NFL's Best GMs 2015

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

NFL's Best GMs 2015

Post by dead_poet »

Rick moves from #24-#15
15. Rick Spielman, Vikings
Last Year’s Ranking: 24

Rick Spielman is an ideas man. They’re not always good, but simply elevating yourself from the groupthink can be half the battle as an NFL general manager. Spielman’s latest big idea, trading up for Teddy Bridgewater, could be a franchise changer. For what Bridgewater lacks in arm strength — which is a lot — he makes up for it in precision. That, coupled with excellent coaching hire Mike Zimmer has not only saved Spielman’s job, but put the Vikings on a competitive course in the cutthroat NFC North. Spielman’s gaffes have been plenty, with none more crippling than 2011’s reach for Christian Ponder. Even with that debacle corrected, Spielman still has plenty of headaches to work through. Matt Kalil’s regression and Cordarrelle Patterson’s lack of progression come to mind. But if Spielman is an ideas man, he’s also a ducker and dodger
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/5 ... -2015?pg=2
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: NFL's Best GMs 2015

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:Rick moves from #24-#15
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/5 ... -2015?pg=2
These things all tend to be "chicken and egg" type of situations and are difficult to sort out. Is the lack of progression on the GM or the previous coaches or a combination of both? I do think Spielman's latest idea is bigger than trading up for Bridgewater. I think the increased value he places of 1st round picks given the low contracts and the extra year has him a step ahead of the league. Some of those picks, like Patterson, remain a questionmark.

Speaking of which, I know the trend is to say draft classes should be evaluated in 3 years, but that's incorrect IMO. Draft classes should be evaluated immediately. Scouting departments should be evaluated in 3 years. Not all good decisions or good values pan out. to use a poker analogy, having Aces in the hole doesn't mean you are going to win the hand, but it means that it is a good time to get your money in. Over time you want to "get your money in" on players who are perceived to be a good value at the slot you are taking them. If over time you find that these players consistently aren't working out, thats a problem with your scouting department, but not with your selections.

Or another analogy, if your basketball team is shooting a high percentage, that's less important over time than if they are taking high percentage shots. its hard to sustain that high percentage if they are getting away with taking low percentage shots and making them. Thus to have sustained success, the shot should be judged by whether it is a good shot, not by whether or not in goes in. Same with drafting.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Very solid analysis, fiestavike.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

DK Sweets wrote:Very solid analysis, fiestavike.
Thanks, I know its kind of splitting hairs, but I thought it was a point worth making.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins