3.88 Vikings select DE- Danielle Hunter LSU

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 3.88 Vikings select DE- Danielle Hunter LSU

Post by dead_poet »

Mike Zimmer Has Already Threatened to Maim Danielle Hunter

http://thevikingage.com/2015/05/10/mike ... le-hunter/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

What we've learned about the rookies: Defensive end Danielle Hunter
"You watch his work out at the pro day," Spielman said. "He's an incredible athlete when we put him through drops and coverage. He is an Anthony Barr-type athlete, maybe not as fluid, but has the ability to do a lot of different things depending on how he develops and where our coaches see him."
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/What ... nter052015
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:What we've learned about the rookies: Defensive end Danielle Hunter
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/What ... nter052015
It is fun to imagine that 9 on the line defense if Hunter pans out

just for example...

Rhodes, Barr, Griffin, Floyd, Kendricks, Joseph, Mays, Hunter, Waynes

read another way

CB, LB/DE, LB/DE, DT, LB, DT, S/LB, LB/DE. CB

Hard to get a pre-snap read against that kind of versatility.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Watching highlights, Hunter reminds me of a lion. :smilevike:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Demi wrote:Watching highlights, Hunter reminds me of a lion. :smilevike:
Not a tiger? 8)
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Not a tiger? 8)
Somebody had to say it.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

fiestavike wrote: Somebody had to say it.
Yeah, maybe if he had gone to Penn State :lol:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

There's a nice article about Hunter on the Star Tribune site today:

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-rook ... 304658821/
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:There's a nice article about Hunter on the Star Tribune site today:

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-rook ... 304658821/
Nice. Definitely a project, but the good news is he seems to be in capable hands and is only 20 years old (20!). While the article says he projects as a rush right end, I wonder if he doesn't have some left-end capabilities and it seems as though the route to consistent playing time in the next couple of seasons seems to be at that position rather than Griffen's RDE, though we know Zimmer loves his rotations. Barring injury I wonder if he'll be relegated to special teams early on a la Griffen's early days.

It'll be interesting to watch his development. Seems like a good kid.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote: Nice. Definitely a project, but the good news is he seems to be in capable hands and is only 20 years old (20!). While the article says he projects as a rush right end, I wonder if he doesn't have some left-end capabilities and it seems as though the route to consistent playing time in the next couple of seasons seems to be at that position rather than Griffen's RDE, though we know Zimmer loves his rotations. Barring injury I wonder if he'll be relegated to special teams early on a la Griffen's early days.

I like what he said about putting pads on for the first time: feeling invincible, like he should tackle a tree! He felt like he'd found his calling in life.

Also: Zimmer's comments on his drafting preferences. He prefers athletic, potential home-run types of projects instead of "steady eddies".
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: Nice. Definitely a project, but the good news is he seems to be in capable hands and is only 20 years old (20!). While the article says he projects as a rush right end, I wonder if he doesn't have some left-end capabilities and it seems as though the route to consistent playing time in the next couple of seasons seems to be at that position rather than Griffen's RDE, though we know Zimmer loves his rotations. Barring injury I wonder if he'll be relegated to special teams early on a la Griffen's early days.

It sounds like they're open to lots of options with him depending how he develops. Comparisons to Anthony Barr I think leave open the possibility of even putting him in at LB.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

fiestavike wrote: It sounds like they're open to lots of options with him depending how he develops. Comparisons to Anthony Barr I think leave open the possibility of even putting him in at LB.
Hunter said in interview with PA, when asked about whether he is a DE or an OLB that the goal this offseason is to put on weight and play DE...Not unexpected but worthy of note.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I'm hoping he comes in at pass rush downs.. Robison always seems a day late and a dollar short
for a sack unless he gets pinned in from the inside pass rush or Griffen runs the QB to him IMO.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

jackal wrote:I'm hoping he comes in at pass rush downs.. Robison always seems a day late and a dollar short
for a sack unless he gets pinned in from the inside pass rush or Griffen runs the QB to him IMO.
You want the guy who had issues getting sacks in college to come in on pass rush downs instead of a guy who (with the exception of last year) has been a perennial top 15 DE in terms of sacks?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

You want the guy who had issues getting sacks in college to come in on pass rush downs instead of a guy who (with the exception of last year) has been a perennial top 15 DE in terms of sacks?
IMO, most of Robison sacks are as a result of Griffen, or someone else collapsing the pocket. Robison then gets a QB, who half fallen over or worse.
He just does not create a lot of pressure, on his own IMO. I honestly thought Crighton from Oregon State, would be pushing him for time, but seems
to not be a favorite of the staff, at all.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!