OTAs

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: OTAs

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:It's interesting. He seems to prefer a beefier defensive line for sure; size/speed guys and has admitted as much. I'd have to go back and see his tendencies for linebacker preferences but with his "I'm not worried about his size" comment regarding Kendricks, sounds like he prefers athleticism more for his linebackers, even if I'm sure he'd like the Anthony Barr-type body types if he could go to Build-A-Backer. I do know his LDE has traditionally been a bigger dude. He places quite a bit of emphasis on stopping the run, and that starts up front with the big guys. And his preference on "taller" corners as well. I just think he doesn't like to start off a game undersized anywhere, which makes sense not to already be at a size disadvantage.
Sure, I can totally understand it. You gave me a more thoughtful and detailed response than I was expecting! I was just thinking that I've heard him say more than once that he likes "big guys' and that tweet reminded me of it.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

X-post but includes some bits about Kalil, Wallace, Waynes, etc.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Note ... good052715
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Build-A-Backer :rofl:

I'm gonna have to check out more of these links later.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Very encouraging news on Matt Kalil. Hope those knee scopes give him the best possible chance at regaining his rookie form.

Sounds like we're committed to Fusco at LG. He's only played RG with the Vikings as far as I know. Moving from RG to LG doesn't sounds like a big deal but it means changing technique and some players are better at that than others. Hopefully Fusco can do it seamlessly and be an anchor next to Kalil.

Am I the only one who finds it surprising that Clemmings is getting reps at RG with the first team? I know it's only OTAs but still ... sort of a big deal AFAIC. I was expecting Yankey to be ahead of Clemmings at RG. Hope the rookie takes advantage of this opportunity. Also interesting that Carter Bykowski was at LG with the 2nd team. Bykowski's best position is RT but if he can show he can play inside he'll be in a position to challenge Mike Harris for the swing tackle spot.

We had 89 out of 90 show up for voluntary OTAs. Nice. Only one disgruntled malcontent missing.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

Most interesting thing coming out of today for me was the info about the o-line. They're actually going ahead and moving Fusco to LG. I know Zimmer said as much a few weeks ago but I thought they still might look at different options. However, Fusco said they told him of this plan a while back and he's ready for the challenge. Looks like that'll be Fusco's position unless something goes very wrong.

Other interesting part was Clemmings getting first team reps at RG. Coming out I thought he would be a tackle in the NFL and many people said he's a bit raw but they're throwing him right in there. It's only the second day and things can change quickly but they might be giving him every opportunity to start right away.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Very interesting stuff on the line. Still the biggest question mark for me, would be awesome is we have the skilled players now to form a cohesive Oline for the next few years.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Speaking at Vikings OTAs on Wednesday, Teddy Bridgewater called Kyle Rudolph "the biggest weapon we have right now."

"He's like a new player out there," Bridgewater said of Rudolph.
Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Looks like 0:40 into the first video Teddy runs an option play and keeps the ball. Interesting.

I'd have to agree that the line situation is a huge story heading into camp, along with the development of CP and Waynes. Didn't see much out of Flash in these videos.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings Roundup, 5/27: Fusco, Kalil Building Bromance

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... a4f0117c0c

Worth watching the two interviews with Fusco and Kalil. Kalil has some good things to say about Fusco. I was a bit nervous about the move from RG to LG but Fusco really makes it sound like it's no big deal. Nice to hear he's at full strength again.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

"Just gotta switch everything in my brain, which, I'm kinda smart, I think, so I'll try and figure it out." - Brandon Fusco

:lol:
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The Fusco quote is gold.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Spielman on KFAN this morning.

KFAN1003 @KFAN1003 · 43m 43 minutes ago
Spielman: "Don't forget the guy who's popping out right now, [2014 third-round pick DE] Scott Crichton." #Vikings

Have to take that with a little grain of salt since it's Spielman talking up one of his draft choices ... however ... it's not uncommon for players to make a big leap forward between their 1st and 2nd years. Hope that's the case with Crichton.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Pseudo Everything wrote:Spielman on KFAN this morning.

KFAN1003 @KFAN1003 · 43m 43 minutes ago
Spielman: "Don't forget the guy who's popping out right now, [2014 third-round pick DE] Scott Crichton." #Vikings

Have to take that with a little grain of salt since it's Spielman talking up one of his draft choices ... however ... it's not uncommon for players to make a big leap forward between their 1st and 2nd years. Hope that's the case with Crichton.
That's great to hear!!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 6a91cd8435

May 28th highlights. Nice deep ball by Teddy to CP :thumbsup:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri