5.143 Vikings select TE- MyCole Pruitt Southern Illinois

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 5.143 Vikings select TE- MyCole Pruitt Southern Illinois

Post by The Breeze »

mondry wrote:Rudolph still has a ton of talent, he just has to stay healthy. The last time he did he made the probowl with Ponder at QB and went on to win probowl MVP. I wouldn't write him off just yet, maybe he'll get hurt again and if he does have a significant injury maybe he will be on his way out. But their are plenty of 2 tight end sets that can be used with Pruitt so they can still co-exist.
I definitely agree that the two of them would be great and Rudolph has lots of talent...but wasn't hat probowl year his rookie season?
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

The Breeze wrote:I definitely agree that the two of them would be great and Rudolph has lots of talent...but wasn't hat probowl year his rookie season?
Nope, it was his second year in the league.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

DK Sweets wrote:Nope, it was his second year in the league.
thanks.....lets hope he can return to form.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

The Breeze wrote: I definitely agree that the two of them would be great and Rudolph has lots of talent...but wasn't hat probowl year his rookie season?
It was his 2nd season when he was one of 3 players that played hard in the pro bowl. Remember 2 hand touch?
I am a fan of Wins... If the Vikings put the product out there that gets it done, I'm happy. I just see too many games where Rudolph is not impactful. He could be a younger Jason Witten, but instead he's ?? On the DL. Ford proved that he can play the position. Add a middle stretching TE like Pruitt and you can see how Rudolph is over paid.
Rudolph has a ton of potential and is really good when on the field, but if Ford and Pruitt can put Cameron and Gates type of talent and numbers up, then why keep the hefty salary?
This could be a prove it or lose it season for Rudolph !
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

IIsweet wrote:
It was his 2nd season when he was one of 3 players that played hard in the pro bowl. Remember 2 hand touch?
I am a fan of Wins... If the Vikings put the product out there that gets it done, I'm happy. I just see too many games where Rudolph is not impactful. He could be a younger Jason Witten, but instead he's ?? On the DL. Ford proved that he can play the position. Add a middle stretching TE like Pruitt and you can see how Rudolph is over paid.
Rudolph has a ton of potential and is really good when on the field, but if Ford and Pruitt can put Cameron and Gates type of talent and numbers up, then why keep the hefty salary?
This could be a prove it or lose it season for Rudolph !
I think so too.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I think a lot of fans really over value Ford. He is better than we expected, but at no point did he look like a guy that could be a top-tier starter to me.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

DK Sweets wrote:I think a lot of fans really over value Ford. He is better than we expected, but at no point did he look like a guy that could be a top-tier starter to me.
Top tier may be a stretch at this point, but i actually think he is undervalued. He isn't Tony Gonzalez, but he is better than what some think, imo.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

5.143 Vikings select TE- MyCole Pruitt Southern Illinois

Post by DK Sweets »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Top tier may be a stretch at this point, but i actually think he is undervalued. He isn't Tony Gonzalez, but he is better than what some think, imo.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
See, I keep seeing people post things like that, and I feel his "undervalued" status has hyped him past his actual value. He performed better than I expected, but I didn't feel like he did anything that the average guy in the league couldn't do.

I understand this is a big "if", but I think if Kyle is healthy, he is much better. I don't think Ford will be as good as Visanthe Shiancoe, Jim Kleinsasser, or Jermaine Wiggins...and none of those guys were exceptional. I think Ford played well enough last year, but I see nothing more than a solid backup out of him.
LuckyHandsINC
Waterboy

Post by LuckyHandsINC »

DK Sweets wrote:See, I keep seeing people post things like that, and I feel his "undervalued" status has hyped him past his actual value. He performed better than I expected, but I didn't feel like he did anything that the average guy in the league couldn't do.

I understand this is a big "if", but I think if Kyle is healthy, he is much better. I don't think Ford will be as good as Visanthe Shiancoe, Jim Kleinsasser, or Jermaine Wiggins...and none of those guys were exceptional. I think Ford played well enough last year, but I see nothing more than a solid backup out of him.
Totally agree about chase ford. I don't really view him as a part of this teams future.

He had a chance last year to run away with the receiving duties at the tight end spot, but couldn't.

Honestly the only way I see him making the roster this year is if, Ellison is used in the rare occasions we use a fullback, and ford can take line's roster spot.
LuckyHandsINC
Waterboy

Post by LuckyHandsINC »

Also agree that the gap between a healthy Rudoplh(fingers crossed) and Chase Ford is huge. Not even close, no comparison.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I agree but how long do you pay a hefty salary for 1/2 a season ?
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

IIsweet wrote:I agree but how long do you pay a hefty salary for 1/2 a season ?
Wait... are we talking about whether Rudolph is worth his contract, whether Rudolph is better than Ford, or if Ford is over/undervalued?

And in your last post you insinuated Ford and Pruitt could put up Cameron and Gates type numbers! If you agree that Rudolph is better than those guys when healthy, how good do you think he is?!

This conversation is a mess haha
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

My problem with Rudolf and his contract is how the circumstances evolved

Rudolf in my memory has always been able to play at high level...
He also has been hurt IMO more than he has been healthy...
Why give a guy a huge contract who misses so many games ?

If so make the contract safe for the team based on games played to some extent.

Back to Topic

Mycole Pruitt is a more complete type TE than Ford (due to blocking)(and maybe pass catching and route running)

Ellison is the better blocker and less of a threat IMO than Pruitt...

Im guessing Pruitt earns a special teams spot or bumps Ford ...

Bostick might be the odd man out now as well..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

DK Sweets wrote: This conversation is a mess haha
(Belated) Welcome to Vikingsmessageboard!
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

I wouldn't give up on Chase Ford just yet. At 6'6" he's got the size and athleticism you like to see at TE. He had a breakout game at the end of the 2013 season against Detroit with 5 receptions. After seeing his performance in that game I thought we might have found a guy to pair with Rudolph in our two TE sets that would create a matchup nightmare. Unfortunately he missed all of training camp last year and the first few weeks of the season recovering from a fracture in his foot. That put him behind the 8 ball trying to learn Norv's system without getting any reps. And it wasn't like last year was a disaster as he was targeted just 33 times, had 23 receptions and only 1 drop. He was an UDFA with limited playing time at Miami so it's to be expected he would need time to develop. And if all he amounts to is a solid backup ... well ... given that he's an UDFA that would be exceeding expectations.

As for Pruitt ... I'm skeptical of most guys coming out of small school programs. Not sure why anyone would think Pruitt is a better prospect than Ford at this point in time.