5.146 Vikings select WR- Stefon Diggs Maryland

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

5.146 Vikings select WR- Stefon Diggs Maryland

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings selected Maryland WR Stefon Diggs with the No. 146 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.
Diggs (6'0/195) was a five-star recruit out of high school, but endured a disappointing and injury-plagued college career. He posted 2,227 yards and 14 TDs on 150 catches (14.8 YPR), missing time due to a suspension, lacerated kidney, and fractured leg. Diggs clocked 4.46 at the Combine, but disappointed in the vertical (35") and broad (9'7") jumps. Diggs will have to earn his NFL keep as a sub-package receiver and on special teams, where he returned two kickoffs for touchdowns in college.
Sat, May 02 2015 2:10 PM
Really like this pick. Diggs has been projected as a sleeper for quite some time now. Injury concerns don't really worry me because they were brutal injuries that was just bad luck.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: 5.146 Vikings select WR- Stefon Diggs Maryland

Post by mondry »

Just going off of his highlight reel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxFESYGYvY) this guy looks like a big time play maker. He makes some really nice grabs and looks really good after the catch as well. Very explosive and it looks like he can actually run some routes and go deep as well. Also looks like he can return kicks and hopefully punts so while he learns WR we can upgrade PR.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

mondry wrote:Just going off of his highlight reel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxFESYGYvY) this guy looks like a big time play maker. He makes some really nice grabs and looks really good after the catch as well. Very explosive and it looks like he can actually run some routes and go deep as well. Also looks like he can return kicks and hopefully punts so while he learns WR we can upgrade PR.
I love the play at 1:04 where he fights to stay on his feet.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Rieux
Franchise Player

Post by Rieux »

Based on that video, the Diggs pick looks like bad news for Adam Thielen.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Rieux wrote:Based on that video, the Diggs pick looks like bad news for Adam Thielen.

Agreed, he looks very solid in that video. LOL at the artsy fartsy beginning to that video, though. Some RTF student cutting his teeth I suppose.

Diggs looks like he has a very nice burst, soft hands, several one-handed catches and/or tipped balls that he tracked and caught. Very nice looking WR.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Texas Vike wrote:
Agreed, he looks very solid in that video. LOL at the artsy fartsy beginning to that video, though. Some RTF student cutting his teeth I suppose.

Diggs looks like he has a very nice burst, soft hands, several one-handed catches and/or tipped balls that he tracked and caught. Very nice looking WR.
Yeah, I don't know what his deal is attitude wise or off the field stuff but from what I've seen on the football field I'm shocked we got him in the 5th round. Maybe the highlights are way better than his game tape.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Just some comments I found on reddit:
ecrd
Hello Vikings fans - University of Maryland alum here. Stefon Diggs is very very talented. He was a 5 star recruit out of high school. He is fast, elusive, and has stickem hands. He made some pretty ridiculous catches and runs while in College Park. His production was never what it should have been because we had a gaping hole at quarterback for his entire college career. Seriously one year we had to start a scout team linebacker at quarterback for like 5 games, and Diggs still caught a few touchdowns! I think durability is the big question for him. He is one of those guys that just couldn't stay healthy despite never having those lingering injuries. He broke his leg badly one year, and then another year ruptured his spleen! We love Diggs in College Park and are hoping for the best for him.
Edit: I should also add he was also a very good return man in college!
I live in Maryland and will be attending UMD in the fall, so I have grown up watching Torrey SMith, DHB, and Diggs. Diggs was by far in my opinion the best in College Park. STEAL for you guys.
[–]Flacco_EliteDragon
Current Maryland student here congratulating you guys on this pick. I would have loved to see Diggs end up on the Ravens, but you guys got an absolute steal here. At the beginning of the year, Diggs was seen as a 1st-2nd rounder, but due to our incompetence at QB and a random spleen injury, he wasn't able to put together the monster year he is capable of. I really like what you have done with your offensive skill positions, especially if AP returns. With all the weapons Teddy Bridgewater now has, I will be taking him as a QB2 in every fantasy league I am in. You are now my clear 2nd favorite team, as you got the best player Maryland has seen in a while. I hope you maximize his potential, the sky is the limit with this guy.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Now trade Patterson....
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Demi wrote:Now trade Patterson....
Er naw....
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Er naw....
Why, you want the rest of the NFL to have another year to see what a first round bust looks like?
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Why, you want the rest of the NFL to have another year to see what a first round bust looks like?
Because I am not ready to call him a bust and I have not given up on him. He is a talented football player.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

He has hardly played football, let alone a WR. At least Diggs knows the WR position.

Hopefully this year will define CP. Either give him an extension, or dump him for a 6th, if lucky. Kalil is in the same boat. Hes going to have a little more competion at tackle, once we figure out who the guard will be. I am hoping the Vikings didnt ignore the LG for another year. Im guessing they have a plan in mind.
cromulus
Backup

Post by cromulus »

I hadn't hear of him before today. The tape on Stefon Diggs looks impressive. His speed with the ball, hands to catch poor passes, and ability to fight for the ball looks good enough. I hope he ends up a steal for the Vikings.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

he looks like a beast on special teams, as well.. Should be interesting camp
a lot of guys are facing competition, to stay with Vikings, this next season.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Why, you want the rest of the NFL to have another year to see what a first round bust looks like?
He still holds value as a kick returner. It's not like he's some dud on the roster that can't do anything. He's a talented athlete and it just depends on what they decide to do with him. I'd get rid of Thielen before I'd ever get rid of Patterson
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri