Most interesting backups and longshots

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Most interesting backups and longshots

Post by fiestavike »

I am down sick today so I thought I'd put together this little post about some of the intriguing longshots currently on the Vikings roster. These are the kind of guys likely to disappear before the season starts, but if one of two pan out, even at a level of merely competent, they can really improve the depth on your team. Guys like Charles Johnson, Shamar Stephen and Tom Johnson, not to mention Audie Cole and Adam Thielen made significant contributions last year. Who might be able to do the same this year? Nothing ground breaking here, but I wanted to put all this in one place for you all to consider and enjoy.

1. Aiyegbusi, Babatunde OL 6-9 351 26 0 No College

if by some chance this guy can catch on quickly, it could be an all time great NFL story. Plenty said about him elsewhere so we'll leave this one short.

2. Anunoby, Chigbo DT 6-4 324 26 1 Morehouse

Another longshot, cut from redskins and titans after being signed as undrafted FA, he's been scuffling to find a place in the league for a couple years. He is older but has a promising build.

here is an old scouting report on him
"Morehouse DL Chigbo Anunoby had a very impressive performance Wednesday afternoon. The 6-4, 324-pound lineman was an absolute bear to move inside vs. the run. He fired off the football low, showcased natural anchor strength and the type of power/balance to extend his arms and fend off blocks inside. However, even more impressive was his overall ball awareness. The guy consistently was flowing toward the action and really did a nice job locating the ball quickly. As a pass rusher he also displayed a little more short-area quickness than you would expect for a guy his size, doing a nice job a couple times working an arm over and side stepping a block off the ball, while also pushing the pocket as a bull rusher.Now, he’s never going to be a “plus” pass rusher in the NFL. However, he’s a strong, long kid with a really well-proportioned frame who can anchor inside and certainly has the talent to get plenty of looks from both 34 and 43 teamsas a developmental big body.”
http://vikingsterritory.com/2015/analys ... eon-mackey

3. Bykowski, Carter T 6-7 306 24 1 Iowa State

"Back during the lead-up to the draft, Gil Brandt thought Bykowski's size along could be enough to get him selected as early as the fourth round (h/t Dylan DeSimone). Bykowski measured in at the NFL Combine at 6'7 306 pounds, with 33 3/4 length arms. He joins Marquardt and Joe Staley as guys who were originally recruited to college as tight ends, before converting out to offensive tackle. Bykowski was a 245-pound tight end as a freshman, but then put on 60 pounds to move to the offensive line. I can't even imagine the kind of food and protein shakes he had to consume to do that.

I took a look at some scouting reports (Draft Insider, FF Toolbox, ESPN Insider), and it sounds like he has done a good job learning the technique at offensive tackle. It sounds like his foot speed could use some work, so that will be something to pay attention to when he gets into preseason games next month. He is still relatively new to the position and will have to further develop that technique at the speed of the NFL game."
http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/7/8/45 ... i-90-in-90

4. Carter, Jalil CB 6-1 205 25 1 Akron

Carter is a bit of a speed demon, having run a 4.38 40-yard dash at his Pro Day, but without a lot of other physical traits (after adjusting for weight) to his name. Average-to-below average agility means he may be better suited to outside coverage (and at 6’1″ it’s possible), though the Vikings may simply be interested in his kick returning. There aren’t a lot of scouting reports on Carter out there because he declared for the draft as a receiver, and that’s what the Rams signed him as in 2011—not something he did in the CFL or evidently with the Vikings. Definitely someone to look at later and get a better picture.

http://vikingsterritory.com/2015/transa ... tures-deal

5. Crichton, Scott DE 6-3 273 23 0 Oregon St.

The Vikings have gotten major contributions from a few members of their 2014 draft class. But defensive end Scott Crichton, one of their two third-round picks, is not one of those busy rookies.

Crichton has been active for only five games, playing 16 total snaps on defense. In last weekend’s win over the New York Jets, he was inactive again, as the Vikings opted to promote fellow defensive end Justin Trattou from the practice squad and activate him instead.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 76691.html

6. Dixon, Ahmad S 6-0 210 23 0 Baylor

STRENGTHS Very good size and straight-line speed. Is aggressive stepping downhill and supporting the run. Closes fast to the ball. Secure, wrap tackler. Takes efficient angles and is a reliable last line of defense. Good backside chase pursuit. Solid special-teams potential.

