Vikes sign behemoth OL Babatunde Aiyegbusi

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikes sign behemoth OL Babatunde Aiyegbusi

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote: I think he was babbling there when he said that. He said before that that he was excited to face the defensive guys and be a productive member of the team (paraphrasing). He admits he's "a big guy with no technique." His odds were already long and got longer after the draft with the influx of offensive linemen. Still, hopefully he can put it together and be productive. I'll be focusing on him in camp videos.
I think he was talking about when his playing career is over he wants to go back to Poland and teach the techniques and things he learns to the youth over there. He specifically mentioned not having as good of coaches over there and the euro players not having as good of technique.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Could Babatunde Aiyegbusi Wind Up On The Practice Squad?

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/5/21/ ... tice-squad
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

dead_poet wrote:Could Babatunde Aiyegbusi Wind Up On The Practice Squad?

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/5/21/ ... tice-squad
I was wondering why the league rejected the Lions' request to get this exemption for their Norwegian kicker. Found this from PFT: Rugland said the league apparently told the Lions that the rule was made in regard to NFL Europe, which no longer exists.

So while this international exemption to the PS is still in the CBA it sounds like it's only there due to an oversight and should be deleted. Aiyegbusi will have to earn one of those 10 PS spots. If he shows anything at all in training camp that shouldn't be a problem. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in pass protection in full contact drills. Expect he'll get beat fairly regularly early on. Have to see how quickly he can acquire the technique and skill necessary to play in the NFL. He's got a huge hill to climb but ... ya never know.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/polish-pro ... --nfl.html
''I consider myself as a smart guy, so I feel like I can handle the playbook,'' Aiyegbusi said, catching his breath after a recent practice. ''But still, in Europe, my physique was good enough for beating everyone. And down here, you guys are big and strong. And they've got good technique. If he's not stronger than you, he's probably got better technique and knows what you will do before you do it, actually.''
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I know baps got a bigger contact than most undrafted guys get..1.75 million dollars over a couple years

I think the Vikings brain trust did that to discourage another team from plucking him from our practice squad.

I think league minimum is about four hundred thousand if a player is on the 53 a certain number of games.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I think he could be a really promising Punt return man........ :point:
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

jackal wrote:I know baps got a bigger contact than most undrafted guys get..1.75 million dollars over a couple years

I think the Vikings brain trust did that to discourage another team from plucking him from our practice squad.

I think league minimum is about four hundred thousand if a player is on the 53 a certain number of games.

Looks like Babs got the same contract as Brian Peters, Chrishon Rose, Leon Mackey, etc. $1,575M, 3 years, no bonus. First year salary is $435M or the league minimum. Not sure about this but I think all first year players that are undrafted are slotted in at the same deal with the only difference being whether a team wants to offer a signing bonus or some other guarantee.

If he doesn't make the 53 man roster and is released his contact is void. He then has to clear waivers before we could offer him a spot on the practice squad.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I have a feeling that this is the guy everyone is going to be pushing for more then anyone else, to make the 53 man roster. I really, really want, Diggs to make it too, but I dont see us keeping CP and having Diggs on the roster too. Ive always like Adam Thielen, but think Diggs is better, I hope we dont waste too much time letting receivers try and work through slups.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Aiyegbusi working hard, but admits, 'There's a long way for me to go'

http://www.startribune.com/aiyegbusi-wo ... 319986531/
During the first week of training camp, Aiyegbusi has typically been one of the last players to walk off the field, and even though he looks exhausted, he still makes time to sign autographs for kids and talk to reporters. He said he has no choice but to get extra practice in if he wants to stick around.

“It’s the only way you can catch up,” he said. “I’m always not satisfied with my technique. There’s a long way for me to go. These guys that I practice with having been playing at a high level over here for a long time.”

The coaches see the effort that the 27-year-old Pole is putting in.

“Each day he’s working hard to improve,” offensive line coach Jeff Davidson said. “He’s got a lot to learn still in the game. A lot of us do. He is, obviously, a big physical presence. He’s got a lot of stuff to learn with his game first. It’s technique. It’s offense. It’s terms. It’s everything.”
“Guys with his size don’t come along very often,” Davidson said. “So it’s certainly worth working with a guy like that to see what he can become.”
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I'm guessing right now the 53, is not likely...

The practice squad might be ... If he spends a year or two on the squad he
could still have a few good years.

The guy just has a good personality and work ethic ..not to mention as big as a
stone giant..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

ZERO chance that Diggs doesnt make the team.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mercy Percy wrote:ZERO chance that Diggs doesnt make the team.
Captain Obvious :wink:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.