Jerick McKinnon

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Jerick McKinnon

Post by Crax »

Boon wrote: goes down too easy? i would imagine durability as a secondary concern but I didn't notice him being a paper plate. he seems pretty sturdy
I guess in my mind, compared to Peterson, but that isn't a fair comparison now that I think about it.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Well the guy is not going to be a power back--- ever

He can block effectively I believe and if we get a good OL FINALLY!!

He will be a demon running through the secondary... I was just wanna see him bust for three
touchdowns against the Pack a few times...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:Well the guy is not going to be a power back--- ever

He can block effectively I believe and if we get a good OL FINALLY!!

He will be a demon running through the secondary... I was just wanna see him bust for three
touchdowns against the Pack a few times...
Improving the OL and having the horses at WR to take the top off of a defense would create the potential for Peterson to have his best statistical season ever.

He has put up these numbers while somewhat mired in the dink and dunk WC offenses we've had the last few years, with QB play that has been mediocre. In Turner's system Peterson is apt to find a whole lot more room to run than he ever has before.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Like I said, its a 2 back league now. I havent seen anything in McKinnon to make me think he isnt conditioned to be the main back. And unlike AD I bet he can learn to block and catch.

Anyone heard any info on the Gohers RB, Cobb? Is his career over as a RB?
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

IF Adrian doesn't end up with our team this year, I do not see a need to draft a running back in the first 2 days. Jerrick learned a new position last year as a rookie in the NFL and looked pretty good when he got the chance. I am hoping he improves on his blocking and is able to become a three down back for us. If our O line is improved he will look even better with the ball in his hands. He can be the man for us.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mmvikes wrote:IF Adrian doesn't end up with our team this year, I do not see a need to draft a running back in the first 2 days. Jerrick learned a new position last year as a rookie in the NFL and looked pretty good when he got the chance. I am hoping he improves on his blocking and is able to become a three down back for us. If our O line is improved he will look even better with the ball in his hands. He can be the man for us.
The more I reflect on last season, the more I believe Matt Asiata also showed pretty well. He's not flashy at all, but he's a great short yardage back, and he put up decent production without much of a vertical threat and with a makeshift offensive line. He's not a number 1 back, but he has a place within the offense that shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Rudolf should have a great year or one of the other players (Bostick)

When Norv Turner was in SD Gates made a living at crossing the middle
and eating up the line backers.

My biggest concern is still the O line especially Left side .. I am hoping we get a really solid
LG and Kalil returns to his rookie season form.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I like McKinnon, but like other posters have stated this is not a 1 RB league and we need another guy whether that be AP or a 2nd round talent ( abdullah, Ajayi, Coleman) in that order for me :v): I was super pumped when they drafted him, I told my buddy that they would draft him pre draft.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

fiestavike wrote: The more I reflect on last season, the more I believe Matt Asiata also showed pretty well. He's not flashy at all, but he's a great short yardage back, and he put up decent production without much of a vertical threat and with a makeshift offensive line. He's not a number 1 back, but he has a place within the offense that shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.
I wish they would try him at FB... He is great at picking up the blitz, and could help make some big holes for AD or whoever is running for the Vikes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Like I said, its a 2 back league now. I havent seen anything in McKinnon to make me think he isnt conditioned to be the main back. And unlike AD I bet he can learn to block and catch.

Anyone heard any info on the Gohers RB, Cobb? Is his career over as a RB?

It's not like Adrian couldn't catch. It's just that our brain dead coaching staff that we use to have never used him in the passing game. As for McKinnon, the fact that he is 5'9 doesn't bode well for being a workhorse. Look at Gio Bernard. There aren't many 5'9 RBs out there that can carry a load year in and year out. So the odds are against McKinnon IMO.

And why would Cobb's career as a RB be over?? If anything, he's climbing up draft boards. Looking like a 4th-5th round pick
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
It's not like Adrian couldn't catch. It's just that our brain dead coaching staff that we use to have never used him in the passing game. As for McKinnon, the fact that he is 5'9 doesn't bode well for being a workhorse. Look at Gio Bernard. There aren't many 5'9 RBs out there that can carry a load year in and year out. So the odds are against McKinnon IMO.

And why would Cobb's career as a RB be over?? If anything, he's climbing up draft boards. Looking like a 4th-5th round pick
He got hurt right? I will go look it up, cause he really impressed me.
I think Asiata and Mck could easily be a threat in the backfield, especially once we fix the line. McK went so high because he has that step, kinda like AD, right when he hits the line. But none of our backs are as durable as AD. Heck, only a handful in the NFL are.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Jerick McKinnon

Post by DK Sweets »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:As for McKinnon, the fact that he is 5'9 doesn't bode well for being a workhorse. Look at Gio Bernard. There aren't many 5'9 RBs out there that can carry a load year in and year out. So the odds are against McKinnon IMO.
Top 5 Leading Rushers in NFL History:
Curtis Martin 5'11
Walter Payton - 5'10
LaDainain Tomlinson - 5'10
Emmitt Smith - 5'9
Barry Sanders - 5'8

Jerick McKinnon is 5'9 and weighs 215. Payton and Sanders were 15 pounds lighter, Curtis Martin was 5 pounds lighter, and LT and Emmitt Smith were the same weight. It seems to me that he's actually the perfect size.

