in high school and made the all-state team. I was not so big. He probably outweighed me by 50 lbs and he was in great shape. I particularly remember two encounters with him on the field when we were playing. One was a lot like what you described above. He had the ball and was running toward the goal line. I was the last line of defense and my brain was basically screaming at me to get out of his way but, hey, it was football so I tried to tackle him anyway! He plowed right over me. I grabbed his ankle as he went by and held on as he dragged me about 10 yards for the score. :lol:

The other play occurred years earlier and I had the ball. I was running a sweep. I leapt over a guy who tried to tackle me and Tom slammed into me in mid-air. I never saw him coming. The next thing I knew, I was on the ground and everybody was asking if I was okay. That was the closest I've ever come to seeing cartoon stars but to this day, I'm proud that I didn't fumble. I basically blacked out for a second but somehow, I didn't fumble!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Man, do I know that feeling. We used to play these epic neighborhood football games, usually with about 6 players on each team. This started when we were all pretty little but already football-crazed and continued all the way through high school. Anyway, as we got older, one of my friends (his name was Tom) grew into a big guy. He played guard in high school and made the all-state team. I was not so big. He probably outweighed me by 50 lbs and he was in great shape. I particularly remember two encounters with him on the field when we were playing. One was a lot like what you described above. He had the ball and was running toward the goal line. I was the last line of defense and my brain was basically screaming at me to get out of his way but, hey, it was football so I tried to tackle him anyway! He plowed right over me. I grabbed his ankle as he went by and held on as he dragged me about 10 yards for the score. :lol:

The other play occurred years earlier and I had the ball. I was running a sweep. I leapt over a guy who tried to tackle me and Tom slammed into me in mid-air. I never saw him coming. The next thing I knew, I was on the ground and everybody was asking if I was okay. That was the closest I've ever come to seeing cartoon stars but to this day, I'm proud that I didn't fumble. I basically blacked out for a second but somehow, I didn't fumble!
Great story Moth! I miss the old days of going out and playing football and baseball with friends. You see less and less of it these days as digital simulations seem to win out over the real deal...or the sports become organized at such an early age there just isn't much opportunity for unsupervised play with the neighborhood kids. I'm grateful I got to grow up with that, but sad at how many kids never get these experiences anymore.

I remember one of the kids we used to play with was a big Bills fan, and he would always wear his bills Jacket while we played. Somehow that thing had been greased up, whether on purpose or not I don't know, but he was always so damn hard to tackle in that thing if you didn't get him low...I guess it was good training for how to tackle properly. Great times!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Great story Moth! I miss the old days of going out and playing football and baseball with friends. You see less and less of it these days as digital simulations seem to win out over the real deal...or the sports become organized at such an early age there just isn't much opportunity for unsupervised play with the neighborhood kids. I'm grateful I got to grow up with that, but sad at how many kids never get these experiences anymore.
I feel the same way. Some of my favorite memories of growing up involve playing unsupervised sports in the neighborhood. We had a blast.
I remember one of the kids we used to play with was a big Bills fan, and he would always wear his bills Jacket while we played. Somehow that thing had been greased up, whether on purpose or not I don't know, but he was always so damn hard to tackle in that thing if you didn't get him low...I guess it was good training for how to tackle properly. Great times!
LOL! I remember a kid in our neighborhood who would wear a windbreaker over his other clothing when we played football in the snow. Once that thing got wet, it was just like the Bills jacket you described. If you didn't tackle him low, you'd slide right off.

Speaking of snow, in 1978 this area was hit with a blizzard and we ended up with massive drifts and piles of snow lining the streets. We had a great time playing football in the street that year, mainly because if someone was running near the sidelines, you could plow into them and knock them into one of the big drifts. :)
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Yeah I have a similar story with my friend Jimmy, he wasn't physical fit like your friend jim and he might have only been like two inches taller than most of us but he was a stocky dude with probably 40 pounds on most of us but damn were his legs strong cause no one could tackle him. I remember a really similar thing with one of my friends trying to wrap up his leg and he just casually dragged him another 3 yards into our made up end zone lol.

From then on we knew our goal was just to just slow him down till back up could arrive hahaha.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:Yeah I have a similar story with my friend Jimmy, he wasn't physical fit like your friend jim and he might have only been like two inches taller than most of us but he was a stocky dude with probably 40 pounds on most of us but damn were his legs strong cause no one could tackle him. I remember a really similar thing with one of my friends trying to wrap up his leg and he just casually dragged him another 3 yards into our made up end zone lol.

From then on we knew our goal was just to just slow him down till back up could arrive hahaha.
:lol: That's the approach we ended up taking too: slow him down, wait for the cavalry to arrive, pile on and (hopefully) drag him down.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

You guys talking reminded me of being in 4th and 5th grade and playing football on the baseball field next to the highschool game going on on the football field right next to us, good times. Thanks for that, even though in reality that was only like 04-05 XD.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011