Early predictions for Vikings' D

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

How will this defense finish next year, in total yards allowed?

Top 1
No votes
Top 5
27%
Top 10
53%
Top half
20%
Bottom half
No votes

Total votes: 45

CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Early predictions for Vikings' D

Post by CbusVikesFan »

I voted top 10 despite the lack of a good pass rush. The line is not imposing at all. Robison is so so. Joseph kinda the same.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Did you just say we lack an imposing pass rush? Did you forget to watch EG play last year?

I think top 10 is possible and #1 is possible, but not probably. Waynes is going to take time, even with Zimmer coaching him up. I think it will be faster with Zimmer at the helm, but there is no substitute for experience and he is going to get tested in the NFC North. Still, I think by mid-season the secondary will present a daunting task to opposing QBs. In adding Waynes they may finally not only have elite starters, but also strong depth via Captain, Josh Robinson, Newman, etc.

Blanton might be the weakest overall player on the defense this year and that doesn't look to getting improved unless one of the other depth players takes his job. (could happen.)

Kendrick's size is going to give him advantages and disadvantages. Teams will likely run blockers right at him to see if he can shed the NFL sized linemen. At 230#, that is going to be a tall order. As Jim said, interior rush defense is unproven. I suspect that a positive here will be Linval Joseph having a stronger season after being in the system for a year as well as the continued improvement of Sharif Floyd. ILB will be the question mark.

Overall there is a lot more positive than negative. The big thing is how those two top rookies perform. If they over achieve this could be a special season on defense.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

The big question mark for me is how productive Peterson can be and if McKinnon doesn't get injured again.
Provided those guys stay healthy and put in some work rushing, hopefully we can start tying and even winning some
Time of Possession battles. Our D was getting gassed by us always fizzling out in 3 to 9 plays. If we can string
some sustained drives together it will really benefit the D.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats ... tics/2014/

The Vikings were 26th out of 32 teams in time of possession in minutes per game and total time.
Some of those games got to be pretty brutal and you could tell how mentally and physically gassed our D was.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Hunter Morrow wrote:The Vikings were 26th out of 32 teams in time of possession in minutes per game and total time.
Some of those games got to be pretty brutal and you could tell how mentally and physically gassed our D was.

Interesting stat. I never knew that. Being bad at time of possession definitely hurts the D, especially late in the games.

Still, I think lack of talent and depth had a big hand in some of the late game meltdowns as well.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

losperros wrote:
Interesting stat. I never knew that. Being bad at time of possession definitely hurts the D, especially late in the games.

Still, I think lack of talent and depth had a big hand in some of the late game meltdowns as well.
True, but I remember plenty of pass coverages at the ends of halves where we got rocked time of possession wise and I just thought,
"Yep, that total blowup in pass coverage happened because his brain was in the garbage can because his body was too tired."
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

It's all possible, but I'm more in the grey area with this as opposed to the black and white. If they're top 5, what's that mean in the context of the question? Scoring defense? Yards allowed? Run/pass defense?...I would say top 10 overall is just fine, so long as they're top 5 in things like 3rd down and red zone defense.