To compare to some of the best in the league today: Marshawn Lynch is 5'11 and 215, Lesean McCoy is 5'11 205, and Jamaal Charles is 5'11 200.

McKinnon's combine numbers in the 40 yard dash, 20 yard dash, 10 yard dash, 20 yard shuttle, and 3 cone drill are identical to Jamaal Charles, so his speed, agility, and acceleration are clearly not the issue.

His height fits right in with the top 5 yardage leaders in league history. He's as fast as Charles and as heavy as Lynch in a shorter frame.

I'm not saying that he will ever be as good as ANY of the players I just mentioned, but physically nothing is holding him back.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

DK Sweets wrote:Top 5 Leading Rushers in NFL History:
Curtis Martin 5'11
Walter Payton - 5'10
LaDainain Tomlinson - 5'10
Emmitt Smith - 5'9
Barry Sanders - 5'8

Jerick McKinnon is 5'9 and weighs 215. Payton and Sanders were 15 pounds lighter, Curtis Martin was 5 pounds lighter, and LT and Emmitt Smith were the same weight. It seems to me that he's actually the perfect size.

To compare to some of the best in the league today: Marshawn Lynch is 5'11 and 215, Lesean McCoy is 5'11 205, and Jamaal Charles is 5'11 200.

McKinnon's combine numbers in the 40 yard dash, 20 yard dash, 10 yard dash, 20 yard shuttle, and 3 cone drill are identical to Jamaal Charles, so his speed, agility, and acceleration are clearly not the issue.

His height fits right in with the top 5 yardage leaders in league history. He's as fast as Charles and as heavy as Lynch in a shorter frame.

I'm not saying that he will ever be as good as ANY of the players I just mentioned, but physically nothing is holding him back.
Nice post, kind of sheds some light on it.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

here's some stuff i found a couple months ago about shorter backs and league trends:
I think the truth is that there just isn't all that big of a number of guys under 5 10 built to run the football......but here are some guys just off the top of my head:
McKinnon 5'9" 216
Maurice Jones Drew 5'8" 205
Joe Morris 5'7" 195
Darrin Nelson 5'9" 184
Barry Sanders 5'8" 203
Ray Rice 5'8"
Frank Gore 5'9"

Walter Payton Ladainian Tomlinson and Marshal Faulk were each only 5'10" and only Tomlinson out weighed McKinnon

Then I came across these articles....evidently the question has come up a lot:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=489 Running backs and BMI
Quote:
A weighted average using rushing yards produces an average BMI of 29.6; the top 10 rushers of all time have a BMI of 29.7. It looks pretty clear that a BMI of close to 30 is ideal for a running back. Barry Sanders is sometimes remembered as a small back, but that's really a misnomer. He was short, but he had a BMI of 30.9. Curtis Martin and Walter Payton had BMIs below the average, but most of the top RBs had BMIs over 30. Emmit Smith and LaDainian Tomlinson are the exact same height and weight (BMI of 31.7), and Earl Campbell, Shaun Alexander and Marshall Faulk -- three MVPs -- have BMIs in the thirties. Marcus Allen, Thurman Thomas, Eric Dickerson and Tiki Barber had a ton of success with BMIs in the 27.0-28.7 range, but all relied on other skills besides sheer power. And outside of Barber, all entered the league in the '80s, when everyone was a lot smaller.

The BMI formula is simply:

703 * weight/ (height^2)

Mckinnon is 31.9 the only guys in the study who were higher:

Jerome Bettis 35.1
Jamal Lewis 33.5
Ricky Williams 32.4
Earl Campbell 32.4
Jonathon Stewart 32.6

http://www.footballperspective.com/runn ... d-heavier/

Quote:
As you can see, running back used to be a tall man’s position. But average running back height has steadily decreased, dropping 1.8 inches from 1965 to 2013. At the same time, running backs are getting heavier, although players at all positions are getting heavier. Still, I thought it would be useful to calculate an average weighted weight of running backs since 1950 using the same formula:

https://www.bsports.com/statsinsights/n ... estigation

Quote:
Like most red-blooded Americans (over forty million to be exact), I camped myself in front of the television to watch the two Championship games last Sunday. Amidst the excitement of the day and the general revelry that comes after a team you have rooted for since you were a child makes the Super Bowl (Go 49ers!), I noticed an interesting trend in both contests: diminutive running backs. Among the players that carried the ball Sunday were Ravens RB Ray Rice (5’8”), 49ers RBs Frank Gore (5’9”) and LaMichael James (5’9”), Patriots RBs Danny Woodhead (5’8”) and Shane Vereen (5’9”) and Falcons RBs Michael Turner (5’10”) and Jacquizz Rodgers (5’6”).

None of this diminishes the point that going into the season with just McKinnon and Asiata would be less than sound. But we don't know either way about McKinnon....he hurt himself lifting weights.

But small and short are 2 different things. Jerrick Mckinnon is a big dude.
http://www.vikingsmessageboard.com/view ... start=1110
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

The Breeze wrote:here's some stuff i found a couple months ago about shorter backs and league trends:
http://www.vikingsmessageboard.com/view ... start=1110
Great analysis there, thanks for that.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk