The 53

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

The 53

Post by fiestavike »

Just for fun, at this early stage who do you think will be on the 53 man roster?

QB (3)

Teddy Bridgewater
Shaun Hill
Taylor Heinicke?

RB (3)

Jerrick McKinnon
Matt Asiata
DuJuan Harris

WR (6)

Mike Wallace
Charles Johnson
Stefon Diggs
Cordarelle Patterson
Jarius Wright
Adam Thielen

TE/FB (4)

Kyle Rudolph
Rhett Ellison
MyCole Pruitt
Chase Ford

OL (8)

Matt Kalil
Phil Loadholt
Brandon Fusco
John Sullivan
Joe Berger
TJ Clemmings
Tyrus Thompson
Mike Harris

DT (5)

Sharif Floyd
Linval Joseph
Tom Johnson
Shamar Stephen
BJ Dubose

DE (5)

Everson Griffin
Danielle Hunter
Scott Crichton
Caesar Rayford
Brian Robison

LB (6)

Eric Kendricks
Anthony Barr
Chad Greenway
Audi Cole
Gerald Hodges
*Mychal Kendricks (in exchange for 5th round pick)

CB (6)

Xavier Rhodes
Trae Waynes
Terrance Newman
Captain Munnerlyn
Justin Coleman
*Byron Jones (acquired along with cowboys 2016 1st round pick in exchange for Adrian Peterson)

S (4)
Harrison Smith
Taylor Mays
Antone Exum Jr.
Anthony Harris

ST (3)

Kevin McDermott
Blair Walsh
Jeff Locke
Last edited by fiestavike on Tue May 12, 2015 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: The 53

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Where is Peterson?

Oh I see now, I don't think he will be traded. And if he was it would take more than what you are thinking :P If Peterson plays for the Cowboys they are probably going to finish pretty good, and AP is worth more than the 30th-ish pick in the 2016 draft and a rookie corner.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

fiestavike wrote:Just for fun, at this early stage who do you think will be on the 53 man roster?
OL (8)
Matt Kalil
Phil Loadholt
Brandon Fusco
John Sullivan
Joe Berger
TJ Clemmings
Tyrus Thompson
Mike Harris
Yankey go home?
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Now that the draft is over, I think AP value has shot up considerably because there are no replacement runningbacks left.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Norv Zimmer wrote:Where is Peterson?

Oh I see now, I don't think he will be traded. And if he was it would take more than what you are thinking :P If Peterson plays for the Cowboys they are probably going to finish pretty good, and AP is worth more than the 30th-ish pick in the 2016 draft and a rookie corner.
You could be right...I'm not confident in any of these predictions, just having fun really.

The way I see it, the Vikings would be getting 2 firsts for Peterson, this year and next year. That's as good a return as is possible. Peterson wants to leave, the cowboys want Peterson, the Vikings maximize return...I still think its pretty likely.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pseudo Everything wrote: Yankey go home?
Yep...I don't think Yankey makes the team. Berger is the only backup C so I don't him going and Harris has enough competence and versatility to stick unless Yankey blows him away. Its possible but I think those two and Thompson are battling for 2 spots, and Yankey won't win one of them.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

fiestavike wrote: Yep...I don't think Yankey makes the team. Berger is the only backup C so I don't him going and Harris has enough competence and versatility to stick unless Yankey blows him away. Its possible but I think those two and Thompson are battling for 2 spots, and Yankey won't win one of them.
Interesting take. I'm hopeful that Yankey will take a leap forward after having a year under his belt getting acclimated to the pro game and working on his strength in the offseason. If we carry 8 OL, Thompson would be a good candidate for the practice squad (I don't believe Yankey is PS eligible this year). Could easily see Berger as our starting LG on opening day depending on how things shake out in training camp.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

The 53

Post by DK Sweets »

Pseudo Everything wrote:Interesting take. I'm hopeful that Yankey will take a leap forward after having a year under his belt getting acclimated to the pro game and working on his strength in the offseason. If we carry 8 OL, Thompson would be a good candidate for the practice squad (I don't believe Yankey is PS eligible this year). Could easily see Berger as our starting LG on opening day depending on how things shake out in training camp.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/29/6 ... y-deadline

"A player can be eligible if he does not have an accrued season in the NFL, although the NFL has now approved a maximum of two spots on the PS for players with no more than two accrued seasons. To have an accrued season, you have to be active for at least six regular-season games. A player can also go to the practice squad with an accrued season provided they were on the 45-man active roster for less than nine-regular season games."

