Vikings sign entire 2015 draft class

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings sign entire 2015 draft class

Post by Mothman »

This is different for the Vikes:

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-sign ... ts_vikings
Vikings top pick Trae Waynes signed his first NFL contract around lunchtime. Not long after Waynes put paper to pen, nine other draft picks, including UCLA linebacker Eric Kendricks and Louisiana State defensive end Danielle Hunter, followed suit.

Before it was time for dinner, the Vikings became the first NFL team to sign their entire draft class, getting everyone under contract before this weekend’s rookie minicamp.

The rookie minicamp begins Friday at Winter Park.
KSViking
Veteran

Re: Vikings sign entire 2015 draft class

Post by KSViking »

I think after the CBAs and rookie salary caps, this is going to become the norm. It took a couple years for everyone to get comfortable with it, but think the agents and players know now that there is not much negotiating to do with their drafted players. Winston was signed before the draft was over if I recall. I think this is the right way to go with the sport as well, too many franchises were disabled by picking early and having to pay guys who had never taken a snap yet, insane wages.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Glad to hear it. Anybody know if there's media access for rookie minicap?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

KSViking wrote:I think after the CBAs and rookie salary caps, this is going to become the norm. It took a couple years for everyone to get comfortable with it, but think the agents and players know now that there is not much negotiating to do with their drafted players. Winston was signed before the draft was over if I recall. I think this is the right way to go with the sport as well, too many franchises were disabled by picking early and having to pay guys who had never taken a snap yet, insane wages.

i'm thankful for that. rookie holdouts were so annoying.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Glad to hear it. Anybody know if there's media access for rookie minicap?
I think they get some limited access.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Media access only for today (not weekend). No live-Tweeting/streaming allowed. Zimmer has press conference today at 11:45.

Vikings Rookies Arrive for Minicamp
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... 276296307c
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

An Intimate Look At The Vikings' Rookies

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 286113bd46
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer presser 5/8
@ArifHasanNFL Zimmer mentioned that, though early, Trae Waynes has caught on faster than any other guy he's had on the first day in terms of technique
@mattvensel Mike Zimmer said Eric Kendricks will start out at MLB but may shift to WLB down the road. #Vikings
@ArifHasanNFL Zimmer says he like big guys but for linebackers, not as important because the DL should keep them clean
@ArifHasanNFL Zimmer likes Anthony Harris' instincts, communication. "Very communicative"
@ArifHasanNFL "I like athletes. It didn't always work, but If you hit, you get a home run." - Zimmer in response to a draft class full of raw players
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@ArifHasanNFL Zimmer on Kalil surgery: more of a cleanup thing. Matt says it's the best he's felt since rookie year
(we'll see)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@ArifHasanNFL "What stands out to you about this defense?" Waynes: fast."
@ArifHasanNFL Btw as you'd expect, walkthroughs had Stefon Diggs at punt returner. We didn't get quotes or anything, but expect him to compete there at TC
@ArifHasanNFL Clemmings doesn't even know what foot injured. Really doesn't bother him.
@Andrew_Krammer 4th round pick TJ Clemmings said he was working at guard and tackle today
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Appears that most rookies are still signing with agents to represent them. I'm surprised this is still the case. Under the new CBA the dollar amount and term of rookie contracts are predetermined. There's almost nothing to negotiate. The NFLPA allows agents to charge up to 3% of the contract amount. That's a lot of money for not doing much. Rookies would be better off negotiating for themselves and hiring an attorney at an hourly rate to review the paperwork.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Andrew_Krammer Clemmings worked exclusively on the right side at guard and tackle. Said Davidson told him during predraft process they'd try him there
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@MNBrianHall Zimmer: "I love athletes because I have confidence that I can kind of get these guys playing, play better and improve.”
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

That is a very good sign IMO. Guys who want to play and learn, versus months of haggling,
missing time.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

jackal wrote:That is a very good sign IMO. Guys who want to play and learn, versus months of haggling,
missing time.
Absolutely! Great news!
dead_poet wrote:
Cool! 8)