5.146 Vikings select WR- Stefon Diggs Maryland

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 5.146 Vikings select WR- Stefon Diggs Maryland

Post by The Breeze »

@PKoolaid
Well, I think they already gave his reps to Johnson, and I imagine that if he can't demonstrate improved understanding this season that they will look at the whole thing differently and adjust accordingly. They could try to trade him, cut him, or create a specific package for him using his strengths.
_
Also, I don't think they did anything wrong as far as chances given to or time spent on Ponder. He just wasn't the guy and the way the timing worked we landed TB who looks to have more of demeanor for the position.

I think that whoever you draft for your QB, you have to be behind him 1000% for at least 3 seasons unless he totally blows and there is a shot at another guy in the draft who is markably better.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Demi wrote: :rofl:
:roll:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:He isnt even exceptional at that anymore.
Why because he fumbled once or twice and was battling an injury most of the season?? Good analysis :roll:

He was 6th in yardage and in average yards per return and that's while he was battling an injury. He's one of the most gifted athletes in the NFL so no matter what, he's going to be a good kick returner
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote:Sorry I brought it up, we drafted a guy that seems like he'd be able to do everything Patterson could do, without the hand holding. And Patterson might have some value, but I guess maybe Patterson doesn't have any value. :confused:
That guy has also battled injuries his whole career so if we get rid of Patterson and Diggs gets hurt then who to we go to?? Let him get another year of this offense down and see how things go. He's never in his football career had the same offense two years in a row. The second a guy on this team does bad you want to automatically get rid of him and take digs at him and Spielman in almost every post you make just to get a rise out of people. It's quite childish to be honest.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:We overpaid for a KR. He isnt even exceptional at that anymore.
Mike already brought up the injury and the stats, but do you really think that his athleticism just disappeared in one year? That he'll never be able to run well again?

Devin Hester had 11 return TDs in his first two years and then 0 in his next two. Did that mean he was washed up after two years?

If you want to question whether he will ever be a great receiver I have nothing to prove you wrong (although I do think there is reason to have at least one more year of patience). But the idea that he will never be a solid returner moving forward, to me, is absurd.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: right right, a "mystical WR guru", because a WR coach sounds too positive and suggests that Patterson is of his own volition spending his offseason working to improve his game.
On the other hand, Patterson has been doing his offseason training in India... ;)
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: On the other hand, Patterson has been doing his offseason training in India... ;)
Maybe he's been working out with Ricky Williams. :lol:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
SkolUK
Waterboy

Post by SkolUK »

Sooooo, Stefon Diggs.....

:wink:
MichViking
Transition Player

Post by MichViking »

You guys are also forgetting that without AP last year teams were keying in on Patterson. Patterson looked great towards the end of last year and in week 1 with AP.

Give him another year in the system and with AP back, and at worst we will get some spectacular game breaking end arounds and reverses. Just to much vision and open field running ability with both AP and Patterson on the field. Defenses have to choose.
RIP Sean Taylor
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PFF Stefon Diggs, the Vikings' 5th round WR, averaged 9.3 yards after the catch against Power 5 teams, the leading mark in the 2015 WR class.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Getting back to the thread, some videos of Diggs

(warning: R rated music on this one)
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Man, the more I watch this kid, the more I think we got a steal in the 5th round. Another great value pick by Spielman. Diggs has "Beckham-like" hands (if you don't believe me, watch the videos below) and is an explosive playmaker. I feel like he could see some significant time his rookie season and beyond. Could be an eventual replacement for Wallace as well.

I remember being excited about Jarius Wright being picked in the 4th a few years ago and how it was a good value pick which it was but Diggs was much more explosive than Wright was in college. Don't be surprised if he makes some noise this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxFESYGYvY

https://instagram.com/p/01gSKmqnWc/?tak ... efondiggs_

https://instagram.com/p/0Lf5m1KnWL/?tak ... efondiggs_

https://instagram.com/p/1LgZaJKnWl/?tak ... efondiggs_

https://instagram.com/p/2We8WfqneD/?tak ... efondiggs_
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I'm liking the Diggs pick more too. I doubt he gets much playtime this year, unless one of our WRs gets hurt or stinks up the place. But he is so valuable learning his spot for the future. I love his hands. I think we got a steal too.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I'm liking the Diggs pick more too. I doubt he gets much playtime this year, unless one of our WRs gets hurt or stinks up the place. But he is so valuable learning his spot for the future. I love his hands. I think we got a steal too.
In one of the little interviews on vikings.com he says this offense is pretty familiar to him and similar to what they did in college. If true, I really wouldn't count him out of being in competition for the slot early.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

This is what I don't get, he's played two seasons. Rookie year frazier and musgrave basically stopped him from ROY honors. He had a good season despite only starting to get significant snaps in week 9. Last year he was off. That's two seasons, holy crap people give it some time.