Yankey should be eligible.
jeg067
Starter

Post by jeg067 »

fiestavike wrote:Just for fun, at this early stage who do you think will be on the 53 man roster?

CB (6)

Xavier Rhodes
Trae Waynes
Terrance Newman
Captain Munnerlyn
Justin Hunter
*Byron Jones (acquired along with cowboys 2016 1st round pick in exchange for Adrian Peterson)

Who's Justin Hunter ?
The natural state of the football fan is bitter disappointment. - N.H.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jeg067 wrote: Who's Justin Hunter ?
Justin Coleman. My bad, got my Vols confused.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I thought the list was very good ...I think you guessed pretty close

I noticed you put Diggs third on wide outs.

Do you think he will be our third wide out this season ?

or where you just listing them randomly ?
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:I thought the list was very good ...I think you guessed pretty close

I noticed you put Diggs third on wide outs.

Do you think he will be our third wide out this season ?

or where you just listing them randomly ?
Thank, they're just listed randomly.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I'll play along. I expect my opinion to change a lot once minicamps start.

QB (3)

Teddy Bridgewater
Shaun Hill
Mike Kafka

RB (3)

Adrian Peterson
Jerrick McKinnon
Matt Asiata

WR (6)

Mike Wallace
Charles Johnson
Stefon Diggs
Cordarelle Patterson
Jarius Wright
Adam Thielen

TE/FB (5)

Kyle Rudolph
Rhett Ellison
MyCole Pruitt
Chase Ford
Zach Line

OL (8)

Matt Kalil
Phil Loadholt
Brandon Fusco
John Sullivan
Joe Berger
TJ Clemmings
Tyrus Thompson
David Yankey

DT (4)

Sharif Floyd
Linval Joseph
Tom Johnson
Shamar Stephen

DE (4)

Everson Griffin
Danielle Hunter
Scott Crichton
Brian Robison

LB (6)

Eric Kendricks
Anthony Barr
Chad Greenway
Audi Cole
Gerald Hodges
Michael Mauti

CB (7)

Xavier Rhodes
Trae Waynes
Terrance Newman
Captain Munnerlyn
Josh Robinson
Jabari Price
Shaun Prater

S (4)
Harrison Smith
Taylor Mays
Robert Blanton
Antone Exum Jr.

ST (3)

Kevin McDermott
Blair Walsh
Jeff Locke

I need to explain some of my choices:

7 Corners!? Yeah, Seven of them. Here's why: Newman is old as ####, but I think his experience is valuable. Waynes can't be relied on yet, but obviously he's a lock. We're basically one Xavier Rhodes injury away from "Oh no, we suck again", even though I'm higher on Capt and Robinson than some members.

Prater stuck last year and I believe he played some safety, so I think that gives him a nice shot to earn a spot again. Price stuck last year and the coaches seemed to like him, so I kept him on. Also, if Captain goes down I think Price is the best option in the slot.

I think Mauti makes the roster based on special teams play. Unless I'm completely forgetting somebody, he was possibly our best ST coverage player last year, and he might be our best thumper in the middle.

Zach Line was stashed all of last year, so I added him. If I were in charge, Ellison/Asiata would split that role, but I'm not convinced Norv sees things the same way.

I kept Clemmings, Thompson, and Yankey as backups. Clemmings has a lot of potential, and I think Thompson does, too. I think Yankey might not pan out to be a starter in the league, but I think he could be a very valuable back-up (similar to Berger). I unfortunately have Berger starting...I'm not sure if he's any kind of downgrade from Charlie Johnson, but as Jim has been saying all off-season, it would be nice to have an upgrade.

I know I'm a bit low on D-Line depth, but my theory is that Prater plays a CB/S role which frees Taylor Mays up for a S/LB role which frees up Anthony Barr for a LB/DE role. The bodies are there at every position because we have athletes with versatility.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

DK Sweets wrote:
I need to explain some of my choices:

7 Corners!? Yeah, Seven of them. Here's why: Newman is old as ####, but I think his experience is valuable. Waynes can't be relied on yet, but obviously he's a lock. We're basically one Xavier Rhodes injury away from "Oh no, we suck again", even though I'm higher on Capt and Robinson than some members.

Prater stuck last year and I believe he played some safety, so I think that gives him a nice shot to earn a spot again. Price stuck last year and the coaches seemed to like him, so I kept him on. Also, if Captain goes down I think Price is the best option in the slot.

I think Mauti makes the roster based on special teams play. Unless I'm completely forgetting somebody, he was possibly our best ST coverage player last year, and he might be our best thumper in the middle.

