5.143 Vikings select TE- MyCole Pruitt Southern Illinois

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: 5.143 Vikings select TE- MyCole Pruitt Southern Illinois

Post by Demi »

Pseudo Everything wrote: I don't view Rudolph as slow. Gronkowski's best 40 time was 4.68. He isn't that much faster then a healthy Rudolph. And size is a consideration (Pruitt is only 6'2" which is short for a TE). In 2012 Rudolph had the 2nd most TD receptions for TEs in the league (only 1 behind Gronkowski). At 6'6" he makes for a nice redzone target.
Yeah, Gronk isn't a burner. But he's a lot more physical than Rudolph. Fights a lot harder for those jump balls. Out muscles defenders. Gronk runs through tackles after he has the ball. How often do you see that out of Rudolph? He had a good 2012, wee. His other THREE YEARS COMBINED he had fewer touchdowns, COMBINED. Since 2012 he's looked even slower, and stiff as a 2x4. Gronk doesn't play fast. Rudolph doesn't play fast. But Gronk brings a half dozen other things to the game that Rudolph doesn't. I think everyone hopes Rudolph is 100% and shows up. But even when he's played the last two seasons, he's looked slower then he ever has. And doesn't have half the physicality that Gronk brings to the game.

We're still comparing Rudolph to Gronk? Remember when Rudolph and Spielman's brilliant signing of Carlson were going to be our Gronk/Hernandez?
I guess Hernandez and Carlson are both out of the league... :confused:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Please keep the discussion about football and address the message, don't shoot the messenger. NO personal attacks...
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

This guy IMO is the best addition to the team...With Diggs being pretty much a tie...

Pruitt's blocking and overall play against the Steelers was top notch. Not too mention
the touchdown. I love having a guy that blocks more like the sauce and can still generate
play making in our offense.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:This guy IMO is the best addition to the team...With Diggs being pretty much a tie...

Pruitt's blocking and overall play against the Steelers was top notch. Not too mention
the touchdown. I love having a guy that blocks more like the sauce and can still generate
play making in our offense.
Oh no. The 'Sauce just heard you question his speed. That don't fly, homie. But the Flying 'Sasser does. Or, er, did.

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Oh no. The 'Sauce just heard you question his speed. That don't fly, homie. But the Flying 'Sasser does. Or, er, did.
I don't think it was speed per say, but how he was in protection plans. I remember plays when Culpepper was here when they would
have the sauce bump a rusher and then run a hook or something and score or get a first down. Sauce was a true blocker and the Vikings
counted on him to do that, IMO.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote: I don't think it was speed per say, but how he was in protection plans. I remember plays when Culpepper was here when they would
have the sauce bump a rusher and then run a hook or something and score or get a first down. Sauce was a true blocker and the Vikings
counted on him to do that, IMO.
I know. Just any excuse to insert that clip, really.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Yep, like Diggs probably be the second best player at his position by seasons end. And both of the guys ahead of them will have a lot to prove. Hopefully he gets some chances, with Norv here he just might, unlike the previous two coaches who seemed to mini-tackles at tight ends.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Chili's offense ... OMG how many times third and long and two or three small runs up the middle

for two yards :steamed:

That play when Pruitt scored .. Norv ran that with Gates or a variation quite a bit..

I'm hoping Rudolf stays healthy too.. He looks very fit ...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote:Yep, like Diggs probably be the second best player at his position by seasons end. And both of the guys ahead of them will have a lot to prove. Hopefully he gets some chances, with Norv here he just might, unlike the previous two coaches who seemed to mini-tackles at tight ends.
Don't understand your logic behind Diggs being the 2nd best player at his position when you haven't watched him play in a legit game and Pruitt already is the 2nd best player at the TE position so that's not saying much. That same GM that you always make digs at drafted these two guys you're now praising right? In the 5th round no less. He must be doing something right.....
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Don't understand your logic behind Diggs being the 2nd best player at his position when you haven't watched him play in a legit game and Pruitt already is the 2nd best player at the TE position so that's not saying much. That same GM that you always make digs at drafted these two guys you're now praising right? In the 5th round no less. He must be doing something right.....
He also put together the other under achieving players behind them. Maybe he's learning? Let's hope so. Competent coaches should help make up for his lack of competence.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

5.143 Vikings select TE- MyCole Pruitt Southern Illinois

Post by DK Sweets »

Demi wrote:He also put together the other under achieving players behind them. Maybe he's learning? Let's hope so. Competent coaches should help make up for his lack of competence.
Using that logic, the previous incompetent coaching undermined Spielman's competence.

I don't want to get involved in this too deeply, but that argument is nothing but bias confirmation and leads to little more than a chicken/egg debate.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

DK Sweets wrote:Using that logic, the previous incompetent coaching undermined Spielman's competence.

I don't want to get involved in this too deeply, but that argument is nothing but bias confirmation and leads to little more than a chicken/egg debate.
Agreed!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Don't understand your logic behind Diggs being the 2nd best player at his position when you haven't watched him play in a legit game and Pruitt already is the 2nd best player at the TE position so that's not saying much. That same GM that you always make digs at drafted these two guys you're now praising right? In the 5th round no less. He must be doing something right.....
He stood up with perfect technique in the first game. Went second level in the scheme and helped McKinnon get that long run.

So IMO his blocking is close to Ellison. He made a touchdown on the one chance he had...The Steeler's,are not a scrub team.
Chase Ford blew a catch, and the ball was intercepted. Yeah it's early but I would rather have a TE, that score touchdowns
;than one that creates INT's against our QB, for the other team. I think Ford is pretty good normally, as an offensive TE. From what I
have seen and heard; Pruitt can do both jobs well. IMO that makes Pruitt a better fit for the 53.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

jackal wrote: He stood up with perfect technique in the first game. Went second level in the scheme and helped McKinnon get that long run.

So IMO his blocking is close to Ellison. He made a touchdown on the one chance he had...The Steeler's,are not a scrub team.
Chase Ford blew a catch, and the ball was intercepted. Yeah it's early but I would rather have a TE, that score touchdowns
;than one that creates INT's against our QB, for the other team. I think Ford is pretty good normally, as an offensive TE. From what I
have seen and heard; Pruitt can do both jobs well. IMO that makes Pruitt a better fit for the 53.
Well Pruitt is making the team no matter what. It comes down to, what comes after Pruitt. My guess is Ellison simply because of his blocking and ability to play FB if needed. For is another Rudolph/Pruitt that is more of a playmaker than a blocker so he's the odd man out IMO.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Well Pruitt is making the team no matter what. It comes down to, what comes after Pruitt. My guess is Ellison simply because of his blocking and ability to play FB if needed. For is another Rudolph/Pruitt that is more of a playmaker than a blocker so he's the odd man out IMO.
My guess is that Pruitt and Ellison make it no matter what. I would view Ford as competing for a roster spot with Line more than I would view it as competing with Ellison.