WEAKNESSES Very tight in the hips. Straight-linish. Pedals tall and is late transitioning. Average recovery speed. Limited cover skills and awareness. Marginal ball skills and small, shaky hands (four career INTs in three seasons as a starter). Very average football IQ; takes an extra tick to sort out routes and digest what he sees. Narrow vision. Limited agility and change of direction in man coverage. See-and-go reactor -- not instant or anticipatory diagnosing. Not a forceful tackler or explosive hitter. Posted worst vertical jump (32 inches), broad jump (9 feet, 2 inches) and three-cone drill (7.55 seconds) among defensive backs at the combine. Cleared of charges, but September assault incident requires closer look.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543696

7. Exum Jr., Antone S 6-0 219 24 0 Virginia Tech

DRAFT ANALYSIS:
"Exum is a well-built individual, and showed good fluidity in pass coverage and also an ability to track the ball well. Exum was a highly regarded player two years ago, but suffered a knee injury playing basketball in January of 2013. Exum came back to play in the 2013 season, but only played in three games and did not play at the same level as the previous season." -- Gil Brandt
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543680

8. Faciane, Isame DT 6-4 302 23 0 Florida International

Like many of the undrafted free agents, it’s not easy to find information on him, though defensive line coach Andre Patterson, who worked with him at Florida International, has no shortage of praise for him.

As a defensive line coach who has worked with the Vikings in 1998 and 1999, as well as the Patriots (1997), Cowboys (2000-2002), Browns (2003-2004) and Broncos (2005-2006) it means a lot that he called Faciane among the “top ten percent of defensive linemen” he’s ever worked with.
http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/genera ... or-success

9. Foster, Donte WR 6-1 193 24 0 Ohio

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Rare leaping ability -- has a 42-inch vertical. Can make spectacular, one-handed grabs. Nice agility, as evidenced by 6.79-second 3-cone drill. Lined up inside and outside. Intelligent. Solid personal and football character. Team captain.

WEAKNESSES Needs to bulk up and get functionally stronger -- too easily jammed and re-routed off the line. Route running needs work. Lets throws into his body. Out-muscled in a crowd. Average production. Disappears for stretches -- was held to 64 yards or less in six games as a senior. Underpowered blocker.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2549964

10. Harris, DuJuan RB 5-8 203 26 3 Troy

A restricted free agent, Harris wasn't tendered a contract by the Pack. An MJD-esque 5-foot-8, 203 pounds, Harris has always offered bowling-ball appeal as a change-of-pace back, but has had trouble with injuries. Especially if the Vikings keep Adrian Peterson, Harris is going to have a hard time cracking Minnesota's crowded backfield
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6837/dujuan-harris

11. Josey, Henry RB 5-10 190 23 0 Missouri

The 5-foot-10, 194-pound running back starred at Missouri, rushing for 1,168 yards and a staggering 8.1-yards per carry as a sophomore in 2011 before a devastating injury -- ACL, patella tendon and meniscus tears in his left knee -- ended his season.

"I'm healthy now," Josey said. "Coming back from that was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life."
http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_27 ... enry-josey

12. Kaddu, Josh LB 6-3 252 25 3 Oregon

Kaddu's strength is sideline-to-sideline. He's not a cover linebacker, but he will get to a running back and he can get after a quarterback. He performed well as a strong side linebacker at Oregon, and could be looking to be the primary reserve behind Misi, Dannell Ellerbe, and Philip Wheeler. However, in every scouting report about him last year, as well as some of them about this upcoming year, there is a comment about him being used as a 3-4 rush linebacker, rather than a true 4-3 outside linebacker. It will be interesting to see if the Dolphins look to use Kaddu as a defensive end/linebacker hybrid this year, along with former Oregon teammate, and 2013 first round pick, Dion Jordan.
http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/6/1/43 ... josh-kaddu

13. Kafka, Mike QB 6-3 225 27 3 Northwestern

But Northwestern fans will recognize someone else: Mike Kafka, who really stood out according to NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah.

"Mike Kafka was around with the Philadelphia Eagles," Jeremiah said. "I’ve never seen him throw it as well as he did on the field here today."

Jeremiah thinks the performance was strong enough for Kafka to perhaps earn a spot on a 90-man roster as 2015-2016 NFL rosters begin to fill in.
http://www.insidenu.com/2015/3/23/82795 ... an-combine

14. Line, Zach FB 6-1 233 24 2 SMU

Line played 16 snaps on offense in Week 1; 27 in Week 2; 25 in Week 3. He knew he did not execute every play perfectly. But this was an imperfect situation—a rookie who’d been a college tailback replacing a Pro Bowl fullback. Line worked to accelerate his learning curve, spending hours studying film of how opposing linebackers take on blocks, and trying to understand the chemistry Felton had with Peterson during his 2,097-yard rushing campaign. Peterson instructed Line to make quicker reads, to allow him to burst through the hole. Line had been a preseason darling, scoring a 61-yard touchdown on his first NFL touch, but blocking for the MVP when the games counted was a another stratum altogether.
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/25/zach-line ... d-reserve/

15. Mackey, Leon DE 6-5 260 26 0 Texas Tech

“[I’m] excited for him to get a chance,” he told me. “[Mackey] was one of our most crucial guys down the stretch, learned a lot from our vets and got sacks in playoff games including the ArenaBowl.”

“[Mackey has] good speed and long arms at his size; his biggest strength is his swim move. Bends edge and stops to move back inside. Would make a move at least once per practice that made the other players ‘Ooh’,” he said. “As clean of character as you can imagine: took in all coaching he got and personally thanked interns.”
http://vikingsterritory.com/2015/analys ... eon-mackey

16. Otten, Ryan TE 6-6 241 25 1 San Jose State

STRENGTHS Tough matchup inside, using his height and toughness to box out defenders. Strong hands grasp most any throw in his area. After the catch, he shows enough agility to turn upfield quickly, churns his legs to run through arm tackles, and is willing to lower a shoulder to get the extra yard. Often used on bootlegs, will sit down in space, using his height and long arms make him a nice target for quarterbacks to find between the hashes. High effort blocker.

WEAKNESSES Lacks adequete bulk at the position. Won’t challenge the quickness of NFL defenders by exploding from a stand-up position or three-point stance. Possesses just average straight-line speed, limiting his upside as a vertical threat. Comes of the ball too slow and too high as a blocker. Doesn't have the foot speed or flexibility to win many blocking battles.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2539302

17. Peters, Brian LB 6-4 220 26 0 Northwestern

The Vikings have added a defender with safety and linebacker experience to their 90-player roster.

Minnesota has signed Brian Peters, who spent the last two seasons with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League.

The 27-year-old Peters played linebacker for Saskatchewan last season, recording 78 tackles, three sacks and two interceptions. However, Peters (6-3, 218) was a safety at Northwestern from 2007-2011, recording 11 interceptions.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... an-peters/

18. Rayford, Caesar DE 6-7 285 29 2 Washington

While Chris Borland was announcing his retirement from the NFL last week, Caesar Rayford was making a little statement of his own.

The former Bethel High and University of Washington defensive lineman was one of 105 players who took part Sunday in the NFL’s first veteran combine.

“I’m a defensive lineman for hire,’’ said Rayford, who spent part of the 2013 season in the NFL. “Just trying to make my way.’’

That was really the only statement Rayford wanted to make by coming here and spending two hours at the Arizona Cardinals’ practice facility running 40-yard dashes, cone drills and pass-rush exercises in front of dozens of NFL scouts.

But the NFL was also happy if the presence of Rayford and the rest who were here sent another message — that for every Borland, who retired this week after one year with the 49ers saying he had concerns about the game’s impact on his long-term health, there remain thousands of others who will happily play until their jersey is ripped off their back.
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-h ... n-the-nfl/

19. Richardson, Antonio T 6-6 330 23 0 Tennessee

STRENGTHS Looks the part with long arms and outstanding overall size and mass to cover up defenders in the run game and generate a push. Good strength to anchor vs. power and possesses enough brute strength to hold his ground even when he locks his legs. Is not easily moved and can position-sustain. Bends fairly well for as big as he is and is agile enough to handle speed.

WEAKNESSES Is not a finisher and carries underachiever tendencies, displaying inconsistent effort and technique. Rises out of his stance and relies too much on his natural power, letting defenders walk him back. Plays too passively and gives more ground than he should. Is late to reach the second level and gives up instead of peeling back to pick off another defender. Hand use is very raw -- not active and does not replace. Could require some time to assimilate a playbook.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 2-3
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543508

20. Van Dyke, DeMarcus CB 6-1 187 26 4 Miami

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Van Dyke is blessed with great speed and good height for a corner. Track athlete who can recover when beat and shows good burst to the football. Does a good job defending the deep ball with his length and straight-line speed. Is a good tackler in the open field. Hard-working and durable.

WEAKNESSES Overall defensive back skill set needs polish. Is not overly fluid when asked to turn and run or stick with savvy route-runners. Will drift from his position in zone coverage. Not a real playmaker in terms of coming down with the INT. Not very productive when coming up in run support.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dem ... id=2495244

21. Yankey, David G 6-6 315 23 0 Stanford

"I think that there's a certain level of strength development that we were looking for from him and that's something that will take a little bit of time and he's been working on that," offensive line coach Jeff Davidson said in December. "There's footwork, there's calls, there's communication, there's all the things that, again, each day he goes out here and shows that he's improving each day."
http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/mi ... son-013015
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Most interesting backups and longshots

Post by fiestavike »

Its fun to imagine how improved the team could be if even two of the following came to pass

1. Crichton, Mackey or Rayford improve enough to supplant Robison at LDE

2. Kalil returns to form or is supplanted by Richardson, Babs, or Bykowski

3. Yankey or Harris improve enough to grab and lock down the LG job

4. Dixon, Exum, Brian Peters, Blanton, or Sendejo rise to the occassion to solidify the S position. (exum will be over a year removed from knee injury)

5. Hodges, or Kaddu improve enough to be starter level at weakside. (curious to see if Zim can put Kaddu in position to succeed with his Ht/wt/spd.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Thanks, cool post

I really hope Chrichton can step up this year. He was an early 3rd rounder, he should be able to at least rotate with Robison

Also I think Exum and Jabari Price have a good chance to be real contributors this year
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Thanks, cool post

I really hope Chrichton can step up this year. He was an early 3rd rounder, he should be able to at least rotate with Robison

Also I think Exum and Jabari Price have a good chance to be real contributors this year
That would be great. I'm intrigued by Yankey/harris at LG as well. Harris sounded determined to win that job, and I didn't notice much drop off at RT when he came in for loadholt (even with Vlad next to him).

Also would love to see Kaddu/Hodges grab OLB position by the horns. Zimmer seems to value ht/wt/spd in the front 7 and Kaddu could impress if put in the right situation.

I love that the Vikings haven't thrashed around a lot in FA going for high priced solutions. I think they know they have some decent in house options.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Nice recap.

I am intrigued by Tiny Richardson. He had a 2nd-3rd round grade going into the draft only to go undrafted all because of his knees. We placed him on IR at the end of training camp and he had microfracture surgery on both knees last September. That's still a controversial procedure with somewhat iffy results. If he can get his knees completely healed he's got a chance to replace Kalil (if Kalil continues to regress).
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pseudo Everything wrote:Nice recap.

I am intrigued by Tiny Richardson. He had a 2nd-3rd round grade going into the draft only to go undrafted all because of his knees. We placed him on IR at the end of training camp and he had microfracture surgery on both knees last September. That's still a controversial procedure with somewhat iffy results. If he can get his knees completely healed he's got a chance to replace Kalil (if Kalil continues to regress).
It doesn't look like the Vikings are going to pick up Kalil's option so they are likely planning on moving on from him after this season.

The three likeliest possibilities are ...
1. he continues to struggle and becomes a FA
2. he rebounds to pro bowl form and becomes a FA commanding top dollar
3. he rebounds slightly so as to not be HORRIBLE and becomes a FA signing a small "prove it" contract.

With any of those possibilities, I don't see him on the Vikings after this season, so I expect them to move on from him during this season if at all possible and start developing a longterm solution. Otherwise they are going into next season with a glaring hole at LT. It would be monumental if one of these longshots panned at at LT.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Honestly unless we draft someone for the starting spot I see Harris getting it now...

Based off last year but who knows Yankey was considered a first round talent until he got out of
shape ??

I'm hoping a little just because the guy is such a good story and seems very funny and down to earth...

Babs starting at LG.. Jesus he is so big; its going to take time to get around him...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Yankee didn't get out of shape, he was just not strong enough coming out of college. Whether he fixes that remains to be seen.

