Vikes sign behemoth OL Babatunde Aiyegbusi

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikes sign behemoth OL Babatunde Aiyegbusi

Post by DK Sweets »

Demi wrote:Davidson will coach him up and come next year he'll replace Kalil. :smilevike:
The only April Fools joke on the board...
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

KSViking wrote: That would sure be nice, I just don't have alot of confidence in it happening. But like true Viking fans, we can always hope for best.
He coached up Loadholt after he came into the league looking like a scrub who couldn't pass block to save his life. And has improved every year.

He coached up two late round interior linemen to more than competent players.

He wasn't even anything at left guards.

And no way you can blame him for Kalil being as mentally weak as he is.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I read another story and the first thing
he wanted to find in America was red
bag of M&M's ....He played basketball
and was reffered to football because of
his rough play. He has a wife and son.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

A little context. Babatunde Aiyegbusi played three or four years in the Polish American Football League (depending on what source you want to use) and played last year in the German American Football League. These are professional leagues only in the sense that (some) players get some minimal compensation. In reality they are more like amateur leagues than professional.

In the PFL only a few players are paid a minimal amount; the rest have to pay dues to cover their equipment, travel and other costs. Let me put that another way, the vast majority of players in the PFL actually have to pay to play. The coaching staffs are either part-time or volunteer. In the GFL, where the level of competition is better, it's pretty similar. Everyone gets the same contract: room & board, a transportation allowance and around 300 euros a month (less than $400).

This isn't anything like NFL Europe that folded in 2006. In the GFL a team is only allowed to have two Americans on the field at any time (for competition reasons). Most of these guys have part-time or full-time jobs (they have to in order to survive). Because of that they only practice once or twice a week. What kind of coaching do you think they get at practice?

While Babatunde Aiyegbusi has an intriguing mix of size and athleticism he's almost a blank slate at 27 years old. His biggest challenge will be developing the technique necessary to play in the NFL and by looking at his YT videos he has a long way to go. Unfortunately between now and training camp the Vikings coaches can only have contact with him during the rookie minicamp (3 days) and OTAs (9 days). The OTAs have some strict limitations on what teams can do and for part of them coaches are not even allowed on the field. The best thing for him would be working with an OL coach (not on the Vikings staff) that can help him with his technique. Maybe there's a college OL coach or former pro player living in the Twin Cities (Randal McDaniel?) that would be willing to work with Aiyegbusi for free. If the Vikings paid someone to coach him outside of minicamp or OTAs that would be a violation of the CBA.

It would be a great story if Aiyegbusi made the roster but realistically it's the longest of long shots. Does anyone really think Aiyegbusi is a better prospect than Michael Harris, Carter Bykowski, Austin Wentworth or Tiny Richardson (assuming Tiny's knees are okay to play). I think it would take at least a couple of years on the practice squad before Aiyegbusi could even sniff playing time in the NFL. That would make him a 29 year old rookie.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pseudo Everything wrote:A little context. Babatunde Aiyegbusi played three or four years in the Polish American Football League (depending on what source you want to use) and played last year in the German American Football League. These are professional leagues only in the sense that (some) players get some minimal compensation. In reality they are more like amateur leagues than professional.

In the PFL only a few players are paid a minimal amount; the rest have to pay dues to cover their equipment, travel and other costs. Let me put that another way, the vast majority of players in the PFL actually have to pay to play. The coaching staffs are either part-time or volunteer. In the GFL, where the level of competition is better, it's pretty similar. Everyone gets the same contract: room & board, a transportation allowance and around 300 euros a month (less than $400).

This isn't anything like NFL Europe that folded in 2006. In the GFL a team is only allowed to have two Americans on the field at any time (for competition reasons). Most of these guys have part-time or full-time jobs (they have to in order to survive). Because of that they only practice once or twice a week. What kind of coaching do you think they get at practice?

While Babatunde Aiyegbusi has an intriguing mix of size and athleticism he's almost a blank slate at 27 years old. His biggest challenge will be developing the technique necessary to play in the NFL and by looking at his YT videos he has a long way to go. Unfortunately between now and training camp the Vikings coaches can only have contact with him during the rookie minicamp (3 days) and OTAs (9 days). The OTAs have some strict limitations on what teams can do and for part of them coaches are not even allowed on the field. The best thing for him would be working with an OL coach (not on the Vikings staff) that can help him with his technique. Maybe there's a college OL coach or former pro player living in the Twin Cities (Randal McDaniel?) that would be willing to work with Aiyegbusi for free. If the Vikings paid someone to coach him outside of minicamp or OTAs that would be a violation of the CBA.

It would be a great story if Aiyegbusi made the roster but realistically it's the longest of long shots. Does anyone really think Aiyegbusi is a better prospect than Michael Harris, Carter Bykowski, Austin Wentworth or Tiny Richardson (assuming Tiny's knees are okay to play). I think it would take at least a couple of years on the practice squad before Aiyegbusi could even sniff playing time in the NFL. That would make him a 29 year old rookie.
Of course he's a long shot. But what's wrong with rooting for a long shot? I think we all know, realistically, he's not going to be on the active 53 anytime soon. But, hell, Jimmy Graham played organized football for exactly one year at Miami before getting drafted in the third round. Julius Thomas only played football one year. Ziggy Ansah only had two years of organized football before being a first-rounder. Nick Hardwick and Chester Pitts didn't play football until college. Stacy Andrews played in the NFL for seven years as an offensive guard (and has a Super Bowl ring) having played five college football games! And do I really need to say much more than Christian Okoye? The 49ers recently signed Jarryd Hayne, a rugby star.

Is it impossible to make it in the NFL with a lack of experience? No. There have been successful NFL players that have already done it. It's just not likely.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote: Of course he's a long shot. But what's wrong with rooting for a long shot? I think we all know, realistically, he's not going to be on the active 53 anytime soon. But, hell, Jimmy Graham played organized football for exactly one year at Miami before getting drafted in the third round. Julius Thomas only played football one year. Ziggy Ansah only had two years of organized football before being a first-rounder. Nick Hardwick and Chester Pitts didn't play football until college. Stacy Andrews played in the NFL for seven years as an offensive guard (and has a Super Bowl ring) having played five college football games! And do I really need to say much more than Christian Okoye? The 49ers recently signed Jarryd Hayne, a rugby star.

Is it impossible to make it in the NFL with a lack of experience? No. There have been successful NFL players that have already done it. It's just not likely.
There is also a chance that he makes the team as a kicker :lol:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

dead_poet wrote:Of course he's a long shot. But what's wrong with rooting for a long shot?
There's absolutely nothing wrong with rooting for a long shot. I've never said there was. I'll be rooting for him just like I will for every other guy we have on the roster going into training camp. If Aiyegbusi can somehow (miraculously) help the Vikings that would be great. Everyone likes an underdog beating the odds especially lottery type odds.

Of the guys you listed for comparison to Aiyegbusi all of them have played US college football. They all had some experience. I'm not including Hayne because he hasn't proven anything and is basically in the same situation as Aiyegbusi. Excluding kickers and punters I don't believe there's ever been a foreign born player (ex-Canada) who did not play US college football make it in the NFL. Maybe Aiyegbusi will be able to break new ground and if he does it as a Viking that would be great. Going from a European beer league to the NFL would be an amazing accomplishment.
dead_poet wrote: I think we all know, realistically, he's not going to be on the active 53 anytime soon.
Yes, I agree and I think this is very relevant because of his age. He's 27. Let's assume he makes the practice squad this year so next year if he doesn't make the 53 man roster would you put him back on the practice squad when he's 28?
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

He's intriguing and, no doubt, understands his own odds. That could actually work in his favor as far as giving it everything he's got and being coachable.
I imagine he'd be a huge liability in pass protection which will leave him with a lot of ground to cover in a short time.
Just going through camp will broaden his horizon technique-wise and he can develop playing anywhere, even in beer leagues, after that.....maybe he'll be a late bloomer.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

The Breeze wrote:He's intriguing and, no doubt, understands his own odds. That could actually work in his favor as far as giving it everything he's got and being coachable.
I imagine he'd be a huge liability in pass protection which will leave him with a lot of ground to cover in a short time.
Just going through camp will broaden his horizon technique-wise and he can develop playing anywhere, even in beer leagues, after that.....maybe he'll be a late bloomer.
Maybe he can make it onto the "Taxi Squad" the first year. I will be pulling for him :thumbsup:

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pseudo Everything wrote:Yes, I agree and I think this is very relevant because of his age. He's 27. Let's assume he makes the practice squad this year so next year if he doesn't make the 53 man roster would you put him back on the practice squad when he's 28?
If they felt it would pay off, why not? 28 is still young. Suppose he needs two years of seasoning on the PS to become a solid backup or even to compete for a starting job. Even if he didn't contribute beyond the PS until he was 29, he could potentially have 5+ years of football in him.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I know he needs some work...

The guy might even be able to be used in special teams and goal line packages
Xivios
Practice Squad

Post by Xivios »

Pseudo Everything wrote:
This isn't anything like NFL Europe that folded in 2006. In the GFL a team is only allowed to have two Americans on the field at any time (for competition reasons). Most of these guys have part-time or full-time jobs (they have to in order to survive). Because of that they only practice once or twice a week. What kind of coaching do you think they get at practice? .
Almost everything you wrote is correct. The American players are paid not more than 500€/month. They get an acommondation, Burger King goupons as well a free membership of the fitness center.
But one thing is not correct: Practice is more than "once or twice a week". When I played for the Dresden Monarchs ( the Team of the Highlight video) practice took place on Monday, Tuesday (theory), Thursday and Saturday for at least 3 hours. That is not much for professional football but more than enough for students, fulltime workers or men with young children.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Xivios wrote: Almost everything you wrote is correct. The American players are paid not more than 500€/month. They get an acommondation, Burger King goupons as well a free membership of the fitness center.
But one thing is not correct: Practice is more than "once or twice a week". When I played for the Dresden Monarchs ( the Team of the Highlight video) practice took place on Monday, Tuesday (theory), Thursday and Saturday for at least 3 hours. That is not much for professional football but more than enough for students, fulltime workers or men with young children.
Did you join VMB to follow Babatunde?

Xivios
Practice Squad

Post by Xivios »

Purple bruise wrote: Did you join VMB to follow Babatunde?
Ehm no, not at all. What makes you think of that?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

BAPS is an easy guy to write for.

I know he might be a long shot but I
Really want to see him mauling Packers
this season