3.88 Vikings select DE- Danielle Hunter LSU

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 3.88 Vikings select DE- Danielle Hunter LSU

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Funkytown wrote: From today:

Vikings rookie defensive end Hunter molding 'raw' talent by Master Tesfatsion

Link: http://www.startribune.com/vikings-de-d ... 311003621/
Mahalo Funk.

His arms are bigger than my waist. :shock:
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think that is length and not width...

He is very ripped though...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

jackal wrote:I think that is length and not width...

He is very ripped though...
doh!
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings coach MIke Zimmer says rookie defensive end Danielle Hunter a lot less raw than thought

http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/201 ... w-thought/
Vikings defensive line coach Andre Patterson certainly believes in Hunter. Patterson, who met Hunter for the first time earlier this year when the coach went to Arizona State pro day and Hunter was working out in the Phoenix area, has raved about the defensive end.

“He was just telling me (during a practice) I got speed and that nobody can handle it and if I could use that all the time, I’d be unstoppable,’’ Hunter said. “He believes in me and I believe in him and I’m going to give him everything I got.’’
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I hope this guy is a lightning rod for us, this year.. When the Giants won the Superbowl's there
lines were fresh all game and applied so much pressure to Brady ...

Most Quarterbacks make mistakes when they are under pressure, and their mechanics are
off. Hopefully Harrison, Waynes, Barr, Kendricks, Exum, Cole, and Rhodes all get multiple picks off
QB pressure, this year.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I really wish I could see this guy in camp in person. I'm really starting to get excited about him.

Danielle Hunter May Contribute Sooner Than Expected
As it stands now, Hunter is the youngest player on the Vikings' roster. . .he's only 20 years old and won't turn 21 until late October. A lot of people, myself included, weren't expecting a whole lot from him this season. That he might be ready to contribute already says a lot about both the scouting staff of the Minnesota Vikings and a coaching staff that already appears to be light years ahead of previous regimes when it comes to player development.
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/7/31/ ... n-expected
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Should be starting over Robison...
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Should be starting over Robison...
Sounds like Crighton and Hunter are going to rotate in at RDE and LDE
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings' rookie DE Hunter proving to be an XXL surprise

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-rook ... 320841711/\
Griffen raves about his new teammate.

“Long, physical, long arms,” he said. “Oh my, like give me one more inch in my arms. Whatever that kid wants to do, like I always tell him, he can do.”
Does anyone have any Vines or vids of him in camp?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings continue to push for progress with rookie Hunter as a pass rusher
“He’s had some good rushes and he has not-so-good rushes,” Zimmer said.

Zimmer said that inexperienced pass rushers can get discouraged when the moves they are being taught in practice don’t translate to games. And as a result, they stick with what has worked instead of evolving.

“A lot of times young guys come in and if they don’t have success right away, they try something else. Then they try something else. Then they try something else. And consequently, they don’t get good at one thing,” Zimmer said. “You get good at one thing then progress to the next thing.”

At 20, Hunter is the youngest guy on the team. So if he takes to what Zimmer is teaching him, he has plenty of room for growth as a pass rusher.
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-cont ... 322191901/
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

yeah he is so young ..he can learn for two years and still have a long career
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Why should he "start over Robison" when he is only 20, extremely raw, and has hardly spent any time in this defense??? Good idea though :roll:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

From what I've read so far, Hunter is surprisingly solid in run support and containing edge rushers given his position change from fullback in college and lack of DE experience, but tentative in his pass rush. I guess he still thinks too much or something and doesn't shed his block quickly enough or something. Considering his speed and explosiveness, though, it's hard to imagine him not becoming a beast in a year or so.

If Creighton weren't hurt, though, it'd be a tougher call to see who should start. It's especially tough at this stage of the year given how little the current starters have actually played compared to the kids. If Robison has stepped up his game, he's probably going to make fewer dumb mistakes.
-Rus
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Rus wrote:From what I've read so far, Hunter is surprisingly solid in run support and containing edge rushers given his position change from fullback in college and lack of DE experience, but tentative in his pass rush. I guess he still thinks too much or something and doesn't shed his block quickly enough or something. Considering his speed and explosiveness, though, it's hard to imagine him not becoming a beast in a year or so.

If Creighton weren't hurt, though, it'd be a tougher call to see who should start. It's especially tough at this stage of the year given how little the current starters have actually played compared to the kids. If Robison has stepped up his game, he's probably going to make fewer dumb mistakes.
During the TB game they had a great shot of Everson trying to coach him up on how to use his length and hand placement as a pass rusher. I'd love to see him just practice that one move over and over again all preseason. He could be such a weapon.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@PFF Danielle Hunter has 10 total pressures so far in preseason. Had just 14 all last year at LSU #FastLearner