PHP's "Pre-Draft" 2015 Mock Offseason

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PHP's "Pre-Draft" 2015 Mock Offseason

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Once again, my addiction to mock off-seasons has struck again. I always say, I'm not saying this is what's going to happen. Some of the following sentences are similar to what I put in my last mocks just to remind fellow fans how these work. Will it be correct, no. I have hit on a decent number of picks over the years (Munnerlyn and Jennings in FA, Patterson, Hodges, Harrison Smith and Floyd (at the time I had us getting Floyd in the 2nd before he shot up draft boards)) but it's next to impossible to ever get these right but I know you guys enjoy the read. I look to assess our current needs as best as I can and keeping it as realistic as possible.

REMEMBER ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!! If I did a mock last year at this time and said we would get Bridgewater and Barr you guys would tear me apart!! :lol:

The Vikings finish 7-9 and receive the 11th overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft

Free Agents Signed-

In House:
-OG Joe Berger
-OT Mike Harris
-RB Matt Asiata
-DT Tom Johnson
-LS Cullen Loeffler

Out of House:
-QB Shaun Hill
-QB Mike Kafka
-RB DuJuan Harris
-TE Brandon Bostick
-OT Babatunde Aiyegbusi
-DE Caesar Rayford
-LB Casey Matthews
-CB Terrence Newman
-SS Taylor Mays
-LS Kevin McDermott

Traded For:
-WR Mike Wallace

THE VIKINGS DECIDE TO TRADE ADRIAN PETERSON AND THEIR 2016 5TH ROUND PICK TO THE ARIZONA CARDINALS FOR THEIR 2015 1ST ROUND PICK (25TH OVERALL)

2015 NFL Draft

TRADE- LOOK FAMILIAR?? The Vikings trade their 1st round pick (11th overall) to the Cleveland Browns for their 1st round pick (12th overall) and their 5th round pick (147th overall) .......Cleveland once again trading up out of desperation.

Round 1 (12th)

CB- Trae Waynes- Michigan St.- Adding Waynes to our defensive backfield will create one of the best CB duo's in the game with Xavier Rhodes already manning one side. Waynes is very similar to Rhodes. He is a taller, more physical CB that has shutdown potential. He's a press-man corner that loves to bump and run. Waynes couldn't be a better fit for Zimmer's system. We could be one of the first teams to have 2 legitimate shutdown corners 8)

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGqHUi6ZsWM

Round 1 (25th) via Arizona

OLB/S- Shaq Thompson- Washington- Many might think we would go RB here but with the depth of this years RB class, we have plenty of patience. As for Thompson, Zimmer and staff have met with him multiple times already and have held a private workout with him. He is a very rangy athletic LB that is a big time playmaker. Adding Barr last year and now Thompson on the weak side, our LB corps will be freakishly athletic on the outside and bad a## in the middle (that pick will be coming soon). Adding Waynes and Thompson this early in the draft already make this defense a top 10 defense in the league.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0di4jhpjcTQ

TRADE- Spielman decides to trade down in order to get more picks. . The Vikings trade their 2nd round pick (45th overall) to the Baltimore Ravens for their 2nd round pick (58th overall) and their 3rd round pick (90th overall)

Round 2 (58th) via Baltimore

RB- Jay Ajayi- Boise St.- The "J-Train"!!!! Ajayi has recently bumped ahead of Tevin Coleman in my RB rankings. Scouts have been raving about him saying that his running style fits perfectly into the NFL. He has a very similar build to Adrian Peterson and carries the ball like Marshawn Lynch. There is no doubt in my mind that he can be a workhorse in the NFL. Similar to a Jeremy Hill of last years draft. He's explosive and runs very powerful. He will be an immediate starter with McKinnon providing 3rd down duties.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUQ4Xy-sVvE ......Check out the highlights!!! Guy has great vision and explosiveness.

Round 3 (76th)

MLB- Paul Dawson- TCU- Zimmer and his staff seem to be a big fan of Dawson's after meeting with him multiple times and conducting a private workout. Dawson will probably see his stock fall due to a poor combine however, it works out well in our favor. He is a very instinctive thumper in the middle that will complete our LB corps for years to come.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3izLFsWGpY

Round 3 (90th) via Baltimore

OG- Ali Marpet- Hobart- Marpet was a big winner at the combine and has been on the rise. However, I think the 3rd round is where his range is right now due to attending small school. Hobart is actually only a few hours from where I live and my best friend played football and lacrosse there a few years back so I have always kept tabs on their program. Marpet looks to be a great fit for Turner's system athletically and schematically. I think he is a great value pick at this point.

Round 4 (110th overall)

S- Damarious Randall- Arizona St.- Randall is another guy that we had a private workout with. He's is a very instinctive safety with great balls skills. He is a very physical run defender even though he is somewhat undersized. He could develop into a solid starter down the road for us.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c11WVHQXrsQ

Round 5 via Buffalo via Tampa Bay (137th overall)

WR- Tony Lippett- Michigan St.- One of my favorite sleepers in this draft, Lippett has great size (6'2) and has the stride and jump ball ability to be a threat on the outside. 86.7 of his catches went for first downs this past year. He would be a great fit on the outside in Norv's offense.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMyasvk0F7U

Round 5 via Cleveland(147th overall)

DT/DE- Henry Anderson- Stanford- More versatility for Zimmer. Anderson was a force for Stanford this year racking up 8.5 sacks and 15 TFL. He can play both inside and outside which is something Zimmer looks for.

Round 7 (229th overall)

QB- Connor Halliday- Washington St.- He will fill out 3rd string QB spot.

Round 7 via Miami via San Francisco (233rd overall)

OT- Corey Robinson- South Carolina- Robinson provides depth at the offensive tackle spot and can push guys like Richardson and Harris.

....Hope you guys enjoyed the read!!! :smilevike:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Re: PHP's "Pre-Draft" 2015 Mock Offseason

Post by S197 »

I'd be surprised if Dawson lasts until the 76th pick but that would be a nice pickup. My sleeper pick at WR is Ty Montgomery, not as polished as Lippett but his play style seems conducive to Norv's offense and his big frame can make him a nice threat if he can clean up the mechanics.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:I'd be surprised if Dawson lasts until the 76th pick but that would be a nice pickup. My sleeper pick at WR is Ty Montgomery, not as polished as Lippett but his play style seems conducive to Norv's offense and his big frame can make him a nice threat if he can clean up the mechanics.
Dawson is a tough one to figure out. Not only did he have a bad combine but he supposedly has "character issues" as well so that could also make him fall. Although, his game tape is very very good so who knows honestly

As for Montgomery, him and Lippett are very similar. They need to refine a few skills but are both big WR's that have good hands and balls skills. I would be happy with either one.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Man its a total crap shoot for predicting who goes when... I like most of these guys and drafted a lot of them

I am guessing the 25th pick was for Peterson ??

I would probably try and land Collins someone else at 25 but that is only because Thompson is an unknown
guy of sorts... Safety or Linebacker..

Marpet OG is a guy that has been moving almost 50 spots depending on which engine and board you are on...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

jackal wrote:Man its a total crap shoot for predicting who goes when... I like most of these guys and drafted a lot of them

I am guessing the 25th pick was for Peterson ??

I would probably try and land Collins someone else at 25 but that is only because Thompson is an unknown
guy of sorts... Safety or Linebacker..

Marpet OG is a guy that has been moving almost 50 spots depending on which engine and board you are on...
Yeah I have the Peterson trade bolded in red right after the free agents.

I understand what you say about Thompson but that's the kind of player Zimmer likes. That's exactly what he's done with Taylor Mays. Obviously Zimmer has serious interest as well since they've met with him multiple times and conducted a private workout.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Interesting, as usual, PHP.

I wonder who you think is the best all around RB in the draft. That can block, pick up blitzes, and can catch. And then make something out of nothing.
Last edited by PurpleKoolaid on Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:THE VIKINGS DECIDE TO TRADE ADRIAN PETERSON AND THEIR 2016 5TH ROUND PICK TO THE ARIZONA CARDINALS FOR THEIR 2015 1ST ROUND PICK (25TH OVERALL)
It's possible, depending on compensation and how the picks end up, I could get on board. Especially if things can't get worked out I don't see how the Vikings could expect to get any more than this next offseason (of course, one could argue their chances of getting this high of pick is unlikely). I still want AD to finish his career in Purple. But it's almost like the Vikings and Peterson don't even care about that.
Round 1 (12th)

CB- Trae Waynes- Michigan St.- Adding Waynes to our defensive backfield will create one of the best CB duo's in the game with Xavier Rhodes already manning one side. Waynes is very similar to Rhodes. He is a taller, more physical CB that has shutdown potential. He's a press-man corner that loves to bump and run. Waynes couldn't be a better fit for Zimmer's system. We could be one of the first teams to have 2 legitimate shutdown corners 8)
This is certainly possible with the amount of attention and visits he's had with the Vikings so far. I, for one, am not quite as high on Waynes as many are (I put him much closer to the other four of Johnson, Peters, Jones & Collins). That said, I have confidence if Zimmer green light's the pick that he'll be a very solid player. I just have my reservations. If we're going to keep the pick, I'd prefer to go with Cooper, Parker or Scherff, if any are there.

My alternate (if the aforementioned players are not there) would be to trade out of the spot (ideally with Philly for a nice haul), but perhaps with a team like Kansas City or Houston. Then use the first pick on Cameron Erving, Kevin Johnson or Todd Gurley. I know many might think that spot is too early for these picks, but I love Erving and depending on where you put Scherff (tackle or guard), Erving is the top-ranked interior lineman in the draft. He'd instantly fill the hole at LG while offering position versatility on all line positions. And while I know some Vikings fans wouldn't be happy with Gurley in the short-term, I think his long-term potential will help soften the blow of losing AD. He's a top-15-type talent when he's healthy and an offensive playmaker in every sense of the word. Despite his suspension and injury he still rushed for 911 yards on 7.4 yards per carry in 2014, and finished with 3,285 yards on 6.4 yards per carry and rushed for 36 touchdowns in three seasons. He added 615 receiving yards, six receiving touchdowns and two kickoff return touchdowns. And I love Kevin Johnson's game/tape and don't think there's any way he drops out of the first round now. He was a top performer in most all combine drills. He has the cover skills, athleticism and competitiveness you look for. I've slobbered over him enough over the last month, even though I don't know if Zimmer is as high on him as he seems to be on Waynes and Peters.
Round 1 (25th) via Arizona

OLB/S- Shaq Thompson- Washington- Many might think we would go RB here but with the depth of this years RB class, we have plenty of patience. As for Thompson, Zimmer and staff have met with him multiple times already and have held a private workout with him. He is a very rangy athletic LB that is a big time playmaker. Adding Barr last year and now Thompson on the weak side, our LB corps will be freakishly athletic on the outside and bad a## in the middle (that pick will be coming soon). Adding Waynes and Thompson this early in the draft already make this defense a top 10 defense in the league.
I like Thompson. A lot. he's a defensive playmaker (and just a stud athlete). But I can't help but wonder if we wouldn't be able to land him in round 2 since he may have the "tweener" label. If we do a Rick Special and trade back into the first round, my vote is for Kendricks. Thompson is a bit of an enigma to me. Traditionally Zimmer has seemed to prefer bigger guys at OLB, guys that are 250+ pounds. That isn't nor ever will be Thompson. However, I think Zimmer is creative enough to utilize him successfully. I'd prefer him to play base SS and shift to LB on third downs (and other specific situations). The thought of Barr, Kendricks, Thompson, Kevin Johnson, Rhodes and Smith back there just makes me giddy. I think Thompson could be better at SS long-term than Collins, offering big-play ability at both positions. I wouldn't mind if the Vikings traded back into the first to grab him. I just selfishly want Kendricks and Thompson, though I realize that's probably not possible.
Round 2 (58th) via Baltimore

RB- Jay Ajayi- Boise St.- The "J-Train"!!!! Ajayi has recently bumped ahead of Tevin Coleman in my RB rankings. Scouts have been raving about him saying that his running style fits perfectly into the NFL. He has a very similar build to Adrian Peterson and carries the ball like Marshawn Lynch. There is no doubt in my mind that he can be a workhorse in the NFL. Similar to a Jeremy Hill of last years draft. He's explosive and runs very powerful. He will be an immediate starter with McKinnon providing 3rd down duties.
I haven't watched a ton of Ajayi, but I like what I've seen so far to a certain degree. However there are parts to his game of which I'm not the biggest fan. His 40 time (4.57) really surprised me (and not in a good way). While his body type may be similar to Peterson and Lynch, he's not the same athletically and I'm not sure it's particularly close. He surprisingly matches up better to Toby Gerhart than he does Peterson (Toby ran a faster 40 by .07 at an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier and they match up similarly on the vertical and broad jump). He seems to want to bounce it outside a lot, but many times lacks the speed to be very successful if/when he gets there. He also has an injury history and some character concerns. Good pass catcher and can play all three downs, often picking up "chunk" yards. Coleman is still higher on my own board, but both are measurably further from Gurley. I suppose if I'm being honest, I don't want to go from Peterson to an "OK" back. I want to maintain an elite talent at the position and I'm not sure Ajayi gives me enough as a second-rounder that McKinnon hasn't already shown me he can do. Ajayi would need to fall to the third round for me.

That said, in my scenario above we traded down from 11, so we get to keep #45. In which case, I turn my card in for Shaq Thompson, Cann (if no Erving), Breshad Perriman or Arik Armstead (this is predicated on having already taken a corner and LB earlier).
Round 3 (76th)

MLB- Paul Dawson- TCU- Zimmer and his staff seem to be a big fan of Dawson's after meeting with him multiple times and conducting a private workout. Dawson will probably see his stock fall due to a poor combine however, it works out well in our favor. He is a very instinctive thumper in the middle that will complete our LB corps for years to come.
I know this may crush some folks here but I'm passing on Dawson. It's possible guys lacking athletically to his degree turn out to be good players, but they're fighting long odds. If we draft him, I hope I'm wrong. Instead, my pick is DE Nate Orchard, who had an outstanding 2014 (84 tackles, 21.5 TFL and 18.5 sacks last season). He can be Robison's heir apparent, though I'm concerned about his athleticism a bit, which is why I think he falls to here. There's also some rumblings about "one hit wonder" (only 3 sacks in 2013). He had 10 tackles, 3.5 sacks and one forced fumble vs. Stanford (and potential first-round LT Peat). He seems to be more "quick" than "fast", with a high motor. Zimmer can work with that.

Another interesting option here is CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu and/or QB Garrett Grayson. Grayson ranked second in the nation behind Mariota last year in yards per attempt average (9.5), and trailed only Mariota in completion percentage on deep passes. Sounds like a Turner guy to me. Grayson posted 7,975 yards and a 55/18 TD/INT ratio across 27 starts for the Rams over the past two years. From what I've seen and read, he has potential. If the Vikings want to get serious about the QB spot, this wouldn't be a bad place to start.
Round 3 (90th) via Baltimore

OG- Ali Marpet- Hobart- Marpet was a big winner at the combine and has been on the rise. However, I think the 3rd round is where his range is right now due to attending small school. Hobart is actually only a few hours from where I live and my best friend played football and lacrosse there a few years back so I have always kept tabs on their program. Marpet looks to be a great fit for Turner's system athletically and schematically. I think he is a great value pick at this point.
Depending on what we do earlier in my scenario, I like this pick. With the Vikings hitting on small-schooler Fusco, there's some precedent here. I'd love the value here because I've seen some speculate he could go #50 overall to Buffalo. I also would feel confident taking Dorial Green-Beckham in this spot, but he'll likely be long gone. Another interesting receiving option here would be Kansas State WR Tyler Locket. He'd be an interesting guy to have on the roster while you're deciding what you're going to do with Wright. He can get open at will at times (that'd be refreshing). He also has some returning chops. He has some T.Y. Hilton in him. RB David Johnson is an interesting option here as well. And I'll throw out Miller here, too, depending on if we've done anything to address guard earlier.
Round 4 (110th overall)

S- Damarious Randall- Arizona St.- Randall is another guy that we had a private workout with. He's is a very instinctive safety with great balls skills. He is a very physical run defender even though he is somewhat undersized. He could develop into a solid starter down the road for us.
I don't know much about him but cursory glances have decent evaluations (particularly his coverage skills). I wonder if P.J. Williams' latest arrest drops him down this far.
Round 5 via Buffalo via Tampa Bay (137th overall)

WR- Tony Lippett- Michigan St.- One of my favorite sleepers in this draft, Lippett has great size (6'2) and has the stride and jump ball ability to be a threat on the outside. 86.7 of his catches went for first downs this past year. He would be a great fit on the outside in Norv's offense.
I'd take a flyer here on Lippett as a corner. Sounds like he can transition well and has intriguing measurables. The next Richard Sherman maybe? :o
Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio said a scout told him that Michigan State WR Tony Lippett has "hawk awareness." "He can pick the ball up at the blink of an eye and determine where it's going and pick it," Dantonio said. "I really think today opened a lot of people's eyes."
Round 5 via Cleveland(147th overall)

DT/DE- Henry Anderson- Stanford- More versatility for Zimmer. Anderson was a force for Stanford this year racking up 8.5 sacks and 15 TFL. He can play both inside and outside which is something Zimmer looks for.
Apparently he "couldn't be blocked" at the Senior Bowl. He's on the bigger side to play on the outside. He's an interesting guy with some upside I'd take a chance on here at DT.
Round 7 (229th overall)

QB- Connor Halliday- Washington St.- He will fill out 3rd string QB spot.
Couldn't hurt if they pass on Grayson earlier (which they probably will). I think I recall reading he broke the NCAA passing yardage record by throwing for some stupid number (over 700 yards) last season before he broke his leg. Not the biggest arm though.
....Hope you guys enjoyed the read!!! :smilevike:
Absolutely. Thanks for putting these together! I hope you don't mind the feedback!
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Related: Evan Silva's recently-released Vikings 7-round mock: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/5 ... ds-vikings

I don't agree with everything here, but some of his picks make sense and we see some familiar names.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yeah I think Zimmer really favors flexibility and speed.
The interview Greenway did eluded to this. Being able
to hide defensive schemes from opponents.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Interesting, as usual, PHP.

