2015 Vikings Injury Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2015 Vikings Injury Thread

Post by dead_poet »

But it’s possible Sunday’s game will have little impact on the Vikings’ postseason placement should the Green Bay Packers (10-4) lose to the Arizona Cardinals in a 3:25 p.m. CT kickoff on Sunday. If the Seahawks win or the Falcons lose, the Vikings clinch a playoff berth. If the Packers lose, the Jan. 3 season finale at Lambeau Field will decide the NFC North winner regardless of the Vikings’ result.

So, would Zimmer sit starters currently recovering from nagging injury if the situation arises?

“That’s a good question. I’ve talked about it and thought about it,” Zimmer said Wednesday. “I know that if we did something different other than play our best football — I’m too much of a competitor in each game that I wouldn’t want to fight. I do want to be smart. And that would be more so with guys that are hurt or something like that.

“It wouldn’t be — our mindest is to go win both these two games. Play our guys, game plan, prepare the way we do. Because I do think that it’s important. We’ve played good these last two games, and I think it’s important that we continue to build. If we happen to get in the playoffs, I think it’s important that we continue to push to where we want to get to.”
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2015/ ... on-sunday/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I think it's great that game got flexed, cause they might have clinched a spot before kickoff.
If AZ beats GB I would really consider playing those 3 guys as if it were a preseason game....it wouldn't mean playing not to win IMO, cause all these guys are playing their butts off. The effort and results by the backups the past 2 weeks has been really good. I know they gave up those 2 big plays in AZ that hurt them....but it wasn't for lack of effort as much as it was rookie mistkes.
But like AK said, I'm glad it's not my decision.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

GoesslingESPN Anthony Barr, Linval Joseph, Harrison Smith all practicing. Adrian Peterson is not. Sharrif Floyd, Rhett Ellison, Josh Robinson also DNPs.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

If the game has no bearing on the outcome of the playoffs, I would sit everyone. The ultimate goal is to win the championship and winning a meaningless game does almost nothing (only intangibles like momentum) whereas sitting guys who are clearly banged up for an additional week may be a difference maker.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

S197 wrote:If the game has no bearing on the outcome of the playoffs, I would sit everyone. The ultimate goal is to win the championship and winning a meaningless game does almost nothing (only intangibles like momentum) whereas sitting guys who are clearly banged up for an additional week may be a difference maker.
How often do we see teams need a quarter to adjust back to top performance out of a bye week? We can argue until we're blue in the face that it shouldn't happen, but the reality is that it *is* a thing and with a team as young as ours that has shown questionable focus through the season (SF, GB) that is a bit of a risky proposition.

I have no issue with letting our injured players sit or play limited minutes if their legs aren't healed yet (especially since Linval and Harrison seem to have superb focus) but I wouldn't let the team as a whole rest on their laurels. Especially as hot as our team has been recently, I want that focus to stay at top notch if we can help it. Sitting players would seem like a detriment to the routine to me.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I dont think it makes a lot of sense playing AD, Joseph, Smith, or Barr. Unless the season (or playoff's depend on it) or even the game, is on the line. Wouldn't a win solidify a wild card though? But better yet, if we win the last 2 games, and GB loses, we get the division, and a week off. After reading all the playoff scenarios, ive just gotten a huge headache. Im sure by the time we play the Giants, everyone will hear over and over and over, what every game means. Pretty exciting talking about playoff when we have a chance to beat any team, if we aernt all injured up.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I dont think it makes a lot of sense playing AD, Joseph, Smith, or Barr. Unless the season (or playoff's depend on it) or even the game, is on the line. Wouldn't a win solidify a wild card though? But better yet, if we win the last 2 games, and GB loses, we get the division, and a week off. After reading all the playoff scenarios, ive just gotten a huge headache. Im sure by the time we play the Giants, everyone will hear over and over and over, what every game means. Pretty exciting talking about playoff when we have a chance to beat any team, if we aernt all injured up.
Pretty sure if the Vikes beat the Giants and then the Pukers they win the North regardless if the Puke win or lose against the Cards.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

The only way week 17 won't be for the division is if GB beats Az and the Vikes lose to the Giants.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I dont think it makes a lot of sense playing AD, Joseph, Smith, or Barr. Unless the season (or playoff's depend on it) or even the game, is on the line. Wouldn't a win solidify a wild card though? But better yet, if we win the last 2 games, and GB loses, we get the division, and a week off. After reading all the playoff scenarios, ive just gotten a huge headache. Im sure by the time we play the Giants, everyone will hear over and over and over, what every game means. Pretty exciting talking about playoff when we have a chance to beat any team, if we aernt all injured up.
If you win the last two games, you win the division regardless of how GB fares against ARI

Sorry, I didn't see that two other posters already said that.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

DK Sweets wrote:How often do we see teams need a quarter to adjust back to top performance out of a bye week? We can argue until we're blue in the face that it shouldn't happen, but the reality is that it *is* a thing and with a team as young as ours that has shown questionable focus through the season (SF, GB) that is a bit of a risky proposition.

I have no issue with letting our injured players sit or play limited minutes if their legs aren't healed yet (especially since Linval and Harrison seem to have superb focus) but I wouldn't let the team as a whole rest on their laurels. Especially as hot as our team has been recently, I want that focus to stay at top notch if we can help it. Sitting players would seem like a detriment to the routine to me.
Well you can't let the whole team rest, the roster doesn't really allow that but you rest your crucial players. Momentum is real but as I said it's an intangible. It's no different than teams resting guys the last week when they've clinched.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

S197 wrote: Well you can't let the whole team rest, the roster doesn't really allow that but you rest your crucial players. Momentum is real but as I said it's an intangible. It's no different than teams resting guys the last week when they've clinched.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I feel like your dismissing the idea of momentum because it's intangible, but that doesn't make it any less important.

To me, the argument of it being different than when teams rest their starters in Week 17 is not a strong one. Teams coming off of bye weeks or first round byes frequently (but not always) take time to get back to game speed. I don't think our teams' focus or margin for error is large enough to take that chance.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Im betting Zimmer is thinking about who to plays, and when, more then all of us combined. Another instance of where we are going to have to trust him. But I really hope I dont see AD out there unless its an absolute necessity, against the Giants. Against GB, we go all out. Beating then, and get the Division, in a tough division, would make my year. I just cant stand GB. :puke:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

DK Sweets wrote:I feel like your dismissing the idea of momentum because it's intangible, but that doesn't make it any less important.

To me, the argument of it being different than when teams rest their starters in Week 17 is not a strong one. Teams coming off of bye weeks or first round byes frequently (but not always) take time to get back to game speed. I don't think our teams' focus or margin for error is large enough to take that chance.
I'm not dismissing it, I'm weighing it against the risk of injury. And to me, the risk of injury is a greater threat than something like momentum.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I really feel the team has momentum going with the backups in there, and that the critial momentum is happening on offense. I'm not convinced resting the 'big 3' for another week (if it's even applicable at this point) would be a momentum squasher....although the threat of it is as real as one of those guys getting reinjured.
But from the sound of things those guys might be good to go regardless, which to me is the best case scenario. I feel it's really important that those guys have some significant snaps before GB, if they're healthy. The rust issue is my concern.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

We could have a wild card before our game is even played. If Seattle wins and Atlanta loses (both are very likely) then we are in before the game even starts Sunday night
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri