3.88 Vikings select DE- Danielle Hunter LSU

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

3.88 Vikings select DE- Danielle Hunter LSU

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings selected LSU DE Danielle Hunter with the No. 88 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.
Hunter (6'5/252) made 23 starts in Baton Rouge, managing 4.5 career sacks, 21 TFLs, and two forced fumbles. He didn't even earn honorable mention All SEC in 2014, yet declared for the draft. Hunter still oozes upside based on length and athleticism. He has freakish 34 1/4-inch arms and eviscerated the pre-draft phase, running 4.57 with a mind-blowing 10-foot-10 broad jump and 36 1/2-inch vertical. Hunter's motor isn't in question, but his pass-rush repertoire is quite limited and he may require hard coaching to maximize his potential. For that, Mike Zimmer will be a good fit. Not yet 21 years old, Hunter is a boom-or-bust prospect with upside.
Kind of a "meh" pick. This dude is a freak but just very raw. Something Zimmer could coach up. However, I really wanted Tre Jackson right there. Maybe he will fall to the 4th for us.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 3.88 Vikings select DE- Danielle Hunter LSU

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I hate picks like this. But I love picks 1 and 2 so ...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Read this. Will maybe make you feel better. He's a "Force" player. Extremely raw but oozes upside.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/5 ... 2015-draft
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

He's also not even 21 yet.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
AllDay
Rookie

Post by AllDay »

Interesting pick.

It's getting decent grades:

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades3.php
sneaxsneax
Veteran

Post by sneaxsneax »

My problem with this pick is that DE seems to be one of the few positions where we don't really need anyone. I mean you can upgrade Robison but this guy isn't going to do that, at least not yet. Would have preferred us take an offensive lineman.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Bleh. 1 out of 3. Lets hope we can get some good players in the late round. I really cant see what they saw in Hunter. C-
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

sneaxsneax wrote:My problem with this pick is that DE seems to be one of the few positions where we don't really need anyone. I mean you can upgrade Robison but this guy isn't going to do that, at least not yet. Would have preferred us take an offensive lineman.
I hear ya but at the same time, we have Robison as our starter and Crichton that can hopefully fill in at times so Hunter can be given a year or two to develop. Everson Griffen was a 4th rounder that need a few years and now look at him. Hunter's motor and work ethic sounds very similar to Everson.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Xivios
Practice Squad

Post by Xivios »

Everything for D, Nothing for Bridgewater?! By now, I do not like that pick. The Offense does need more support, the basic of that is the O-Line. For Bridgewater, Peterson and Turner.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The guy can be JPP from the Giants if given time ...

I think next year we are a top seven defense against points
top ten overall defense

last year we moved up a lot ... This year will be even
better.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@GoesslingESPN: Danielle Hunter said he got his start in football in 5th grade. Was chasing a kid on skates -- and caught him. Kid's dad was a FB coach.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Quick, someone phone Zimmer and tell him we also have to play offense this season!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Maybe Rick will make a run on TE's with the remaining picks.
liquid_mojo
Veteran

Post by liquid_mojo »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Everson Griffen was a 4th rounder that need a few years and now look at him. Hunter's motor and work ethic sounds very similar to Everson.
This was my line of thinking on this pick as well, this is a long term pick for the franchise trying to keep the home grown DE pipeline stocked.
Xivios wrote: Everything for D, Nothing for Bridgewater?! By now, I do not like that pick. The Offense does need more support, the basic of that is the O-Line. For Bridgewater, Peterson and Turner.
The way this draft is trending I wonder if it tells us anything about the level of confidence the coaching staff/front office have in Charles Johnson filling a large role for Teddy next season??

I do agreed with the need for o-line help, but I also wonder if the staff is hoping that having Adrian back on the field will help to mask some of those deficiencies that became more prominent in his abcense last season?

I'm hoping at least a few of our cache of day three picks to get spent on o-line prospects.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

http://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2015/4 ... 1430111090

This kid has lots of upside, but pretty "raw" I will be anxious to see how this turns out.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.