I wonder who you think is the best all around RB in the draft. That can block, pick up blitzes, and can catch. And then make something out of nothing.
I would still have to say Gurley is the best all around back. However, you just don't know what the deal is with his knee. Gordon's stock has dropped a little for me. Coleman is pretty neutral just because I haven't gotten another look at him because he is currently hurt. Two guys I would love are either Jay Ajayi or TJ Yeldon.
Boise State RB Jay Ajayi "ranks anywhere from a high of No. 2 on running back boards around the league to a low of No. 6," according to TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.
We've heard rumblings that Ajayi has perhaps moved ahead of Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon on a few boards, and now a plugged-in reporter is confirming the same. "I'm told Jay Ajayi looked good in running back drills, especially catching the ball," Pauline wrote of the prospect's pro day. Ajayi elected not to run the forty, standing on his combine numbers (4.57 forty; 1.59 10; 4.1 20-yard shuttle; 7.1 second 3-cone). Ajayi dined with the San Diego Chargers on Tuesday. Mar 19 - 10:56 PM
NFL Media analyst Charles Davis is "hearing more and more buzz" about Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon.
"The thing is, Yeldon has often been left out of discussions about the top running backs in the draft," Davis wrote. "I think the team that lands him in the middle rounds will be very happy with the value he provides, though. He's a talented rusher with good receiving ability." NFL Media colleague Bucky Brooks agrees, seeing the 6-foot-2, 221-pound Yeldon as the undervalued RB in this years' class. "Yeldon is productive, and I was on hand last month for his pro day, where he ran very well," Davis wrote. "The stopwatches I saw had him in the mid-4.4s, a big improvement from his NFL Scouting Combine 40 (4.61)."

If we had a shot to get Gurley, in the mock I have above, it would be very very hard to pass on but at the same time you're also taking somewhat of a gamble. Although, the good thing about Gurley is, he tore his ACL only. There was no other structural damage and the way they operate on ACLs today, I think he'll be back to his old self in no time. But hey, I'm no doctor :D

As for Ajayi and Yeldon (maybe even Coleman), I think they give us the biggest bang for our buck right now. They won't cost us an overly early round pick and they carry great value and can carry the load.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Dead Poet.....I'll respond to your post later tonight! It's just tough now because I'm at work and going off my phone. But yes I defitely appreciate the feedback!
-Chazz Palminteri
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

At 25 I would much rather have Kendricks over Thompson. I also think that because I really don't think dawson will be there that late, and I think the need at middle linebacker is more than that of outside linebacker. I want to see hodges more at OLB.

And please no TJ Yeldon, he has a bust feeling to me.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Norv Zimmer wrote:At 25 I would much rather have Kendricks over Thompson. I also think that because I really don't think dawson will be there that late, and I think the need at middle linebacker is more than that of outside linebacker. I want to see hodges more at OLB.

And please no TJ Yeldon, he has a bust feeling to me.
I would love Kendricks too. His stock is starting to rise so who knows if he's sitting there at 25 but I definitely wouldn't be upset if we drafted him there.

As for Yeldon, he's one of the best downhill runners in this draft IMO and according to analysts as well. I wasn't a fan at first but the more I watch and hear, he's going to have great value in those mid rounds
-Chazz Palminteri
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Great job as always, PHP! I love these mocks that you do!

I think your picks here are logical ones. The first two are really intriguing because they would be big help for the D.

Actually, the fact that the Vikings like Trae Waynes might be the worst kept secret in the draft. I hope the Vikings aren't just posing with their interest in him. Waynes is the kind of guy that could add impact to the D secondary.

I agree that the Vikings taking Barr last year shows what kind of all-around athlete they want at the OLB positions. I'm hoping Shaq Thompson ends up with the Vikings. He helps bring the kind of aggression to the D that Zimmer seems to want. And I think a constantly attacking defense is what the team needs.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Watching video, I almost like Peters better then Waynes now. Waynes is fast, but so is Josh Robinson, and ive never thought of him as a good DB. Peters might be the best all around CB in the draft. I really like him after watching more of him. But I would love to see Waynes return kicks. CP seems to have forgotten how.