5.143 Vikings select TE- MyCole Pruitt Southern Illinois

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

5.143 Vikings select TE- MyCole Pruitt Southern Illinois

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings selected Southern Illinois TE MyCole Pruitt with the No. 143 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.
Pruitt (6'2/251) established Missouri Valley Conference all-time records in receptions (211), receiving yards (2,601), and TDs (25) by a tight end, twice earning first-team All-American accolades in the FCS. Highly athletic, Pruitt blew up the Combine with a 4.58 forty, 38-inch vertical, and standout agility scores. A more athletic version of Charles Clay, Pruitt is built to be a playmaking H-back and showed competitiveness as a college blocker. In Minnesota, Pruitt will open his career behind Kyle Rudolph, Rhett Ellison, and Chase Ford.
Sat, May 02 2015 2:03 PM
Don't know much about this one but he sounds like a pretty legit athlete and gives us some athleticism at TE
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: 5.143 Vikings select TE- MyCole Pruitt Southern Illinois

Post by mondry »

I like Rudolph but the guys just hurt every damn year. Not sure about the pick but the productions there and the athleticism's good so we'll see.
JD_Fiction
Backup

Post by JD_Fiction »

But no Jay Ajayi, which is disappointing. Sacrificed David Cobb in the trade back as well.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Maybe the dream destroyer (Sugarman) said no go on Ajayi. I'm wondering if this is also happening to Ekpre-Olomu.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

JD_Fiction wrote:But no Jay Ajayi, which is disappointing. Sacrificed David Cobb in the trade back as well.
Why with AD and McKinnon would they even have considered Cobb :confused:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
JD_Fiction
Backup

Post by JD_Fiction »

Cause AD is 30 years old and we have no idea if he will stay healthy all year, Jerick McKinnon already had back issues. I'm sure you would love to get stuck with Asiata again but i for one would not.
JD_Fiction
Backup

Post by JD_Fiction »

Last edited by JD_Fiction on Sat May 02, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

JD_Fiction wrote:Cause AD is 30 years old and we have no idea if he will stay healthy all year, Jerick McKinnon already had back issues. I'm sure you would love to get stuck with Asiata again but i for one would not.
First off Cobb is not that good of back, in fact I would bet that he could not even beat out Banyard. AD is good to go for at least 2 more years and Mckinnow should be fine. I guess they could have drafted him as a 4th string back though. To each their own.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Purple bruise wrote: First off Cobb is not that good of back, in fact I would bet that he could not even beat out Banyard. AD is good to go for at least 2 more years and Mckinnow should be fine. I guess they could have drafted him as a 4th string back though. To each their own.
Ok, hold on. David Cobb IS a very good back. He is better than Joe Banyard. Banyard was un-drafted for a reason.

I am not disappointed that he have not drafted a halfback in the least bit, but, come on. David Cobb is far from being a bad halfback.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Purple bruise wrote: First off Cobb is not that good of back, in fact I would bet that he could not even beat out Banyard. AD is good to go for at least 2 more years and Mckinnow should be fine. I guess they could have drafted him as a 4th string back though. To each their own.
McKinnon was also a rookie and wasn't prepared for the NFL game. If you've seen that picture that was floating around, the guy's been clearly hitting the weight room this offseason. He also was an option quarterback in college, and gives the team a couple of interesting options there.

Peterson has been sitting out, and he'll last his contract if they platoon him with McKinnon.

The only running back in this draft that could clearly replace all of the above right away was Todd Gurley. Gordon "might" have, but Waynes was probably better value at 11. There are a lot of guys who are better than Banyard in this draft, but that's not saying that they're starters. They're just okay. They don't bring much more than you'd expect out of a back that might get you 900 yards a season as a ceiling.

Anyway, I like the Pruitt selection. Norv likes his tight ends and he likes guys who bring some interesting abilities to the table. Pruitt has pretty good hands and could be useful as a possession guy...and Kyle Rudolph hasn't been good at staying healthy.
-Rus
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Ok, hold on. David Cobb IS a very good back. He is better than Joe Banyard. Banyard was un-drafted for a reason.

I am not disappointed that he have not drafted a halfback in the least bit, but, come on. David Cobb is far from being a bad halfback.
Yep, I did not say that he was "bad" but look how long he lasted and look at his critique by the experts. I happen to be a Banyard fan and as I said to each their own.

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Guys like Pruitt are really intriguing to me.

He's got decent size, excellent speed for a tight end, good athleticism, and loads of production. With a guy like this, I always wonder how he ends up at a school like Southern Illinois. Maybe a late bloomer? If so, he could be a steal.

At any rate, the 5th round is a great place to take an athletic project.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

MyCole Pruitt to Minnesota Vikings
His SPARQ score—a Nike metric designed to measure athleticism and adjust for weight—is estimated by 3SigmaAthlete.com to be the third-best in the entire tight end class and the best of any tight end drafted this year.

No tight end in the top 20 of 3SigmaAthlete.com's estimated SPARQ scores ran a faster 40-yard dash (4.58 seconds), and that kind of speed will dictate how he'll initially be used.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2452 ... -breakdown
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I'm wondering if he is going make the roster?

maybe playing squad or special teams...

I'm quessing Ford does not make the roster this year
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@MNBrianHall Zimmer on TE MyCole Pruitt: “Norv was pretty adamant throughout the draft about this was a guy we’re really intrigued with.”
Zimmer said Turner had a lot of say with selecting Pruitt.
Interesting.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly