Which camp story are you most interested in following?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Which camp story are you most interested in following?

Starter at left guard
29%
Linebacker depth chart
15%
Starter at safety opposite Harrison Smith
5%
Cordarrelle Patterson vs. playing time
19%
Trae Waynes vs. Terrance Newman
10%
Stefon Diggs vs. Adam Thielen
2%
Kevin McDermott vs. Cullen Loeffler
No votes
Babatunde "Babs" Aiyegbusi
8%
Matt Kalil
5%
Adrian Peterson
8%

Total votes: 62

petev_sj
Veteran

Re: Which camp story are you most interested in following?

Post by petev_sj »

My 2 cents about Patterson and Khalil.

I thought both players took criticism to heart. I thought Khalil did much better at the end of the season. As for Patterson, from what I am reading this off season, he is trying his hardest to be a better receiver, learning from experience WRs, changing his conditioning workout. If he turns out not to be an NFL receiver, it's not from a lack of trying.

As blasphemous as this may sound, given the choice between a receiver with natural talent that never bothered to learn route running (Randy Moss), or a kick off returner that is trying his hardest to become an NFL receiver. I would choose the latter. I root for this kid to be successful more then Randy Moss. And I am one of the biggest fan of the Moss era.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Rick rolled the dice with CP. Everyone here knew that. He picked a WR with basically very little skill, or much time spent , in being a WR. His 2 years here have proved to me, he is not a good route runner, and lacks what the other taller, athletic WR have, that makes them stand out.

Rick definitely likes freaky fast athletic picks.( I am so glad we got Teddy when we did and didnt get some athletic freak of a QB ). Its bound to fail once in a while. I hope CP isnt a failure. I really hope they give him a million reps in the slot. But if that isnt working out this year, I would like to see one of the other WRs to be given a chance. Like Johnson was last year.

I chose guard as the story I would be following the closest. Such a GLARING need that has yet to be addressed. Just throwing low grade picks at the problem wont work. I think they will be happy if they just find someone slightly better then Johnson was. Why the heck didnt Rick trade up for Cann. Really burns me. Just wanted to get his 10 picks again....
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
The guy is electric with the ball in his hands and it's Turner's job to make that happen.
This is one of those things we just seem to have a different philosophy about. I think its Turners job to do everything he can to help turn Patterson into a player who can succeed in his system, but not to find ways to get the ball into Patterson's hands.

There is no doubt that Norv has had great success with a big group of WRs over the years. I have tons of confidence that he knows what he's doing.

I don't think they've given up on Patterson and I still have hope that he is going to be a GREAT WR, but I don't think you get him them by creating touches instead of teaching him to play within the system. I know, you will say the two aren't mutually exclusive, and you may be right theoretically, but I don't see how Turner can be expected to give playing time to a guy who prohibits the offense from being run correctly. Every piece of the offense is related, and one guy who can't get off a jam or can't remember a route or runs it 5 yards too deep starts to break down the whole machine.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is he excelled on those plays more often than he did traditional routes. He was blanketed. Often. It wasn't that hard to see. A guy with his speed and quickness should be open a lot more often but he lacked the hand fighting, footwork and route fake/selling consistently enough (which isn't to say he never did). And when he was open, he sometimes wasn't where he needed to be. Zimmer made similar statements. Athletically, he could destroy Jennings at this point but looking at the tape from last year Jennings was open far more often than Patterson.

I'm more than willing to give him another chance, but he has to prove that he can beat press coverage and get where he needs to be consistently because he needs to be on the field as often as possible and make the most of his opportunities. And of course Teddy needs to be accurate with the ball and find him when he is open. Lots of moving parts. Hopefully they come together this season.
Yup... :)

Sorry, I'd say more but I'd just be repeating myself. We'll see what happens.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: This is one of those things we just seem to have a different philosophy about. I think its Turners job to do everything he can to help turn Patterson into a player who can succeed in his system, but not to find ways to get the ball into Patterson's hands.

There is no doubt that Norv has had great success with a big group of WRs over the years. I have tons of confidence that he knows what he's doing.

I don't think they've given up on Patterson and I still have hope that he is going to be a GREAT WR, but I don't think you get him them by creating touches instead of teaching him to play within the system. I know, you will say the two aren't mutually exclusive...
You're right. :)
... but I don't see how Turner can be expected to give playing time to a guy who prohibits the offense from being run correctly. Every piece of the offense is related, and one guy who can't get off a jam or can't remember a route or runs it 5 yards too deep starts to break down the whole machine.
I think that aspect of things has been greatly exaggerated.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: You're right. :)
I think that aspect of things has been greatly exaggerated.
I don't know how exaggerated its been, but I know it was significant enough for them to remove their most athletically gifted playmaker from the field, which indicates to me that the coaches decided it was a legitimate issue.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I don't know how exaggerated its been, but I know it was significant enough for them to remove their most athletically gifted playmaker from the field, which indicates to me that the coaches decided it was a legitimate issue.
They clearly had their reasons.

Sorry to be so brief. I'm burnt out (long day)...
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: They clearly had their reasons.

Sorry to be so brief. I'm burnt out (long day)...
No worries :)

We've covered our disagreements about this already anyway.

:v):
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

For f*ck's sake. AGAIN?

Kalil reportedly had offseason surgery on both knees
Left tackle Matt Kalil underwent arthroscopic surgery on both knees this offseason, according to a report from USA Today. Kalil also received injections to help him deal with joint pain.

The 25-year-old had both his knees scoped in January by renowned orthopedist James Andrews, according to the report. In March, he underwent a procedure called Regenexx in which blood is removed, processed and re-injected into his knee. He also underwent platelet-rich plasma therapy.

It was the second straight offseason during which Kalil has undergone arthroscopic surgery.

Last spring, Kalil did not participate in team practices as he worked his way back after the surgery. He was ready by training camp, but he struggled, particularly in pass protection, during the season. He has said the knee troubles and missed practice time in the spring affected his confidence.

Kalil, the fourth overall pick in 2012, never missed a start in his first three seasons in the NFL.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Now we know why they drafted so many tackles!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I think it's the guard position but all in all, I'm not all that worried about it. It will just be interesting to see who wins it. You can't get much worse than Charlie Johnson and the lower round picks HAVE worked for us. We have options of Clemmings, Yankey, Berger, Thompson and Shepherd. I couldn't tell you the last time we had depth at a position like that. Some might not view Clemmings as a guard but he is only 6'4 3/4. That's perfect size for a guard and he is overly athletic. I also like Thompson a lot. Berger has always been decent and Yankey has supposedly really impressed coaches so far this year with the offseason work he has put in.

Many will sit here and say we didn't address it because we didn't take a "flashy" LG pick in the early rounds. But all 3 of our draft picks plus Yankey and Berger make me very comfortable because it allows us try 5 different players at that position if we want and let the best man win. I highly, HIGHLY doubt every one of those 5 players would be awful at the position. So in turn, I'm not worried one bit.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:For f*ck's sake. AGAIN?

Kalil reportedly had offseason surgery on both knees
Well it's good that he got it fixed and it was way back in January. Now we know why he's struggled so much recently. Lets hope now that he can return back to his old self.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Full Kalil story from Pelissero: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /70918658/

I've lost count at how many surgeries he's had on his knees now. Is it five, counting the one before his rookie year? I feel bad for the guy but this is clearly working against him. I no longer think he's the left tackle of the future despite his offseason surgeries and other treatments. It's becoming clear his knees just can't stand the rigor and the demand of the NFL. Good thing we drafted all those tackles.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

That's not good at all about Kalil. He struggles to maintain weight and maybe those knee joints can't handle the extra weight.

I can't recall ever reading that Moss couldn't run routes as was noted somewhere above...he took plays off, but he thoroughly understood the position and the game. Comparing CP to him is puzzling.
If Chad Johnson couldn't grasp the Patriot offense I doubt Patterson could do it. Moss excelled in it and Belichek called him one of the smartest football players he's ever coached.

Patterson is still learning the game and he is in danger of being squeezed out. I think they should run special plays for him, but I question whether or not Norv has that mindframe this late in the game. I hope CP pulls through...it will be a big whiff draft and picks traded- wise if not....not to mention the waste of potential talent and big play making ability.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

The "Kevin McDermott vs. Cullen Loeffler" option cracks me up :lol: :lol:

After voting the LG position.....I must say Babs is a close 2nd. I'm really pushing for this guy. I absolutely love what I saw on tape. Granted, it's against poor competition but the fact that he blocks guys all the way down the field and how well he moves impresses me the most. If this guy can somehow put it together and learn the game quick, what a find he would be!!
-Chazz Palminteri