Also, if anybody can cite a LG as big as Babs, I would be interested. I've heard many people allude to the fact that guards tend to be shorter to allow the QB more of a view down the field (which in the surface, makes sense) but I wonder if that is more myth than fact. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any guards bigger than 6'5.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

DK Sweets wrote:Also, if anybody can cite a LG as big as Babs, I would be interested. I've heard many people allude to the fact that guards tend to be shorter to allow the QB more of a view down the field (which in the surface, makes sense) but I wonder if that is more myth than fact. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any guards bigger than 6'5.
Robert Gallery is 6'7. I believe the Eagles' Dennis Kelly played some guard (6'8). Doing some quick research I found that there was apparently a guy that tried out for the Rams in 2013 that is/was 6'10/402 (Terrell Brown), though I think he was trying out to be a tackle. I think he was waived/injured before the season. From this site it looks like the average NFL guard is a little taller than 6'3 (and 314 pounds): http://www.besttickets.com/blog/nfl-player-census-2014/

What's interesting about that website is that in 2014 the Vikings were on the lower weight scale but second tallest (though it's incremental to those behind them). Kind of a neat breakdown.

I think this is moot because Babs competing at tackle (RT for the moment). He won't play guard.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

I think Harris will surprise you guys with the amount if carries he gets.

The guy was technically our first taste of an actual running game when he was made the starter during the latter half of the 2012 season, he was something of a fan favorite in GB, and most people were a little confused at how little carries he got last year. I know I was.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Jordysghost wrote:I think Harris will surprise you guys with the amount if carries he gets.

The guy was technically our first taste of an actual running game when he was made the starter during the latter half of the 2012 season, he was something of a fan favorite in GB, and most people were a little confused at how little carries he got last year. I know I was.
McKinnon, Harris and Asiata could well be the plan at RB. Asiata is a great short yardage back, McKinnon has some explosiveness and Harris is a thumper. Its not a bad combo if they can improve the run blocking and revamp the left side of the line they could have great success with that group.

If the trade AP and get, say a late 1st, its fun to imagine adding a starter at each level of the defense with the first 3 picks.

Say, Shelton/Kendricks/Byron Jones
or Waynes/Anthony/Odighizuwa
or Beasley/Dupree/Shaw

I'm just plugging in names I've seen available at these points in the mocks, I'm sure there'd be disagreement about which players are best.

It'd also be great to me to add a couple O linemen in that group of the first 3 picks.

Scherff/Clemmings
La'el Colins/Tomlinson

I really want to see someone who can compete for the starting LT position, to at least give up a backup option. Also would love to see a dominant LG.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: McKinnon, Harris and Asiata could well be the plan at RB. Asiata is a great short yardage back, McKinnon has some explosiveness and Harris is a thumper. Its not a bad combo if they can improve the run blocking and revamp the left side of the line they could have great success with that group.

If the trade AP and get, say a late 1st, its fun to imagine adding a starter at each level of the defense with the first 3 picks.

Say, Shelton/Kendricks/Byron Jones
or Waynes/Anthony/Odighizuwa
or Beasley/Dupree/Shaw

I'm just plugging in names I've seen available at these points in the mocks, I'm sure there'd be disagreement about which players are best.

It'd also be great to me to add a couple O linemen in that group of the first 3 picks.

Scherff/Clemmings
La'el Colins/Tomlinson

I really want to see someone who can compete for the starting LT position, to at least give up a backup option. Also would love to see a dominant LG.
Harris has some wheels on him and he hits the hole fast and hard. Will see how it plays out because I think he is going to be effective mixed in your guys backfield.

Oof. Dont even joke about you guys getting Beazley..
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

Jordysghost wrote: Harris has some wheels on him and he hits the hole fast and hard. Will see how it plays out because I think he is going to be effective mixed in your guys backfield.

Oof. Dont even joke about you guys getting Beazley..
Glad you said that Jordy. Wasn't Bridgewater the only guy you didn't want us to draft last year? Maybe you just inadvertently gave us some good mojo for Beasley. lol
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

mmvikes wrote: Glad you said that Jordy. Wasn't Bridgewater the only guy you didn't want us to draft last year? Maybe you just inadvertently gave us some good mojo for Beasley. lol
:wallbang: that would figure.