Zach Line was stashed all of last year, so I added him. If I were in charge, Ellison/Asiata would split that role, but I'm not convinced Norv sees things the same way.

I kept Clemmings, Thompson, and Yankey as backups. Clemmings has a lot of potential, and I think Thompson does, too. I think Yankey might not pan out to be a starter in the league, but I think he could be a very valuable back-up (similar to Berger). I unfortunately have Berger starting...I'm not sure if he's any kind of downgrade from Charlie Johnson, but as Jim has been saying all off-season, it would be nice to have an upgrade.

I know I'm a bit low on D-Line depth, but my theory is that Prater plays a CB/S role which frees Taylor Mays up for a S/LB role which frees up Anthony Barr for a LB/DE role. The bodies are there at every position because we have athletes with versatility.
Looks like our major differences are just where I posited wacky trades instead of sticking with guys currently on the roster. (my bad)

I disagree about Berger starting, mainly because he is the (only?) backup center and I see wanting to keep that guy off the field at the same time as Sullivan barring injury. Clemmings, Thompson, Harris or Yankey...or maybe even Shepherd will be starting at G wk 1 in my opinion. Yankey and Shepherd are both Practice Squad eligible and thats where I envision them both this year.

I like Josh Robinson and find the arc of his performance encouraging. Nonetheless I honestly think beyond Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes, there are no locks at CB. Robinson's ability to stick might be dependent on Waynes ability to upgrade the slot position (since Robinson doesn't seem to be an option inside). Old man Newman's future might be dependent on what they do with Robinson. How many guys that can only play outside can the team keep? Munnerlyn has an edge since he can play inside, but if Waynes can slide inside or if Price or Coleman can show something inside, I don't think Munnerlyn is a lock, especially given his admitted "freelancing" last year, and his higher salary. The good news is that unlike the past few seasons with a lot of bad options, they are closer to having a lot of good options this season. I just think it could shake out a lot of different ways...One of the tougher position groups to predict.

I've always been on Mauti's side, but I think this is the end of the rode for him as a Viking. I agree that if he makes the team its on special teams, but he is likely too small and weak to be an option in Zimmer's defense.

Zach Line is an interesting option. I think it depends whether they want a true fullback on the roster or whether they plan to go with more of an H-back, or 2 TE approach. I anticipate them making that change with Rudolph, Ford, Pruitt and Ellison. They've got some good pass catchers there and its probably easier to camouflage what they are trying to do offensively with that kind of personnel. Having said that, I like the idea of Line as a FB because he does bring more speed and versatility to that position than your average fullback. The biggest question on him is how well can he block?

Interesting view on Prater. I think he did stick because of his versatility last year, but mainly because there wasn't a better option. If they liked him enough at S to put him in that position this year, I think he would have been starting over Blanton and Sendejo. Exum provides some of the same versatility but with much more upside, and he'll be 2 years removed from the ACL. I also like the idea of Mays sliding in at OLB and Barr at DE. When they come with that 9 man front that type of versatility can make it rough on an opposing QB to identify WTH is going on.

Fun take DK, thanks for taking the time!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote:Robinson's ability to stick might be dependent on Waynes ability to upgrade the slot position (since Robinson doesn't seem to be an option inside).
I disagree. It's my understanding Waynes has no experience in the slot. I would see him playing there working out as well as when Robinson gave it a try. He'll be strictly an outside corner.
Old man Newman's future might be dependent on what they do with Robinson. How many guys that can only play outside can the team keep? Munnerlyn has an edge since he can play inside, but if Waynes can slide inside or if Price or Coleman can show something inside, I don't think Munnerlyn is a lock, especially given his admitted "freelancing" last year, and his higher salary.
I consider Munnerlyn a lock. He is the only guy capable of playing the slot with any degree of proficiency and offers position flexibility. It sounds like he understands his first year with the Vikings wasn't great and has recommitted himself. I expect him to improve and to man the slot exclusively in nickel packages. If Waynes isn't ready to start week 1 on the outside, Newman will be there over Robinson.
I've always been on Mauti's side, but I think this is the end of the rode for him as a Viking. I agree that if he makes the team its on special teams, but he is likely too small and weak to be an option in Zimmer's defense.
If he doesn't make the team, I believe that has nothing to do with his size. He's listed at 6'2/243. We just drafted a guy in the second round that's two inches shorter and 11 pounds lighter. Greenway is 6'3/237. He simply may not have the athleticism left after all his knee surgeries, which is unfortunate.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly