The 53

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: The 53

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: I disagree. It's my understanding Waynes has no experience in the slot. I would see him playing there working out as well as when Robinson gave it a try. He'll be strictly an outside corner.
I would have agreed completely except that they worked him some at in the slot during rookie practices. I still tend to agree that he will strictly be outside, which to me means Josh Robinson is gone. Note that I wasn't predicting Waynes would be used inside, just that if he isn't, Josh Robinson will not be a Viking IMO.
dead_poet wrote: I consider Munnerlyn a lock. He is the only guy capable of playing the slot with any degree of proficiency and offers position flexibility. It sounds like he understands his first year with the Vikings wasn't great and has recommitted himself. I expect him to improve and to man the slot exclusively in nickel packages. If Waynes isn't ready to start week 1 on the outside, Newman will be there over Robinson.
As I said, I agree that Munnerlyn has an edge to stick on the roster for just that reason. I'm not quite prepared to say "lock" though.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

fiestavike wrote:I disagree about Berger starting, mainly because he is the (only?) backup center and I see wanting to keep that guy off the field at the same time as Sullivan barring injury. Clemmings, Thompson, Harris or Yankey...or maybe even Shepherd will be starting at G wk 1 in my opinion. Yankey and Shepherd are both Practice Squad eligible and thats where I envision them both this year.
I understand your reasoning, but we've seen other teams shake up their lineup if injuries hit. I think if the team is more confident in Berger than another player, you put him at LG and move him if Sullivan goes down. The best players should start, in my opinion.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote:I would have agreed completely except that they worked him some at in the slot during rookie practices.
Yes, but I don't see that as a clear indication he's going to see significant snaps there. I wouldn't read much into rookie camp practices. Put this way: if Waynes is playing the slot this year something has gone wrong.
I still tend to agree that he will strictly be outside, which to me means Josh Robinson is gone. Note that I wasn't predicting Waynes would be used inside, just that if he isn't, Josh Robinson will not be a Viking IMO.
That's cool. I just think Robinson may have more value long-term than Newman, who is a one-year veteran stopgap. Granted Robinson is on the last year of his rookie contract and had an up-and-down season but he mixed in some solid play. I don't think he has reached the limit of his talent. I'd be surprised if he was cut. While he may not be Revis out there I think he can be a productive depth guy.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:
That's cool. I just think Robinson may have more value long-term than Newman, who is a one-year veteran stopgap. Granted Robinson is on the last year of his rookie contract and had an up-and-down season but he mixed in some solid play. I don't think he has reached the limit of his talent. I'd be surprised if he was cut. While he may not be Revis out there I think he can be a productive depth guy.
I like Robinson too, and agree with your take on him. I think he has a lot of upside and has shown a lot of improvement. I think the point I'm trying to make is that he and Newman seem to be competing for one spot as far as I can tell.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

DK Sweets wrote:7 Corners!? Yeah, Seven of them.
Sorry I didn't want to quote your whole post but I think you're right that they likely keep a lot of secondary players. I think Zim has mentioned he likes to do this due to the frequency in which they get hurt. DE depth is scary, literally no one with playing experience behind the starters. Having some modular guys like Mays and Prater might be enough but I know Zimmer likes to rotate the line so it wouldn't surprise me if he keeps another end. I just can't figure out who.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

S197 wrote: Sorry I didn't want to quote your whole post but I think you're right that they likely keep a lot of secondary players. I think Zim has mentioned he likes to do this due to the frequency in which they get hurt. DE depth is scary, literally no one with playing experience behind the starters. Having some modular guys like Mays and Prater might be enough but I know Zimmer likes to rotate the line so it wouldn't surprise me if he keeps another end. I just can't figure out who.
I think they'll probably stash a DE (maybe two) on the practice squad but they'll keep the secondary players on the active roster. In my opinion, especially in our division, going thin at CB is a death sentence while going thin at DE is more like losing your family jewels. It's going to hurt, and it will definitely bum you out, but you can adjust and survive.